What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

TruSaint

Referee
I'm tired of reading this sort of crap. These are direct quotes from our head coach apparently. The facts are that the team is playing absolutely terrible footy.

Across the comp these are Saints' current stats:

Missed tackles, Line breaks conceded, sin bins : 1st
Offloads conceded, general play passes, long kicks: 2nd
Line engagements: 4th
Points conceded, errors, tries conceded, run meters conceded : 5th
Tackled in the opposition 20: 6th
Dummy half runs, goal kicking %: 7th
Kick meters: 8th
Tackle busts: 9th
Points, tries, runs, line breaks, goals, goal attempts, field goal success rate, weighted kicks, kick returns: 10th
Try assists: 11th
Completion rate, kick return meters: 12th
Kicks, tackles, run meters: 13th
Offloads, one pass hit ups, penalties awarded and penalties conceded: 15th
Attacking kicks, forced drop outs: 16th

Make of all that what you will but nobody could say it's a Top 8 side. What I see in these stats is a side that tries hard but is disorganized in attack and easily defended against, is thin in defense, error prone, ill-disciplined, uses the long kick to get out of trouble but doesn't have an attacking kicking game.

I guess Hook doesn't look at stats. God knows what he and his coaching team do look at but, judging by his comments, it's usually something to do with how good other teams are.

Good read.

The last 5 stats are damning.

I would also add ( anecdotal ) stat, we have the slowest backline and hooker in the comp.

All of this would be somewhat acceptable short term, if we didn't play the most predictable and boring footy out of all the teams.

Between an old school coach and an average roster, we will finish where the stats point. That is 10-12th.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good read.

The last 5 stats are damning.

I would also add ( anecdotal ) stat, we have the slowest backline and hooker in the comp.

All of this would be somewhat acceptable short term, if we didn't play the most predictable and boring footy out of all the teams.

Between an old school coach and an average roster, we will finish where the stats point. That is 10-12th.
We are the "Faders". Each and every year from 2019 we have high hopes but as usual we fade into the abyss. Griffin means well but that doesn't result in us being a top team. How he thinks that he can get us playing finals footy and even winning the premiership is beyond me.

Gareth67

First Grade
“ To premiership glory “ ? Well if that’s the case , then all that we have been wishing , praying for - a new board , the addition of a number of top line players and a true will - to - win spirit against all odds , shall be available to the Dragons .

Our problems have been solved , the team has turned the corner and it shall begin with a resounding victory for the Big Red V over the Sea Eagles tomorrow night ! 😇

Cupper

Juniors
I think we’ve got a half decent squad just need a coach with the balls to look a year or 2 ahead.
Throw out a starting team along the lines this and just be patient.

1- Sloan
2- Ramsay (with permission to roam)
3- lomax
4- suli
5- Rava
6- Amone
7- Sullivan
8- Lawrie
9- hunt
10- Molo
11- Bird
12- Sua
13- JDB

justadragon

Bench
I think we’ve got a half decent squad just need a coach with the balls to look a year or 2 ahead.
Throw out a starting team along the lines this and just be patient.

1- Sloan
2- Ramsay (with permission to roam)
3- lomax
4- suli
5- Rava
6- Amone
7- Sullivan
8- Lawrie
9- hunt
10- Molo
11- Bird
12- Sua
13- JDB
I like it but I'd reverse Sloan and Ramsay.

to_ddeath

Coach
Old Albert, no doubt still chest beating after his front row inclusion in ‘Team Of The Century’ has the gall to come out & isolate the leaking player, with all this ‘we pull together as one’ club rubbish….has this old plastered-on crony actually thought about why there is a leaker with this mumbling joke of a coach in the first place???
More self-examination & less finger-pointing is what’s needed now, but hey our overlords run the ship tighter than a large family on low wages so why bother….

Dragon David

First Grade
We have become everyones whipping boy, would not want to lose tonight.

Well Paul Smith has the answers but will not pay a penny to be a part of the ownership and says that he has dodged a chamber of bullets by not buying into the club because of the lack of clarity for the future and vision by the Board. That is another reason why a coach like Cameron Ciraldo will not even bother to come because of the lack of long term planning and clarity of the future and vision. We might have a good nursery of juniors in the region, but that's about it.

Ciraldo will be joining the Bulldogs, I have no doubt now and he can see how things are developing well under the direction of Gus Gould. There first grade has shown improvement of late and their reserve grade are doing well and they have quite a lot of good juniors that Ciraldo can develop.

We will be in a position where no-one else "good" is available so Hook stays on.

Dragon David

First Grade
I heard Johnny King on The Big Sports Breakfast this morning and he said that the best thing for any team is to have each player really fit. He said that the Panthers are the team that looks the fittest as they look just as fit at the end of each game as they do at the start of each game.
He added that when he was playing at the Dragons their coach, Killer Kearney would get them to run 5 kilometres in 17 minutes and that the forwards had to do it in 18 minutes. They did so much running it help them to be much fitter.

This I hope is what our guys are doing now and if not, they should. Before they do their field exercises and drills, they should always go for a long run and be timed. The coach needs to be relentless with this.

possm

Coach
I heard Johnny King on The Big Sports Breakfast this morning and he said that the best thing for any team is to have each player really fit. He said that the Panthers are the team that looks the fittest as they look just as fit at the end of each game as they do at the start of each game.
He added that when he was playing at the Dragons their coach, Killer Kearney would get them to run 5 kilometres in 17 minutes and that the forwards had to do it in 18 minutes. They did so much running it help them to be much fitter.

This I hope is what our guys are doing now and if not, they should. Before they do their field exercises and drills, they should always go for a long run and be timed. The coach needs to be relentless with this.
In the old days (my time), this was the traditional way we approached training. It did help on game day as it was the thing that helped us go flat out all game.

Gareth67

First Grade
We have become everyones whipping boy, would not want to lose tonight.

Well Paul Smith certainly does not pull his punches , I will say that about the man . But “ A mess , a train-wreck and a dumpster fire all rolled into one “ ?

Surely he could not be referring to the mighty St.George Illawarra Dragons board . What does he believe the blokes do all day , drink Crownies from the fridge , have a pack of cigs whilst playing poker ♦️ ♠️ ♥️ ♠️ ?

Well one thing is perfectly obvious and that is that they should be absolutely oriented to success and only success . Their only goal is to ensure that they have the procedures in place to maximise the clubs attributes - including players , coaching staff and financial clout to gain the premiership .

After all that is what our 15 competitors boards do . 😳

Last edited: