What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

SnowDragon

Juniors
It’s definitely contentious on how to develop all the young guys in the team. We want them retained and developed, with immediate success as well.

I wasn’t and am not 100% sold on Hook. However, I appreciate that I don’t know enough to make a call on him. The decision with players like Norman last year really hurts when it was an opportunity to give more game time to others. Fullback was another of those calls I really questioned (Mbye and Bird).

that said, some good points are being made.
-When is it in the teams interest to move Hunt to hooker? (I can see the point about moving a career best player who is controlling the team, but wonder if the coach could develop Hunt into a game controlling hooker who plays like a 3rd half, with the other 2 halves jumping in and out of dummy half at times- but maybe that’s too confusing?)
-Mbye does make a good 14. He and Bird give good flexibility in case of injuries. I don’t feel great that he gets a starting role over the younger guys though, even though he has been doing well. If he was a way better option I may agree, but I’m not sure that’s the case. Keep his flexibility on the bench.

SnowDragon

Juniors
1.Mbye
3.Bird
That's the way Hook will go against Cowboys and have Bird and Mbye interchange in Attack and Defence during the game.
Dragons by 14
So much better to give Sloan time at fullback, see if he has learnt, get him the experience to grow.
Max can fill in in centres surely, even though Hook thinks he is still coming back from injuries and head knocks etc. and needs more time developing.

Mbye at 14 can fill in if needed.

BLM01

First Grade
Sack Bellamy.
Yep 4 losses in a row. He is losing his touch :) Imagine if we lose the next 4

Also sack Holbrook, O'Brien then Robbo, Sticky and even Hasler with likely better squads on paper are on the same comp points. Anyway all those are protected mostly by our media down here but with Ch9 and SMH it is open slather for Hook for the continual GUS payback.
But if we lose most of our remaining games then Hook will be likely 1st to go out of that lot just to media pressure alone

Ghostrider22

Juniors
I want to make the finals. But limping into 8th and being bundled out is not much better than finishing 9th. What I want more is a team that can win the comp, or at least be excited about.

What we’ve got now is an uncreative coach with an odd emotional connection to his ‘glory days’ in Brisbane, who has drafted some of his ‘kids’ and recruited a bunch of other old guys serving as roadblocks to real talent. We’ve got the world’s slowest hooker directing the team around, a half so dominant that his 5/8 and the rest of the backline get the ball far less than they should, and Mbye slotted into any position that can serve as a roadblock to players that should be central to the team for the next 5 years.

Sure Hunt is playing very well, but our game plan is so predictable and the strategy of basing everything around him is stupid tactically, and short sighted with a view to developing players that could be part of a comp winning team (Sullivan, Amone, Sloan, Feagais)

Teams know that if they shut down Hunt they shut down the dragons. Our best half all year - the first half against Souths - was notable because it’s one of the only times Amone has been the dominant playmaker with Hunt on the field. Amone was demanding the ball as the ‘half’, calling plays, putting in attacking kicks etc. and we looked awesome.

The current crew are performing at their ceiling, and we might limp into 7th place. If we utilise Sullivan, Amone, Sloan, Ramsay, Lomax and others properly there might be a comp winning team. They’ll have the odd shit game but thats development.

It’s unbelievably stupid to not be playing Sullivan, and almost an insult to give him 1 min. Compare the way Manly have brought Schuster on compared to our efforts with Sullivan. They both came through that SG Ball 2019 cohort.

I want the team to win, but balanced with developing players who are potential superstars (or at least not contorting yourself to find ways to block them - see Bird at fullback, rushing McCullough back into the team, mbye anywhere).

I’ve seen nothing in his judgement or performances that suggest griffin can be anything other than a guy trying to hang on and sneak into 7th with boring and conservative choices, to the detriment of the future.
Paddles l will say one thing and everyone should know this. The coach has the last say in the way the team plays. And that is what everyone sees week in week out. We need 5 players the same as Ben with the young blokes spread though out the side then you would have a good side. Until that happens nothing will change and Shane as coach, i know he is not like but you want to be ruthless Shane is that. Board wise that’s another question entirely

merahputih

Juniors
Yep 4 losses in a row. He is losing his touch :) Imagine if we lose the next 4

Also sack Holbrook, O'Brien then Robbo, Sticky and even Hasler with likely better squads on paper are on the same comp points. Anyway all those are protected mostly by our media down here but with Ch9 and SMH it is open slather for Hook for the continual GUS payback.
But if we lose most of our remaining games then Hook will be likely 1st to go out of that lot just to media pressure alone
What about Bennett...Dolphins haven't made any impact at all yet.

Dragon David

First Grade
Sack Potter for not selecting Dufty at fullback after their supposedly second choice fullback has been ruled out.
Remind me why did we not keep him again?. to which that decision was met with great fury on this forum
"Dufty would have actually been back in the NRL this week if it weren’t for the early release. Bulldogs fullback Jake Averillo has been ruled out after contracting Covid-19, leaving interim coach Mick Potter scrambling for a replacement.
However, according to the Herald, due to Dufty’s release papers needing to be signed by Friday, he wouldn’t have been insured if he played against the Titans on Sunday."

The above are snippets from Foxsports news.

Trifili13

Juniors
The Dragons were bagged by the press for how we could let Dufty go as he is such an attacking weapon and how the Dogs would benefit, yet he couldn't last a season at the Dogs. IMO it was the right call at the time by the Dragons. You can't have a fullback out of position, won't put his body on the line or can't catch a bomb under pressure.

Gareth67

First Grade
The Dragons were bagged by the press for how we could let Dufty go as he is such an attacking weapon and how the Dogs would benefit, yet he couldn't last a season at the Dogs. IMO it was the right call at the time by the Dragons. You can't have a fullback out of position, won't put his body on the line or can't catch a bomb under pressure.

Scored some great tries for the Dragons as he could cut the defense to pieces when his was on his game , however that was ( as you have said Trifili ) negated by his shocking habit of not taking the high ball or for that matter going anywhere near it .

How many times I watched him simply look at the kick coming towards him and watch it bounce , gave me the shivers .

However the best to the man over in sunny England , I just hope those big pommy forwards don’t throw him around like a rag doll .

SEAT 1A

Bench
Would explain why Junior and Bud looked so out of place and why nobody was following them. That's seriously embarassing. 2 junior halves playing for the first time together in 3 years and you don't even try to run a hole for them. These 'senior' players with supposed responsibility are in reality players who had potential to play higher levels of footy, but didn't for the exact reasons they've come here. Too lazy, too arrogant, not consistent.

At one point in the second half in the Manly game, Amone received the ball looked around to offload and no one was moving forward and took off himself.

Must have been thinking WTH is going on.

Dragon David

First Grade
At one point in the second half in the Manly game, Amone received the ball looked around to offload and no one was moving forward and took off himself.

Must have been thinking WTH is going on.
We don't have any consistent attacking structure that would result in scoring tries. Our forwards run from virtually a standing start. They should all be running onto the ball at full pelt to break the line of defence with plenty of leg speed.

Dragon David

First Grade
You guys need Flanagan ASAP.
A lot of us would like to have him as our coach. Under Mary he didn't do too much as his assistant but nor did guys like Dean Young and Ben Hornby, who are doing ok at the Cows and Bunnies respectively, so to me it wasn't a true indication what he can do with our players. I know he had the Sharks playing better attacking football and of course won the premiership in 2016 and he had a squad which included Ben Barber who would still be a good footy player with any first grade team had he not had those off field issues.

I'm thinking we are short of 2-3 big, tough hard running forwards, of which the Sharks have a few. Great forwards are the key to winning games. We had them in the 50's/60's which helped us win those 11 premierships. When we won in 1977 and 1979 our forwards were dominant and the same in 2010.

I think that Ciraldo is going to be a great head coach one day and unfortunately will be heading to the Bulldogs, if the media reports are correct. His success will be hoped to be immediate particularly if the team they are after comes to fruition next year. If he were to come to the Dragons, he would have so much work to do than at the Bulldogs IMO. Flanagan also would find it hard but as he "knows" the type of players we need, he will make sure we get those players, not the old guys like Hook.

Sorry for the ramble. I say too much.

blacksafake

First Grade
Which is probably why Sloan hasn’t been given much game time.

71saintsimon

Juniors
The strange thing about griffin is at Penrith and broncos he was bringing in the juniors and giving them a decent crack to develop aka look at that Penrith team now , At the dragons his not applied the same path rather he has preferred the old dead wood over the juniors and been a real hindrance on the development of players such as Sullivan Sloan and amoune who only is playing first grade due to his preferred love child Norman not being there or the fact there isn’t another 30 plus year old from Queensland available, dropped Sloan after one poor performance yet Norman last year was never dropped once playing up to 25 games where by every game he played was a 2 out of 10 rating sure proves griffin has double standards and not a Coach to take the dragons next generation to that next level