What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

redv13

Bench

HEAT ON HOOK … AS MAGUIRE DEJA VU LOOMS

DRAGONS coach Anthony Griffin’s call to sack his assistant coaches for next season is an all-too-familiar tune.

Axed Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire went down a similar road at the end of last season before ultimately being terminated midway through this year.

Red V coach Griffin made the hard line call to move on attack coach Matt Head and defence coach Peter Gentle this week without providing a whole lot of reasoning.

They’ll remain in their roles until the end of the season but there’s no question it’s a sign there’s plenty of movement going on behind-the-scenes at St George Illawarra.

Reading between the lines it appears Griffin is far from safe. The Dragons have a hard run home meeting three top four sides in the Cowboys, Cronulla and Brisbane, fellow top eight contenders the Raiders in Canberra and then Gold Coast and the Wests Tigers.

It’s a tough road for them to make the top eight and word is the heat will be on Griffin should they miss the cut.

One name we continue to hear linked with a return to St George Illawarra is 2010 premiership-winner Dean Young.
The Cowboys have been super-impressed with what Young has done in terms of the club’s defence over the course of the last two years.

More smoke coming from the fire, no to Dean Young as head coach from me.
I think it’s only a matter of time before Young is coaching us. I’d be surprised if it’s not within the next 3 years

denis preston

First Grade
Dean & the Dragons need him to AS under Bennett for 3 years to complete his apprenticeship. He would have learnt nothing under the bald beagle , appears to have developed at the Cowboys but under Bennett it could be his finishing school. We did say they had to go to other clubs and he has , so not now but in 3 years time I would consider him.

possm

Coach
I agree with you on the composition of the team and having a balance between youth and experience. Do you know that the team that ran on to the field last night, more than half (7/13) are 25 or younger? And if you include the 'aging bench' that you're not happy about in the parts of your post I omitted in my quote, there is 8/17 being 25 or younger.

Ramsey, Feagai, Lomax, Amone, Lawrie, Burns, Sua and Sullivan are the guys by the way.

The above plus a few others have all been blooded and in the majority of cases are playing regular first grade and are developing as you've stated you'd like to see happen.

So what more do you want Paddles? You complain about Hunt who is on track to win the Dally M, do we replace him with a young halfback like Sullivan when he is in arguably the best form of his career?

You complain about McCullough so do we replace him with Mulheison who by reports from those in the know on here and by the coach himself is a couple of seasons away from being first grade standard?

Lastly you complain about Mbye, a guy with state of origin experience who has proven himself to be an asset with his versatility and able to plug most holes if anyone goes down injured. Who from reserve grade or Flegg do you see being able to come in and do this job? Could Sullivan play fullback, centre or wing do you reckon?

Sometimes by reading a lot of the negativity on here you can fall in to the trap of thinking along the lines you are currently but I hope this at least provides a little perspective for you.
A new coaching staff and 2 top grade forwards would make a big difference to our side;
Haas
Fifita

Flannigan
Brown
Barret

It would make a hell of a difference to the squad. In addition, we need fitness staff that can achieve much better results with our squad. Our team never seems to be fit enough.

Illusion

Bench
A new coaching staff and 2 top grade forwards would make a big difference to our side;
Haas
Fifita

Flannigan
Brown
Barret

It would make a hell of a difference to the squad. In addition, we need fitness staff that can achieve much better results with our squad. Our team never seems to be fit enough.
Our team is too slow for the modern game ...... Need more than the 2 players you mentioned ..... but its a start , I guess ....

SBD82

Coach
Dean & the Dragons need him to AS under Bennett for 3 years to complete his apprenticeship. He would have learnt nothing under the bald beagle , appears to have developed at the Cowboys but under Bennett it could be his finishing school. We did say they had to go to other clubs and he has , so not now but in 3 years time I would consider him.
Absolutely. But he should only be considered. And then selected if he is genuinely the best candidate.

Sadly, our worldwide searches don’t seem to yield great results.

SBD82

Coach
Haas
Fifita

Flannigan
Brown
Barret

$2.5 million on two players? What could possibly go wrong?

possm

Coach
It’s definitely contentious on how to develop all the young guys in the team. We want them retained and developed, with immediate success as well.

I wasn’t and am not 100% sold on Hook. However, I appreciate that I don’t know enough to make a call on him. The decision with players like Norman last year really hurts when it was an opportunity to give more game time to others. Fullback was another of those calls I really questioned (Mbye and Bird).

that said, some good points are being made.
-When is it in the teams interest to move Hunt to hooker? (I can see the point about moving a career best player who is controlling the team, but wonder if the coach could develop Hunt into a game controlling hooker who plays like a 3rd half, with the other 2 halves jumping in and out of dummy half at times- but maybe that’s too confusing?)
-Mbye does make a good 14. He and Bird give good flexibility in case of injuries. I don’t feel great that he gets a starting role over the younger guys though, even though he has been doing well. If he was a way better option I may agree, but I’m not sure that’s the case. Keep his flexibility on the bench.
Sloan is Dufty mark II and Sullivan has been off the field injured more than on the field. Both of these players have the talent and I am sure one day will gain selection in their preferred positions. But until Sloan develops his defensive skills and Sullivan builds up his body, they will struggle in first grade.

redv13

Bench
We need to get rid of Craig Young ASAP.

Great player. Terrible administrator. Bloke could barely run a pub, and we’ve given him the reigns of the club?

If he stays, we get Deano. More certain than death or taxes.
Correct but we have Buckley’s chance of Young Snr going anywhere. Young jnr is coming soon no doubt

redv13

Bench
Haas
Fifita

Flannigan
Brown
Barret

Here we go……

possm

Coach
$2.5 million on two players? What could possibly go wrong?
We have a very ecomically priced spine in:
Ramsey or Sloan
Amone
Hunt
McCullough

What's more, we have some youngsters in the team that is also low priced at the moment. Now is the time that we can afford to go all out in the forward pack while our young guns are learning their trade.

For 2023 we have two SOO quality players in our squad in Hunt and Su'A. Replacing Sims with Fifita and Woods, Burgess, Alvaro, and a couple of other props with Haas would in my opinion be affordable and a great move. It would also give some bright young forwards exposure to reserve grade (men).

slippery5

Juniors
I can't wait 3 yrs for another premiership !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

getsmarty

Immortal
HEAT ON HOOK … AS MAGUIRE DEJA VU LOOMS

DRAGONS coach Anthony Griffin’s call to sack his assistant coaches for next season is an all-too-familiar tune.

Axed Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire went down a similar road at the end of last season before ultimately being terminated midway through this year.

Red V coach Griffin made the hard line call to move on attack coach Matt Head and defence coach Peter Gentle this week without providing a whole lot of reasoning.

They’ll remain in their roles until the end of the season but there’s no question it’s a sign there’s plenty of movement going on behind-the-scenes at St George Illawarra.

Reading between the lines it appears Griffin is far from safe. The Dragons have a hard run home meeting three top four sides in the Cowboys, Cronulla and Brisbane, fellow top eight contenders the Raiders in Canberra and then Gold Coast and the Wests Tigers.

It’s a tough road for them to make the top eight and word is the heat will be on Griffin should they miss the cut.

One name we continue to hear linked with a return to St George Illawarra is 2010 premiership-winner Dean Young.

The Cowboys have been super-impressed with what Young has done in terms of the club’s defence over the course of the last two years.

justadragon

Bench
Haas
Fifita

Flannigan
Brown
Barret

Brown is gone to the EELS, I'm not fully convinced about Flanno being an AC, he was before and not much happened, I dont think with everything that is currently happening with coaches it would be a workable situation. Mind you I havent heard of anything that he has done in R & R either.

Dragon David

First Grade
Brown is gone to the EELS, I'm not fully convinced about Flanno being an AC, he was before and not much happened, I dont think with everything that is currently happening with coaches it would be a workable situation. Mind you I havent heard of anything that he has done in R & R either.
If the Dragons were keen on Flanagan, they wouldn't have extended Hook for 2023. If Flanagan was their target for 2023, they would have just let Hook coach for this year and then said goodbye to him. There has to be something else that I just cannot put my finger on that the CEO and Board are working on in the background. Maybe they have had a change of heart and realise that Hook isn't the guy that should be coaching the Dragons in 2023 and will see how he goes in the next 2-3 games and then pulling the pin and sacking him if all those games are lost by us just like the Tigers did with Maguire.

On the other hand even if we lose, they might wait until he appoints his next assistants and see if they do any better next year and if so extend Hook to the end of 2026. :(😫

Latest posts