What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

matPORTS

Juniors
Now that we can consign the Hook-era to the history books (please let this be the final of three "Dark Years" chapters).

The new coach (whether it is a rookie or a seasoned veteran) needs to have full and complete autonomy over the playing roster and who is on the football team staff.

We urgently need 2-4 first grade standard middle + edge forwards, and also someone of influence who is a spine player - and a plan around how we recruit for these needs to be hashed out as soon as possible (it's not going to happen straight away).

If Ryles has managed to convince the board to give him the job & a five year contract to go with it - well, he must have some sort of plan as to how he wants to shape the club moving forward. The fact that he has spent time sitting alongside Bellamy and Robinson in the same coaches box (plus Eddie Jones for a little while as well) has to count for something.

Either way - whether it is Ryles or Hasler or Flannagan... the next 2.5 years will be crucial as to the long term future direction of our club.

Illusion

Bench
Now that we can consign the Hook-era to the history books (please let this be the final of three "Dark Years" chapters).

The new coach (whether it is a rookie or a seasoned veteran) needs to have full and complete autonomy over the playing roster and who is on the football team staff.

We urgently need 2-4 first grade standard middle + edge forwards, and also someone of influence who is a spine player - and a plan around how we recruit for these needs to be hashed out as soon as possible (it's not going to happen straight away).

If Ryles has managed to convince the board to give him the job & a five year contract to go with it - well, he must have some sort of plan as to how he wants to shape the club moving forward. The fact that he has spent time sitting alongside Bellamy and Robinson in the same coaches box (plus Eddie Jones for a little while as well) has to count for something.

Either way - whether it is Ryles or Hasler or Flannagan... the next 2.5 years will be crucial as to the long term future direction of our club.
As you say who ever it is needs full control , the board and the so called legends of the club need to stay out of it .......

Mojo

Bench
Now Griffin’s gone there’s no rush to announce who’s taking over from 2024. I also think it’ll be Ryles, from what I read he wants 5yrs & full autonomy so they’ll be a lot of details to hammer out.
I have a thing about 'parity of authority and responsibility': if the guy is going to cop 100% of the responsibility then, IMO, it's actually essential he is given 100% of the authority. Anything else (ie, any disparity between authority and responsibility) automatically causes dysfunction. Where are all the other geniuses that should be exercising any authority over the football squad's decisions and on-field performance anyway? You can't have 6 people making decisions and only 1 taking the credit or the blame, as the case may be. Bennett knows this. This is the main reason for his outstanding record of success. This is also why the selection has to be made with extreme caution and due diligence. I wouldn't be prepared to give that level of authority to some of the people who have been mentioned in dispatches, full-stop - they'd be automatically disqualified from further consideration, as far as I am concerned, simply based upon their past record of abusing authority when they been given it. 5 years is not a problem either IMO.

These are pretty ballsy requests, if true, for a first time Head Coach. In return, I would negotiate that commensurate with 100% authority, the contract should include very clear and fair, mutually agreed, KPI's based upon very quantifiable performance criteria, with an early termination clause in the club's favour (ie; say, 6 month's pay for early termination). Offsetting this, I would also include performance bonuses for exceeding the KPI's.

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
I have a thing about 'parity of authority and responsibility': if the guy is going to cop 100% of the responsibility then, IMO, it's actually essential he is given 100% of the authority. Anything else automatically causes dysfunction. 5 years is not a problem either IMO. Both pretty ballsy requests, if true, for a first time Head Coach, because I would negotiate that commensurate with 100% authority the contract should include very clear and fair, mutually agreed, KPI's based upon very quantifiable performance criteria, with an early termination clause in the club's favour (ie; say, 6 month's pay for early termination). Offsetting this, I would also offer performance bonuses for exceeding the KPI's.
Perhaps a 3yr deal plus a 2yr option in the club’s favour might be the go. That way Ryles gets 5yrs but the club keeps some control.

We are equal last so literally the only way is up from here. Whoever it is faces some roster challenges, primarily what to do with Ben Hunt.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Timing of the Bellamy announcement just screams it’s Ryles.
The phrase “one in the hand is better than two in the bush” works here. There’s no 100% guarantee Bellamy will retire at the end of 2024 plus taking over from a legendary coach has often proven to be a poison chalice.

Ryles should take the opportunity that’s in front of him particularly if he wants full autonomy, he wouldn’t get that In Melbourne.

Mojo

Bench
If I were an aspiring NRL coach I'd be much keener to take over a reasonably talented squad that has been underperforming for years, largely due to an unsuccessful predecessor (or three), rather than a squad of stars being reluctantly handed-over from a so-called 'super coach'.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Always good to revisit things like this. The club's statements when we made the dumb decision to sign him. Everyone involved should be held accountable for this.

Yes the club really should do an in depth review of both the decision making process and how and where it all went south after he joined. Must learn lessons from bad choices and processes, and not remake them.

Parko1310

Juniors
I won't celebrate over Griffin losing his job, this guy is human. He would be feeling it today and I sincerely hope he has adequate support around him to get him through this. This is probably his last gig, and he will know that. It's going to be tough for him.

Still, the decision was overdue. I guarantee the new coach has been decided, it's Ryles. They wouldn't sack Griffin if they didn't know if the guy replacing him was better. They just can't announce it, they're playing the roosters this week and it'd be totally unprofessional in so many ways to announce Ryles is a done deal today.

justadragon

Bench
The Dragons were doomed from the time Hook signed the contract. No one wanted to believe all the reasons that he had been punted from other clubs(myself included). Not enough due diligence was done by the board and he came cheap. I supported him because he was known to be a defensive minded coach with discipline at the top of his agenda. We got what we didnt want to believe, we got the stubbornness, the lack of communication the harnessing of attractive footy, we got the whole package, throw in woeful game plans and unbelievable team selections, with favorites. The club had to fall on its sword today any further involvement by Hook would have been irrepressible damage if enough hasnt already been done. I firmly believe that each player should be given the opportunity now to leave if they think they cant play for the Dragons without showing the pride and love for the jumper, theres the door off you go. As for Hook, well he knew what the score would be when he signed on the line,, no one on this forum wanted him to fail, we all wanted success after McPeanut, but unfortunately it hasnt worked out that well and we are a results driven sport. All the best in what ever en devour you may wish to persue, I really dont like hating anyone but I'm afraid that if Hook had stayed that would have been the case.

Latest posts