What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragon David

First Grade
It is a shame the new coach couldn't have been a month earlier while the good part of the draw was still in front of us and maybe the season was still alive.. but actually I think the board will have it done very quickly now... and then we will hear from Webb and co.
Good on you TheRev for your optimism. We might find out after the next Board meeting in about 2 weeks time. We all hope so.

possm

Coach
The Board has had more than enough time to make a decision, we need to sack Hook now and appoint a stong coach who knows how to win at NRL level.

Hasler is the MAN! Get it done now.

It is a shame the new coach couldn't have been a month earlier while the good part of the draw was still in front of us and maybe the season was still alive.. but actually I think the board will have it done very quickly now... and then we will hear from Webb and co.
Hasler should have been appointed 2023 coach in November 2022. In this way he could have had a say in recruitment and prepared the squad in a manner of his liking. Now he will have to take over a basketcase of come players who just aren't up to NRL standard.

Coffs dragon

Bench
My 2 favourite teams to watch at present, are South’s & Cronulla for their brilliant & exciting attack with ball in hand.
Is it foreseeable that their attack coaches are Ben Hornby & Josh Hannay, this is the area we seriously need to address.

I don’t care if we have 2 years of rebuilding giving some young fellas a go, as long as we show some excitement & entertain the fans having a GO!

justadragon

Bench
Yes I agree justa. Out of the available coaches, who would be the one to get us out of this mess? That is the dilemma we face because I keep on saying, we cannot take any Tom, Dick or Harry to take the reins for the next X number of years. We can't take the second best option.

The next coach has to be a dead set miracle worker and has to have the utmost capabilities of turning us around. Is that guy Hasler? Is he the Messiah? He might get us more wins, achieve making the top 8 regularly but stopping short of reaching top 4 status. Is that enough? Is this what we want? Yes, it is better than what we have endured. What do we REALLY WANT TO ACHIEVE because unless we get this right coach and the right players, this wanting to win a premiership without these ingredients might be a thing too hard for us fans?

I genuinely would be happy to see us make the top 8 regularly and at some point sneak in a top 4 possie. Is this too much to ask for? At this stage of where we are at, I'd say it isn't.
Over a 10 year period, I would like to see the Dragons making the 8, 7-8 times, a top 4 maybe for 3 years and possibly in a GF 1 year. I would be more than happy with that.

hewi

Bench
Amone should be dropped or benched for MBye and Sullivan starting 5/8. The joint is rooted and the longer they take to appoint preferably Hasler the harder it will be to resurrect the dying festering corpse of the former greatest rugby league club ever. Brings me to tears.

justadragon

Bench
My 2 favourite teams to watch at present, are South’s & Cronulla for their brilliant & exciting attack with ball in hand.
Is it foreseeable that their attack coaches are Ben Hornby & Josh Hannay, this is the area we seriously need to address.

I don’t care if we have 2 years of rebuilding giving some young fellas a go, as long as we show some excitement & entertain the fans having a GO!
Totally agree CD, we have to rebuild our attacking and defensive plays, we had bugger all of either yesterday. You have to be good at both to survive in the modern game.

Dragons have me blowing steam
Upsetting is how it would seem
But except Origin
I believe it’s a sin
To follow another League team

Walpole

Juniors
Move Hunt to 9, send whoever the "attacking coach" is on a long holiday and let Sloan, Amone and Sullivan play 1, 6 and 7 for the rest of the season and throw the ball around however they see fit. I'd rather us lose 50-30 and have some fun. This place is depressing.

Mojo

Bench
IMO all the hype re his attacking skills is undermined by his obvious inabilities in so many areas both decision making and technique.

His only potential position is wing and he could potentially develop along the lines of JAC or Nathan Blacklock both of whom had many faults early on in their careers but with a simplified role became great players.

Sloan has hypnotised many in here for years with his junior and lower grade attacking success but the many faults that were ignored were soon identified by good opposition coaches and playmakers.

Just on that point that is one thing that shits me to tears with our team and especially the likes of Hunt & De Belin because they never identify the weak link in any opposition team and target that area we just continue to attack in a very random and disorganised fashion.
Yes, I agree. I think Sloan would be better served by playing on the wing for a while. Spine positions are such highly pressured roles these days. He's a young guy with obvious talent but expecting him to be a star as soon as he entered 1st grade has been unnecessarily intimidating for him. I think it's fair to say that we've really piled it on. Desperate fans, understandably, hoping for a messiah (or three).
I think it may turn out that Hunt and Hook have done Sullivan a favour by 'delaying' his progress - although I'm sure that hasn't been their motivation.
and .. yes, I agree that the abject lack of any tactical plans or structures is very obvious. We are sooooo predictable and slow - and very sadly, we're not even good at what we do over and over and over again. It just feels like we've been trying to get it right for a decade and we're still puzzling over what we're doing wrong.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

Yes the attack from Souths and Cronulla is great and exciting to watch with their big named players in Walker/Mitchell and Hynes/Kennedy respectively leading the way. I think a coaching combination of Hornby and Hannay could possibly work for our attack and Ryles for the defence. Neither likely to come though.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, I agree. I think Sloan would be better served by playing on the wing for a while. Spine positions are such highly pressured roles these days. He's a young guy with obvious talent but expecting him to be a star as soon as he entered 1st grade has been unnecessarily intimidating for him. I think it's fair to say that we've really piled it on. Desperate fans, understandably, hoping for a messiah (or three).
I think it may turn out that Hunt and Hook have done Sullivan a favour by 'delaying' his progress - although I'm sure that's hasn't been their motivation.
Nor intention Mojo.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Before the game on Sunday there was an article about Ciraldo and how he wanted to leave Penrith twice whilst Hook was there. He basically said he was being ignored and hated his style which we can see why. He then puts out an injury ravaged team against him for his first NRL head to head encounter for which his team bombed a couple of tries mind you and had a guy on one leg on the wing not get targeted. Ciraldo was clearly the winner and it justified basically the article.

Hook had a great opportunity to clean the slate at the Dragons when he got this job, turn a new leaf and prove he can coach with the bad press he got yet he seems to have fallen on his bad habits that had him unemployed.

Mojo

Bench

and the thing is ... their attacking plays and structures aren't that complicated. Gees - just copy that! and practice, practice, practice.

jodragon40

Juniors
A new coach is a gimme but it goes all the way to those boardroom members who placed themselves in positions of authority and power overseeing our football team who had no previous experience in football, who came from sales backgrounds or TV, radio. Surely if you were running a business you would have people in positions of authority who had previous experience in that field and were successful. Not the Dragons, in fact my understanding is that we still do not have a recruitment officer since Flanagan departed. If true you can see why we are the lepers of the RL community.

jodragon40

Juniors
and the thing is ... their attacking plays and structures aren't that complicated. Gees - just copy that! and practice, practice, practice.
I said in another post that our attacking structures would have been practice every training session yet yesterday we all saw players out of position, slow passing to players standing still and the icing on the cake our cpt and our most consistent forward verbally having a go at each other. It was not a good look. My view yesterday highlights that we are a team and club divided. Those who are in the Griffin camp and those who would like to see the back of him. The Board needs to act disisively which includes removing those board members who have been complicit for the situation that our once proud club now finds itself.

Victoire

Juniors
Dragons have me blowing steam
Upsetting is how it would seem
But except Origin
I believe it’s a sin
To follow another League team
image-asset.png

Paddles

Juniors
Sadly nothings going to change in the immediate future .....Griffin will remain till season end and Hunt will end up at The Dolphins...another futile year drifts bye, 90% of our players have learnt bugger and gone backwards and our supporter base has endured yet another season of pain, frustration and misery.....end of story
Captain courageous will be wary of going there cos Bennett made him hooker and won’t cop his nonsense