What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

justadragon

Bench
Gee it is frustrating to read what the other clubs like the Tigers, Bulldogs are now doing and we just continue on our sorry ways to nothing. What in hell is on the horizon for us? When will this club become "king of the mountain" again? No use having the team of the century when we currently have the dud one of this year.
I has been frustrating Dave, but whilst we are in the process of being frustrated the club keeps falling on its own sword year after year, all that culminates to" it will take a long long long time to fix this club up" that is if there are people out there who can actually fix it up, meanwhile we suffer. I have grave doubts about this club being any sort of force within 5-10 years. I always hope someone , coach, the board, the players can perform some miracle but it always ends up in sheer disappointment.

hewi

Bench
From the Roar.

St George Illawarra’s decade of mediocrity has not gone unnoticed by their fan base but has not been scrutinised as heavily as others.

Similar to the Knights, they achieved much greater financial stability four years ago when WIN TV mogul Bruce Gordon bought the Steelers’ side of the joint venture.

But they have continued to underachieve and the decision to appoint Anthony Griffin as a coach two years ago was short-sighted at the time and has only been made worse since.

Like their fellow strugglers, it’s going to be a slow rebuild in Wollongong with the club’s young talent surrounded by a lot of players who peaked years ago.

Case in point – Griffin said in a recent press conference that he thought veteran forward Josh McGuire could keep playing for another “three, four or five years”. The correct answer should have been McGuire has barely been NRL standard for the past “three, four or five years”. At least when he’s been on the field and not suspended

I also note this morning that the Dragons have not started to talk to Ben Hunt about staying after next year and personally I doubt he will and lastly Dean Young has a release clause from his last year at the Cowboys, can you see where this is going so I ask myself why Young why not Ben Hornby and I think we all know the answer to that to. The reality is we are rooted.

Dragon David

First Grade
I has been frustrating Dave, but whilst we are in the process of being frustrated the club keeps falling on its own sword year after year, all that culminates to" it will take a long long long time to fix this club up" that is if there are people out there who can actually fix it up, meanwhile we suffer. I have grave doubts about this club being any sort of force within 5-10 years. I always hope someone , coach, the board, the players can perform some miracle but it always ends up in sheer disappointment.
At this rate, the club might do a Mary and sign Griffin up for another 3 years because no one else wants to come to us - well anyone who is a someone.

Dragon David

First Grade
From the Roar.

St George Illawarra’s decade of mediocrity has not gone unnoticed by their fan base but has not been scrutinised as heavily as others.

Similar to the Knights, they achieved much greater financial stability four years ago when WIN TV mogul Bruce Gordon bought the Steelers’ side of the joint venture.

But they have continued to underachieve and the decision to appoint Anthony Griffin as a coach two years ago was short-sighted at the time and has only been made worse since.

Like their fellow strugglers, it’s going to be a slow rebuild in Wollongong with the club’s young talent surrounded by a lot of players who peaked years ago.

Case in point – Griffin said in a recent press conference that he thought veteran forward Josh McGuire could keep playing for another “three, four or five years”. The correct answer should have been McGuire has barely been NRL standard for the past “three, four or five years”. At least when he’s been on the field and not suspended

I also note this morning that the Dragons have not started to talk to Ben Hunt about staying after next year and personally I doubt he will and lastly Dean Young has a release clause from his last year at the Cowboys, can you see where this is going so I ask myself why Young why not Ben Hornby and I think we all know the answer to that to. The reality is we are rooted.
Big Rig has posted that "Josh McGuire has officially signed a 2 year deal with the Warrington Wolves in the English Super League" nospam47.com also reports this.
So McGuire will be gone and as Hook said, Josh could play on..... but not with us.

We will no doubt be losing many players come the end of this year. Some will go elsewhere to play and some retiring. It will be interesting to see who will be in our 30 squad for 2023. Will Ben Hunt be staying beyond 2023, will Sullivan, Sloan and other young guns be retained and in the squad, will we get anyone who is someone from outside? The suspense will linger longer but I cannot see us being much better than we have been unfortunately.

Dragon David

First Grade
Wayne Bennett said for years that the best coaches are the best recruiters, that’s the secret. So that leaves out Hook. Getting many but "cheap" players was a recipe for disaster as the "cheap" players just play without reason to succeed especially when they are older and nearing retirement. They were supposed to help mentor the younger players but hearing from another fan recently, a lot of the young ones are not even spoken to by the older ones nor are they included in any team bonding sessions and if dropped are just left to languish in the lower grades without proper training to correct their shortcomings.

It beggars belief that we had high hopes for our club, particularly this year, only to see that we are at crisis point with a coach who is far from being able to get the team firing regularly, players blaming others, not giving our youth more opportunities, other clubs getting their acts together for the future, letting opportunities pass us by by not going really hard for better players and a better coach (we couldn't land Fitzy or Ciraldo before Hook was eventually signed as a "beggars can't be choosers" afterthought).

When will we be able to get rid of these "Sack Griffin", "Sack Mary" threads by having the best coach on our books so that we would not be needing to have a "Sack..Coach" again?

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
From the Roar.

Apparently Dean Young has signed on with the Dolphins as an assistant coach along with Woolf for the next couple of years. So, no need to worry about him for a while!

Walpole

Juniors

The drums are really beating loudly
Interestingly, Griffin has never led a team to an NRL grand final, although his teams at the Broncos and Penrith did play in the finals.

He seems to have made us a solid 11th placed team, good enough to stay above the bottom feeders but no real threat to the best teams.

I wonder what he's doing that genuinely make him think he can take this group to "grand final glory" because there doesn't appear to be any plan or strategy that will see us compete with the Penrith's of the world on a regular basis.

Mojo

Bench
Sounds like he’s living in a bubble he recruited for himself and the rest of us can get stuffed. That’s how I read it anyhow.
I'm tired of reading this sort of crap. These are direct quotes from our head coach apparently. The facts are that the team is playing absolutely terrible footy.

Across the comp these are Saints' current stats:

Missed tackles, Line breaks conceded, sin bins : 1st
Offloads conceded, general play passes, long kicks: 2nd
Line engagements: 4th
Points conceded, errors, tries conceded, run meters conceded : 5th
Tackled in the opposition 20: 6th
Dummy half runs, goal kicking %: 7th
Kick meters: 8th
Tackle busts: 9th
Points, tries, runs, line breaks, goals, goal attempts, field goal success rate, weighted kicks, kick returns: 10th
Try assists: 11th
Completion rate, kick return meters: 12th
Kicks, tackles, run meters: 13th
Offloads, one pass hit ups, penalties awarded and penalties conceded: 15th
Attacking kicks, forced drop outs: 16th

Make of all that what you will but nobody could say it's a Top 8 side. What I see in these stats is a side that tries hard but is disorganized in attack and easily defended against, is thin in defense, error prone, ill-disciplined, uses the long kick to get out of trouble but doesn't have an attacking kicking game.

I guess Hook doesn't look at stats. God knows what he and his coaching team do look at but, judging by his comments, it's usually something to do with how good other teams are.

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors
Yet apparently 20,000 members have signed on or renewed as Red V?
Remember the advertising during the membership drive? Sullivan, Amone and Sloan on all club materials. Then they give full power to this clueless coach who hires mbye, goes out of his way to find old players to stymie progression (jack bird at fullback anyone?), indulges Hunt rather than even trying him at hooker and just runs the show into the ground. I didn’t expect any more from Griffin after his track record, but it’s another massive breach of faith with supporters by a board that’s out of touch and out of their depth.

saintly1996

Juniors
Interestingly, Griffin has never led a team to an NRL grand final, although his teams at the Broncos and Penrith did play in the finals.

He seems to have made us a solid 11th placed team, good enough to stay above the bottom feeders but no real threat to the best teams.

I wonder what he's doing that genuinely make him think he can take this group to "grand final glory" because there doesn't appear to be any plan or strategy that will see us compete with the Penrith's of the world on a regular basis.
Can someone produce the article