What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Parko1310

Juniors
Not 100% sure how I feel, but found something pretty interesting. Michael Cheika, who is currently coaching Lebanon in the world cup and also the Argentina union side, has thrown his hat in the ring for an NRL job in the future in an interview with fox sports. He spoke very well and brought some fresh ideas to the table that most coaches wouldn't consider, such as creating more contest for the ball, etc. He's clearly a hard worker (currently coaching two international sides cross-code), but he seemed genuinely excited to be doing it. He also seemed genuinely excited by the prospect of coaching in the NRL. By reports, he's a good culture builder and understands team dynamics very well. I know some here don't like Greg Alexander because he "death rides" the Dragons (which I disagree with), but even so Brandy is a fantastic analyst of the game and great rugby league mind. He advocated for Cheika to become an NRL coach, and went as far to say that Cheika "loves" rugby league. Not sure if anyone watched Lebanon v New Zealand, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game. Lebanon were legitimately in the game until 20 mins after Douehi was sent off the field, by which time Manu stepped up big time. As I said, not sure how I'd feel if for example Cheika became our coach, and he'd probably need some more experience first, but I found it pretty interesting as a prospect.

TruSaint

Referee
Not 100% sure how I feel, but found something pretty interesting. Michael Cheika, who is currently coaching Lebanon in the world cup and also the Argentina union side, has thrown his hat in the ring for an NRL job in the future in an interview with fox sports. He spoke very well and brought some fresh ideas to the table that most coaches wouldn't consider, such as creating more contest for the ball, etc. He's clearly a hard worker (currently coaching two international sides cross-code), but he seemed genuinely excited to be doing it. He also seemed genuinely excited by the prospect of coaching in the NRL. By reports, he's a good culture builder and understands team dynamics very well. I know some here don't like Greg Alexander because he "death rides" the Dragons (which I disagree with), but even so Brandy is a fantastic analyst of the game and great rugby league mind. He advocated for Cheika to become an NRL coach, and went as far to say that Cheika "loves" rugby league. Not sure if anyone watched Lebanon v New Zealand, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game. Lebanon were legitimately in the game until 20 mins after Douehi was sent off the field, by which time Manu stepped up big time. As I said, not sure how I'd feel if for example Cheika became our coach, and he'd probably need some more experience first, but I found it pretty interesting as a prospect.

I would take him in a heartbeat.

Maximus

Coach
I totally agree that he’s a plodder.

But in Hook’s eyes he was good enough to select in the first 10 weeks of the comp. Not good enough to select after he missed a game due to looking after his wife who had a traumatic birth.

So even if we acknowledge that the plodding is a constant factor, what changed? Our side certainly wasn’t going wonderfully and building combinations. We didn’t suddenly have individuals who were playing better footy.

You’ve been vocal about your expectations that players like Sloan and Bud prove themselves in reserve grade, but when Gos did exactly that you write off his efforts because it’s a shit comp.

What changed was other players were back from injury/suspension

He played round 1 when we were missing Sims, Fuimaono and McGuire.
Was 18th man in round 2 when Sims returned
Played round 3
Started round 4 with Su'a out and Bird moving to 5/8th
Su'a came back in for him in round 5, McGuire was back round 6 and Fuimaono round 8
He was 18th man round 9 with Su'a out
He was on the bench round 10 with Su'a and Fuimaono out

Su'a, Bird, Sims and McGuire were all favoured over him, and they all played pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season. He wasn't considered good enough the first 10 weeks, he was there for a few games because people ahead of him were out.

I bet I can search the entire forum and not find a single person wondering why he wasn't playing. What's changed? A grub journalist used him to push an agenda, so now certain posters with an agenda are using him to push their agenda.

SBD82

Coach

Played round 3
Su'a came back in for him in round 5, McGuire was back round 6 and Fuimaono round 8

Su'a, Bird, Sims and McGuire were all favoured over him, and they all played pretty much the entire 2nd half of the season. He wasn't considered good enough the first 10 weeks, he was there for a few games because people ahead of him were out.

I bet I can search the entire forum and not find a single person wondering why he wasn't playing. What's changed? A grub journalist used him to push an agenda, so now certain posters with an agenda are using him to push their agenda.
Your post explains why he could have been left out of first grade.

But it doesn’t explain why he was left out of the 22 man squad.

slippery5

Juniors

Played round 3

I certainly was one that wasn't questioning his absence, because I think he is a park player at best, but wouldn't Hook be involved in his signing?

If the "only way" we can get the board to rid our pain by some journalist agenda ,then sorry, I'm ok with that.

Gareth67

First Grade

I read the article also Parko1310 , and believe that his experience at the international level of Union would stand him in good stead .

However being new to our game , he would need the ongoing support of the team’s board as he finds his feet in rugby league . Alas something that at the moment at least , is in short supply here at the Dragons .

SBD82

Coach
How many backrowers are supposed to be in the squad? He had those 4 ahead of him, then there was Fuimaono and Ford competing with him. They can't all make the squad.
No. They can’t.

But he was making the team before this happened, then couldn’t make the squad.

If you were to guess, what would you say was the reason for that change?

Maximus

Coach
No. They can’t.

But he was making the team before this happened, then couldn’t make the squad.

If you were to guess, what would you say was the reason for that change?

Dude I already went through who was missing. The games he played generally had at least 3 of the 6 missing through injury or suspension. In the 2nd half of the season, there was usually 1 or 2 at most.

Also, the suggestion he wasn't in the 22 man squad appears to be a lie anyway. According to the rd 24 and 25 threads, he was named in the squad.

NRL squad for Round 24 v Wests Tigers –​

1. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by EFEX
2. Mat Feagai – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Tautau Moga – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Carinya Village – Jindabyne
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Belle Property
8. Aaron Woods – sponsored by Deicorp
9. Jayden Sullivan – sponsored by St George Food Distributors
10. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
11. Josh McGuire – sponsored by Shire Steel and Fabrication
12. Jaydn Su'A – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by TripADeal

Interchange:
14. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by DEMOCO
15. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by Jamesons Strata Management
16. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Tyrell Sloan – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
18. Jack Gosiewski
19. Jonathon Reuben
20. Poasa Faamausili
21. Josh Coric
22. Josh Kerr

NRL squad for Round 25 v Brisbane Broncos –​

1. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by EFEX
2. Tyrell Sloan – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Mat Feagai– sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Tautau Moga – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Carinya Village – Jindabyne
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Belle Property
8. Jack de Belin – sponsored by TripADeal
9. Jayden Sullivan – sponsored by St George Food Distributors
10. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
11. Josh McGuire – sponsored by Shire Steel and Fabrication
12. Jaydn Su'A – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Jack Bird – sponsored by Deicorp

Interchange:
14. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by DEMOCO
15. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by Jamesons Strata Management
16. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Aaron Woods – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
18. Jack Gosiewski
19. Andrew McCullough
20. Poasa Faamausili
21. Josh Coric
22. Josh Kerr

Unavailable for selection –​

Max Feagai (knee) – Season
Josh Kerr (hamstring) – Season
Moses Mbye (suspended) – Season
Francis Molo (suspended) – Season
Michael Molo (thumb) – Season
Mikaele Ravalawa (hamstring) – Season
Tariq Sims (suspension) – Season
Moses Suli (ankle) – Season

In fact, the very next game after he withdrew, he was named in the squad

NRL 2022 - Round 12
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v St George Illawarra Dragons
Belmore Sports Ground, Belmore, Belmore (TICKETS)
Sunday 29 May 2022

NSW Cup 11:30am -- NRL 2pm

CBY2022TEAM.png

1. Matt Dufty 2. Jacob Kiraz 3. Aaron Schoupp 4. Jake Averillo 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Luke Thompson 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Corey Waddell 12. Max King 13. Josh Jackson
Interchange: 14. Zach Dockar-Clay 15. Tevita Pangai Junior 16. Chris Patolo 17. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 19. Jackson Topine 20. Brandon Wakeham 21. Joe Stimson 22. Declan Casey 23. Jayden Okunbor 24. Paul Alamoti 25. Ava Seumanufagai

SGI2022TEAM.png

1. Cody Ramsey 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Moses Mbye 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Tariq Sims 13. Jack de Belin
Interchange: 14. Andrew McCullough 15. Aaron Woods 16. Michael Molo 17. Tyrell Fuimaono 18. Jack Gosiewski 19. Tautau Moga 20. Jayden Sullivan 21. Tyrell Sloan 22. Josh Kerr 23. Jackson Ford 24. Jaiyden Hunt

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Video Referee: Grant Atkins

- Lower Grades: NSW Cup & Jersey Flegg U21 -
Canterbury v St Geo Illa at Belmore - Flegg Fri 7pm / Cup Sun 11:30am​

The agenda driven article was all a lie

Dragsters

First Grade
Excellent post, the days of eat some cement and harden up you cream puff are so far in the past its ridiculous.
Meditation will increase recovery time, enhance endurance, help with overall stress reduction. And these young blokes are getting taught mindfulness from primary school these days, they're all very familiar with it.

Its clear the football team needs leadership and inspiration. From what I've heard, Hooks pre-game and halftime pep talks are just growling expletives at the players telling them to avago.

Young blokes aren't responding to that shit these days, times have changed from the Tommy Raudonikis face slapping era.

Very true and I too agree with the sentiments of the original post but today's top coaches find a happy medium.

After all we saw how dramatically Seibold fell with his new age approach...

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Dude I already went through who was missing. The games he played generally had at least 3 of the 6 missing through injury or suspension. In the 2nd half of the season, there was usually 1 or 2 at most.

Also, the suggestion he wasn't in the 22 man squad appears to be a lie anyway. According to the rd 24 and 25 threads, he was named in the squad.

In fact, the very next game after he withdrew, he was named in the squad

The agenda driven article was all a lie
I’m quite happy to be cynical about the media.

But the Dragons have reached a level where they’re deserving of the same level of cynicism.

I don’t think that Gos being selected in the 22 (and still not getting a game) In the final 2 rounds when we could barely fill a team means much.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Some seem to forget that Hook wanted Norman to be re-signed and kept picking him last year and this year we see him dropping players like flies if they make errors whilst others he doesn't. If it was Hooks way Norman would still be the 6 in 2022 and probably 2023. Dragons forced his hand and overruled him and got rid of Norman. Saints are in the same position now with Woods and Macca. They will be picked ahead of others no matter how they perform.

They guy clearly has no care factor for juniors ahead of his QLD mates. He is getting a bagging in the press and deservedly so. If he gave Sloan, Sullivan more of a run and had better game plans he would not be copping it so much as he is. He brought this on himself.

Maximus

Coach
I’m quite happy to be cynical about the media.

But the Dragons have reached a level where they’re deserving of the same level of cynicism.

I don’t think that Gos being selected in the 22 (and still not getting a game) In the final 2 rounds when we could barely fill a team means much.

He withdrew rd 11 and claimed he was blacklisted, and yet was in the squad rd 12.

Guess who then came back for rd 14 after the bye? Mcguire and Su'A. He was back in the squad for rd 22, but guess what had just happened? Sims got suspended.

There is no conspiracy. He was generally only ever in the 17 when 2 of Su'A, Sims, Bird and Mcguire were out. Guess how many games those 4 missed after rd 12?

Su'A: none
Sims: 6 (rd 14, 18, 22-25)
Bird: none
Mcguire: 3 (rd 15-17)

There wasn't a single game with more than 1 of them missing.

He is a shit player who didn't get picked enough for him to get a contract somewhere, so now wants to blame everything but him just not being a very good player.

The club has plenty of issues, but this is not one of them.

possm

Coach
You make perfect sense.

Big Gus never got over the criticism he got from our fan base for the Mc Fookknuckle review let alone what happened to his mate and has death ridden every single thing we and Hook does and because he is "Gus" people stupidly fall in line behind him.

He manipulates every situation for his own benefit and to make himself relevant.

I'd love to see him pick up the coaching reins of any club in the bottom 8 and see how far he would get working within the confines we have to.

He is the most correct "after the fact" commentator of all time.

I'd love for those that have been back stabbed and trodden on by him to get the media to take notice of what they say about him but of course that is never going to happen.
I don't give a stuff about Gould and action taken against him by the NRL.

My only concern is for our players so, I hope he keeps his hands off in future.

possm

Coach
I see no good reason why Hook is still involved except to facilitate the appointment of Dean Young to the head coach position.

The Board has not signed the marquee forwards we so desperately need and so, when he fails, Dean comes into the job. Well there has now been a hiccup and because of this Craig Young should stand down and Hasler appointed as our new coach on a 3-year deal commencing on November 1, 2022.

Old Timer

Coach
He withdrew rd 11 and claimed he was blacklisted, and yet was in the squad rd 12.

Guess who then came back for rd 14 after the bye? Mcguire and Su'A. He was back in the squad for rd 22, but guess what had just happened? Sims got suspended.

There is no conspiracy. He was generally only ever in the 17 when 2 of Su'A, Sims, Bird and Mcguire were out. Guess how many games those 4 missed after rd 12?

Su'A: none
Sims: 6 (rd 14, 18, 22-25)
Bird: none
Mcguire: 3 (rd 15-17)

There wasn't a single game with more than 1 of them missing.

He is a shit player who didn't get picked enough for him to get a contract somewhere, so now wants to blame everything but him just not being a very good player.

The club has plenty of issues, but this is not one of them.
Excellent and accurate analysis of what others fail / refuse to see.

Latest posts