What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

TruSaint

Referee
. I firmly believe that each player should be given the opportunity now to leave if they think they cant play for the Dragons without showing the pride and love for the jumper, theres the door off you go.

Yep.

Better late than never. Hook is gone now let's see who really wants to represent us.

I would have hoped this board had already named / installed the new head coach. The season is a write off and would give the incumbent a chance to clear out the handful of wage thieves on our books.

Huge decision incoming.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Dragons were doomed from the time Hook signed the contract. No one wanted to believe all the reasons that he had been punted from other clubs(myself included). Not enough due diligence was done by the board and he came cheap. I supported him because he was known to be a defensive minded coach with discipline at the top of his agenda. We got what we didnt want to believe, we got the stubbornness, the lack of communication the harnessing of attractive footy, we got the whole package, throw in woeful game plans and unbelievable team selections, with favorites. The club had to fall on its sword today any further involvement by Hook would have been irrepressible damage if enough hasnt already been done. I firmly believe that each player should be given the opportunity now to leave if they think they cant play for the Dragons without showing the pride and love for the jumper, theres the door off you go. As for Hook, well he knew what the score would be when he signed on the line,, no one on this forum wanted him to fail, we all wanted success after McPeanut, but unfortunately it hasnt worked out that well and we are a results driven sport. All the best in what ever en devour you may wish to persue, I really dont like hating anyone but I'm afraid that if Hook had stayed that would have been the case.
Well written and said justa and in my opinion true.

Thank you Anthony for your services. All the best for the future. Keep healthy and safe.

justadragon

Bench
Yep.

Better late than never. Hook is gone now let's see who really wants to represent us.

I would have hoped this board had already named / installed the new head coach. The season is a write off and would give the incumbent a chance to clear out the handful of wage thieves on our books.

Huge decision incoming.
Agree 100% TS, now is the time to show your worth and your loyalty !!!

TruSaint

Referee
Agree 100% TS, now is the time to show your worth and your loyalty !!!

Yes mate. What we have endured for 2 decades ( barring Waynes involvement ), has been pitiful.

Paying overs for players, lack of identity, lack of passion in the jumper. The 2 teams at the bottom of ladder both had to sell their history on the promise of survival. I don't care if it takes another 2-3 years, and we rid ourselves of entitled players.

We need this next appointment to unite the Club.

It's shameful.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I won't celebrate over Griffin losing his job, this guy is human. He would be feeling it today and I sincerely hope he has adequate support around him to get him through this. This is probably his last gig, and he will know that. It's going to be tough for him.

Still, the decision was overdue. I guarantee the new coach has been decided, it's Ryles. They wouldn't sack Griffin if they didn't know if the guy replacing him was better. They just can't announce it, they're playing the roosters this week and it'd be totally unprofessional in so many ways to announce Ryles is a done deal today.
I agree with your first sentiment…

however your second sentiment about the coach being decided on before sacking Griffin?

come on mate…this is the dragons…I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still trying to figure out how to post a job ad in the telegraph.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The Dragons were doomed from the time Hook signed the contract. No one wanted to believe all the reasons that he had been punted from other clubs(myself included). Not enough due diligence was done by the board and he came cheap. I supported him because he was known to be a defensive minded coach with discipline at the top of his agenda. We got what we didnt want to believe, we got the stubbornness, the lack of communication the harnessing of attractive footy, we got the whole package, throw in woeful game plans and unbelievable team selections, with favorites. The club had to fall on its sword today any further involvement by Hook would have been irrepressible damage if enough hasnt already been done. I firmly believe that each player should be given the opportunity now to leave if they think they cant play for the Dragons without showing the pride and love for the jumper, theres the door off you go. As for Hook, well he knew what the score would be when he signed on the line,, no one on this forum wanted him to fail, we all wanted success after McPeanut, but unfortunately it hasnt worked out that well and we are a results driven sport. All the best in what ever en devour you may wish to persue, I really dont like hating anyone but I'm afraid that if Hook had stayed that would have been the case.
Nah mate. At the time, I thought he was a decent coach who got fired unfairly from the Panfers as the panfers were in the top 4. I thought he was exactly what the team needed. A no nonsense, no frills hard nut with no connection to the club….and i was wrong.

dannyt

Coach
I won't celebrate over Griffin losing his job, this guy is human. He would be feeling it today and I sincerely hope he has adequate support around him to get him through this. This is probably his last gig, and he will know that. It's going to be tough for him.

Still, the decision was overdue. I guarantee the new coach has been decided, it's Ryles. They wouldn't sack Griffin if they didn't know if the guy replacing him was better. They just can't announce it, they're playing the roosters this week and it'd be totally unprofessional in so many ways to announce Ryles is a done deal today.
I get what you're regarding not celebrating Griffin losing his job, but the two go together-for us to sack the coach needed Griffin to lose his job. You can't help but celebrate the latter if you celebrate the former.

bathtime

Juniors

I am a little bit celebrating. Partly because I didn't think it would happen. Griffin will be ok, paid well, could well be a relief for him. However that is not my concern. hopefully a somewhat capable coach is appointed

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Getting sacked from Penrith would have hurt much more for Griffin as he definitly would not have seen that coming as they were in the 8 at the time. So journos going off that Saints treated him badly is a huge call as he knew it was more or less coming. He would have been looking forward to going into a Finals series at Penrith and all of a sudden got told he was not good enough. Now that's pretty brutal.

Fangs

Coach
Getting sacked from Penrith would have hurt much more for Griffin as he definitly would not have seen that coming as they were in the 8 at the time. So journos going off that Saints treated him badly is a huge call as he knew it was more or less coming. He would have been looking forward to going into a Finals series at Penrith and all of a sudden got told he was not good enough. Now that's pretty brutal.

It would have hurt more for sure.

With that said our form during and post Origin was diabolical in 2018. We were running first and put in a big performance against the Dragons who were second at the time. It was the high water mark of the season.

He completely mishandled our Origin stars like Maloney and we never recovered. The worst decision was forcing Peachey, Maloney, Cleary and RCG to back up 48 hours after Origin 1 (In the ACT against Canberra of all places). We won the game at the death but looked totally shot for the rest of the season. The 50-18 thrashing against the Broncos and his actions during that week and post game sealed his fate.

The fact they rose off the canvas to make it to week 2 of the finals and take the Sharks to the 80th minute was an absolute miracle. No idea if we do that under Hook but we looked like wooden spooners prior to his sacking.

RedVDave

First Grade
Positives under Griffin: Rava, Hunt, Lawrie I'd argue were the most improved players under his regime be interesting to see if there form continues.

Negatives: obvious favouritism to the likes of Mbye, Norman, Amone.

Poor communicator Woods, Sullivan, Lomax & Liddle all got dropped with no reason given for this, totally unacceptable.

He signed some good players in Bird, McGuire & Su'a but also signed some absolute lemons.

His best season with us was year 12 wins 12 losses (our best season in 5 years) but quiet obviously overall his tenure with us was a failure I still put most the blame on the board but extending his contract by 1 year was a bad move, was any other club trying to poach him? If they saw him as a long term coach why wouldn't they have given him longer? So many questions as usual from us fans to our board what crappy answers will they dish up to us?

Captn

Juniors
We also lost wishart and ford because of his poor communication and man management. Time will tell if this was good, but at the moment we let some good ones get away. Not sure regarding Garrick if it was in hooks time. poor communications don’t make a good head coach

dannyt

Coach
It would have hurt more for sure.

With that said our form during and post Origin was diabolical in 2018. We were running first and put in a big performance against the Dragons who were second at the time. It was the high water mark of the season.

He completely mishandled our Origin stars like Maloney and we never recovered. The worst decision was forcing Peachey, Maloney, Cleary and RCG to back up 48 hours after Origin 1 (In the ACT against Canberra of all places). We won the game at the death but looked totally shot for the rest of the season. The 50-18 thrashing against the Broncos and his actions during that week and post game sealed his fate.

The fact they rose off the canvas to make it to week 2 of the finals and take the Sharks to the 80th minute was an absolute miracle. No idea if we do that under Hook but we looked like wooden spooners prior to his sacking.
I look back at that team, and generally how well they did. However, it seems that any success at the time was despite, not because of him.

That team also had an uncanny knack of winning games at the death after conceding big, early leads. Did the comeback coincide with the team throwing out the hook game plan and just playing what was in front if them?

Fangs

Coach
I look back at that team, and generally how well they did. However, it seems that any success at the time was despite, not because of him.

That team also had an uncanny knack of winning games at the death after conceding big, early leads. Did the comeback coincide with the team throwing out the hook game plan and just playing what was in front if them?

Well he blooded a lot of young players, most notably Cleary.

Definately plan out the window stuff. They were kept on a tight leash. At one point the team was virtually banned from forcing a drop out as he didn't want the players giving away 7 tackles.

dannyt

Coach
Well he blooded a lot of young players, most notably Cleary.

Definately plan out the window stuff. They were kept on a tight leash. At one point the team was virtually banned from forcing a drop out as he didn't want the players giving away 7 tackles.
Cheers.

Latest posts