What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

SBD82

Coach
They conceded 621 points so obviously it’s not too hard to make metres in that comp as tackling is almost negligible.

The old chestnut if what they did in reserve grade system gets trotted out by all means give me the stats of his 1st grade games over his career.

Sure there were plodders ahead of him but he himself is also a proven 1st grade plodder.
I totally agree that he’s a plodder.

But in Hook’s eyes he was good enough to select in the first 10 weeks of the comp. Not good enough to select after he missed a game due to looking after his wife who had a traumatic birth.

So even if we acknowledge that the plodding is a constant factor, what changed? Our side certainly wasn’t going wonderfully and building combinations. We didn’t suddenly have individuals who were playing better footy.

You’ve been vocal about your expectations that players like Sloan and Bud prove themselves in reserve grade, but when Gos did exactly that you write off his efforts because it’s a shit comp.

Old Timer

Coach
IMO Gos went OK in 1sts.
So much for the player's stats - look at the coach's stats!
Sorry, OT, Hook lost my (wishful) support a long time ago ('21 was bad, '22 had no excuses).
Don't be sorry he lost almost all of mine a long time ago as well.

I would be more than happy for him to not be our coach right now and my defence of him against certain accusations, reasons is out of a sense of fairness as IMO many are laying their own ineptitude at Hook's feet as if they had had another coach they would have gone better and for the plodders that simply is not a correct assessment.

They are at our club for a reason and somehow people in this place thought they would be good / better players and seeing as they are not it therefore is Hook's doing.

They hadn't performed any great deeds anywhere else in recent years and unsurprisingly they didn't perform here either and that is the reason they are not at the Roosters or Storm or Eels.

Hanging Hook for plodders not replacing plodders IMO is the incorrect scenario and having plodders setting the agenda around our coaching staff is also incorrect but for having a team with abysmal defence, abysmal attack, abysmal team spirit then that is another matter entirely.

Old Timer

Coach
Maybe this post might encapsulate the essence of what I/m trying to say

Sullivan, Sloan, Burgess, Gos and maybe a few others beating the drums and their gums re Hook and what Hook supposedly did or didn't do.

This place jumping on the bandwagon, rolling out the cotton wool, applying plenty of bandaids to wounded players of all ability.

Let's take a look at Feagai, Ramsay, Amone and work out what happened with those guys.

Scenario A) They took on board what the coaching staff said, implemented the necessary things and did the necessary work and found regular 1st grade as a result of their approach to the task at hand and is there anyone here saying that they didn't earn the right to their spots?

Scenario B) They were provided with none of the above and found it necessary to do all their own work and having done made a compelling case for 1st grade selection.

Scenario C) They did neither A) or B) and in fact just miraculously found 1st grade quality form and some fairy god mother ensured they played 1st grade.

Now if we are at all logical we know it can only be A) or B) so if they could work it out and not end up in a psychiatric ward or an ambulance with mortal wounds then by all means tell me why the f**k others cant work it out?

Now let's take a look at Woods, Mybe, Mc Cullough and a few I missed all found to be plodders of the 1st order who plodded along in 1st grade

The theory is that Hook picked them out of loyalty and the Qld connection etc etc

For that to be true then Kerr, Gos, Fama etc etc etc must have all had stella seasons in reserves and got them to the top 4 and in GF contention despite leaking 600 + points for the season but the facts are that they didn't even provide a sniff of end of season success.

What some people seem to think is that because Hook didn't replace plodders with other plodders then he got it all wrong and the playing group suffered because of it.

Feagai, Amone, Ramsay must have had some ScuMo miracle happen for them to escape it all or just perhaps they had the best plan for making things happen for them.

Mojo

Bench
Don't be sorry he lost almost all of mine a long time ago as well.

I would be more than happy for him to not be our coach right now and my defence of him against certain accusations, reasons is out of a sense of fairness as IMO many are laying their own ineptitude at Hook's feet as if they had had another coach they would have gone better and for the plodders that simply is not a correct assessment.

They are at our club for a reason and somehow people in this place thought they would be good / better players and seeing as they are not it therefore is Hook's doing.

They hadn't performed any great deeds anywhere else in recent years and unsurprisingly they didn't perform here either and that is the reason they are not at the Roosters or Storm or Eels.

Hanging Hook for plodders not replacing plodders IMO is the incorrect scenario and having plodders setting the agenda around our coaching staff is also incorrect but for having a team with abysmal defence, abysmal attack, abysmal team spirit then that is another matter entirely.
Agreed.

SBD82

Coach

Sullivan, Sloan, Burgess, Gos and maybe a few others beating the drums and their gums re Hook and what Hook supposedly did or didn't do.

This place jumping on the bandwagon, rolling out the cotton wool, applying plenty of bandaids to wounded players of all ability.

Let's take a look at Feagai, Ramsay, Amone and work out what happened with those guys.

Scenario A) They took on board what the coaching staff said, implemented the necessary things and did the necessary work and found regular 1st grade as a result of their approach to the task at hand and is there anyone here saying that they didn't earn the right to their spots?

Scenario B) They were provided with none of the above and found it necessary to do all their own work and having done made a compelling case for 1st grade selection.

Scenario C) They did neither A) or B) and in fact just miraculously found 1st grade quality form and some fairy god mother ensured they played 1st grade.

Now if we are at all logical we know it can only be A) or B) so if they could work it out and not end up in a psychiatric ward or an ambulance with mortal wounds then by all means tell me why the f**k others cant work it out?

Now let's take a look at Woods, Mybe, Mc Cullough and a few I missed all found to be plodders of the 1st order who plodded along in 1st grade

The theory is that Hook picked them out of loyalty and the Qld connection etc etc

For that to be true then Kerr, Gos, Fama etc etc etc must have all had stella seasons in reserves and got them to the top 4 and in GF contention despite leaking 600 + points for the season but the facts are that they didn't even provide a sniff of end of season success.

What some people seem to think is that because Hook didn't replace plodders with other plodders then he got it all wrong and the playing group suffered because of it.

Feagai, Amone, Ramsay must have had some ScuMo miracle happen for them to escape it all or just perhaps they had the best plan for making things happen for them.
I’ll take scenario D)

Those players did well due to natural ability, and had opportunities to demonstrate their natural ability. But all 3 would have benefited from playing in a good structure and we are still holding them back from fulfilling their potential.

Also, if scenario B) is true, that’s just as f**ked.

Mojo

Bench

Yes. All fair enough. I reckon however, if I had Hook coaching me, I’d have a good scream into a pillow every evening.

Old Timer

Coach
I’ll take scenario D)

Those players did well due to natural ability, and had opportunities to demonstrate their natural ability. But all 3 would have benefited from playing in a good structure and we are still holding them back from fulfilling their potential.

Also, if scenario B) is true, that’s just as f**ked.
I agree scenario B) is f**ked but if correct shows that others don't have the same desire to get to where they want to be.

Some players thinks that where they want to be should just be a fait accomplei

SBD82

Coach
I agree scenario B) is f**ked but if correct shows that others don't have the same desire to get to where they want to be.

Some players thinks that where they want to be should just be a fait accomplei
I think that’s unfair. There isn’t a single player who makes it to the 30 man squad without hard work. Sure some work harder than others, but no one reaches that level without dedication.

I think the real issue happens when people work hard but see no avenue to progress.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes Hook is a very frustrating. Especially when he kept picking his old worn out qld'ers & old rejects he picked from days gone bye.
Griffin has to go.
Many players were very frustrating and never showed enough to gain constant 1st grade selection and thank god their going.
I will add that if Mc Cullough makes 1st grade this year that would reinforce your position and prove beyond doubt Hook is absolutely clueless.

Qdf

Juniors
Many players were very frustrating and never showed enough to gain constant 1st grade selection and thank god their going.
I will add that if Mc Cullough makes 1st grade this year that would reinforce your position and prove beyond doubt Hook is absolutely clueless.
Yes I just hope he doesn't do with McCullough, as he did with that bludger Corey Norman. Again showing Hook showing his misconstrued loyalty to those broken down QLD'ers.

SBD82

Coach
If we keep Hook you can guarantee that our spine will be

1. Ramsey
6. Amone
7. Hunt
9. McCullough
14. Mbye.

Unless he brings Norman back to the squad. Then Amone will go to ressies.

slippery5

Juniors

Multiple choice, I always went,
C. All of the above

Dragon David

First Grade
If we keep Hook you can guarantee that our spine will be

1. Ramsey
6. Amone
7. Hunt
9. McCullough
14. Mbye.

Unless he brings Norman back to the squad. Then Amone will go to ressies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hook did have this spine SBD. He would say that the 3 older guys will steady the ship while the 2 young ones keep learning how to steer the ship.

I'm hoping that the 9 will be Liddle and the 14 is Sullivan though.

denis preston

First Grade
Interesting take from weedler on Hook.

Young’s actions took some of the heat off the Dragons coach as the club lurches from one PR disaster to the next. Even Griffin’s strongest supporters think he is long odds of surviving next year.

If his agent, Wayne Beavis, can get him a contract extension it could be his finest achievement.
News Corp reporters campaigned hard for him – he was a willing pawn in a childish game to somehow upset Phil Gould, who sacked Griffin at Penrith. They backed Griffin from the moment he appeared on a Fox Sports NRL program soon after he was speared. There was a delight taken in his appointment, but it was always a risky move.

But even News Corp has now dropped Griffin on his head, with Dragons players speaking out against him freely. It’s quite remarkable to watch as acres of positive Griffin stories are suddenly forgotten.
Unfortunately, that’s only part of the issue at the Dragons. If giving a character witness on club letterhead to a man facing the ugliest of charges isn’t the dumbest act of the year from a sports official, it’s in the grand final.

Dragon David

First Grade

Young’s actions took some of the heat off the Dragons coach as the club lurches from one PR disaster to the next. Even Griffin’s strongest supporters think he is long odds of surviving next year.

If his agent, Wayne Beavis, can get him a contract extension it could be his finest achievement.
News Corp reporters campaigned hard for him – he was a willing pawn in a childish game to somehow upset Phil Gould, who sacked Griffin at Penrith. They backed Griffin from the moment he appeared on a Fox Sports NRL program soon after he was speared. There was a delight taken in his appointment, but it was always a risky move.

But even News Corp has now dropped Griffin on his head, with Dragons players speaking out against him freely. It’s quite remarkable to watch as acres of positive Griffin stories are suddenly forgotten.
Unfortunately, that’s only part of the issue at the Dragons. If giving a character witness on club letterhead to a man facing the ugliest of charges isn’t the dumbest act of the year from a sports official, it’s in the grand final.
We are the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and the press/journos/media will be saying plenty which should help us not only get rid of several unwanted officials but to get us to a more unified and settled club one day.

Mr Young will live to regret his actions. An employee reference is usually put on letterhead but certainly not a character reference. He has apologised but the horse has bolted and could lead to him being scratched.

Mojo

Bench

Imagine how it would feel to have the ‘heat taken off‘ you by the Chairman of your employing entity writing a reference on official letterhead for a guy who has been busted circulating child abuse material.

Latest posts