What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragon David

First Grade
Is the draw out for next year ? what are our first 5 games ?, if its top 8 sides then that should seal it.
We lose many at the start of 2023 could result in Hook being sent packing, which would be a great thing and a caretaker coach made to endure the rest of the year which we would have to put up with until the start of the pre-season for 2024 when a new coach would have been selected, Brown getting rid of many and signing fresher better players and bringing us more hope for the future. The key word is hope which we have been using so many times over the years.

qld redvee

Juniors
If the board dont want to shell out the 400 thousand to move hook on then they must shackle him like they did mary - bring in a selection committee so that woods and mcullough do no more than play KOE cup and BEST players are picked 1 -17.. We cant write off 23 in the hope that 24 is the start of bigger things .. although we seem to be looking at 24 with the signing of the 2 young stormers and the whisperings in sloan and buds ears. get rid of hook 2 nov promote woolf to coach sign browny for list management pathways and mentor the stop gap coach . tell the playing group that they are on notice and get some positivity into the club

matPORTS

Juniors
With regards to the latest article - can't help but smell some level of BS.

A coach with a year still left to run on his contract having it publicly aired that it will be his final season, and as a way to appease unrest with the playing group (in which the main protagonists have binding contracts for the next three seasons)?

Our management seriously has zero balls.

1. Tell Hook to clear his office now

2. Get on the phone to Des Hasler immediately (afterall pre-season starts in a couple of weeks)

3. Instead of giving these players and their managers "hugs and kisses" and saying everything is going to be alright, remind them that they actually have a binding contract and that any granting of a release is on our terms

4. (side note) goes to show that our board of directors is very much in the untouchables category - Craig Young needs to tender is resignation by November 1st !! Common Craig - do the right thing mate (your time as a paid decision making employee of this club is over - and freeing up some of your salary will help with the pay out for Hook).

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
If the board dont want to shell out the 400 thousand to move hook on then they must shackle him like they did mary - bring in a selection committee so that woods and mcullough do no more than play KOE cup and BEST players are picked 1 -17.. We cant write off 23 in the hope that 24 is the start of bigger things .. although we seem to be looking at 24 with the signing of the 2 young stormers and the whisperings in sloan and buds ears. get rid of hook 2 nov promote woolf to coach sign browny for list management pathways and mentor the stop gap coach . tell the playing group that they are on notice and get some positivity into the club
The key to success amongst many other things is by being extremely positive in getting top results through having a top team of coaches and players and of course having an administration that wants the best. It is not a high price to pay and once everyone is on the same page striving for that success, which has been lacking for sometime, we will always be looking forward to the future.

There needs to be someone truly dedicated to get the best out of that stream of four to five thousand youngsters in the Illawarrra/St George regions to be nurtured and developed like nothing before. We have them, we just need to get them into our pathways and give them the right direction and purpose in their development.

possm

Coach
It seems to me that the Dragon's BOD is not going to change its plan. They will keep Craig Young as chairman, keep Griffin, and apply Dean Young as the head coach for 2024. Haler is not in their plans.

Phantom V

Juniors
The key to success amongst many other things is by being extremely positive in getting top results through having a top team of coaches and players and of course having an administration that wants the best. It is not a high price to pay and once everyone is on the same page striving for that success, which has been lacking for sometime, we will always be looking forward to the future.

There needs to be someone truly dedicated to get the best out of that stream of four to five thousand youngsters in the Illawarrra/St George regions to be nurtured and developed like nothing before. We have them, we just need to get them into our pathways and give them the right direction and purpose in their development

There needs to be someone truly dedicated to get the best out of that stream of four to five thousand youngsters in the Illawarrra/St George regions to be nurtured and developed like nothing before. We have them, we just need to get them into our pathways and give them the right direction and purpose in their development.
I agree DD. Hopefully they sign Brownie as I think he would be great at identifying the players we need for FG. This would be the first positive step forward in the clubs rebuild. Also, if they’re indeed thinking of bringing Deanno in for 2024, Id love to see Ben Hornby as assistant and Matt Cooper as defensive coach. These men have all worn the jersey and understand what it means to the players and fans alike.

Dragon David

First Grade
It seems to me that the Dragon's BOD is not going to change its plan. They will keep Craig Young as chairman, keep Griffin, and apply Dean Young as the head coach for 2024. Haler is not in their plans.
I agree possm. Hasler is not in the BOD's plans - not now nor anytime in the future. We know that Hasler has won premierships as a coach and that has only been at Manly. He got the Bulldogs into 2 grand finals but didn't win a premiership for them and got them into a salary cap mess, the same for Manly before he went to the Bulldogs.

I know that he would be a lot better than Hook, but in saying that, I think there are quite a number of coaches better than Hook. If Hasler isn't on their radar, they need to really think long and hard as to the best alternative they should go for and get signed up because as far as I am concerned, second best will get us starting another Sack coach thread all over again. They need to go all out for the best no ifs or buts.

Old Timer

Coach
If Hook is a dinosaur at 57 then what is Hasler at 63 next Feb?

Hasler, Stewart, Sheens, Bennett, Walters are all yesterdays men and will never win another premiership.

They like Hook try to rally the troops on "do it for your mates" philosophy's and unlike Hook the others have had luck on their side by having a couple of really good individual performers in their teams.

BLM01

First Grade
Hold on BLM , he was just saying what 95% on here have saying for at least 6 months ? Agendas or not, is his article correct?
Yes no one especially me is disputing that and warranted. My issue if you look at the trail of my convo was around timing... as most of this could of been reported 5 years ago but was not as personal agendas dictate terms.

BLM01

First Grade
If Hook is a dinosaur at 57 then what is Hasler at 63 next Feb?

Hasler, Stewart, Sheens, Bennett, Walters are all yesterdays men and will never win another premiership.

They like Hook try to rally the troops on "do it for your mates" philosophy's and unlike Hook the others have had luck on their side by having a couple of really good individual performers in their teams.
Hasler is a proven winner

Billeus

Juniors
I personally feel Hook is doing well considering. If you look at Penrith 4 years ago in 2018, Griffin had some Penrith juniors including Cleary with some veterans and role players like Peter Wallace, James Maloney, Trent Merrin, James Tamou etc.

Some of our veterans and role players are Queenslanders and I'm hoping the young brigade will learn and develop that Queenslander attitude that Ben Hunt displayed this year for Dragons, Queensland and now Australia as previously Mark Coyne did.

Gould spent close to a decade rebuilding Panthers. I'm pretty sure our rebuild started in 2014 under Mary, Young and Hornby with the stream of young talent starting to emerge in Lomax, Ramsay, Amone, Feagai twins, Sullivan, Sloan etc.

Griffin is here to continue the rebuild in our endeavour to get back to the top, where Panthers are now, it didn't happen overnight, Panthers fans have experienced what we are now, not so long ago.

The game is evolving quickly, some teams are being given the green light to blatantly dodge the salary cap, not to mention other injustices under this nrl regime. I feel we are headed in the right direction and despite the media's attempts to divide and conquer us, I believe if we are supportive and patient, we will get back to the top.

possm

Coach
Who cares about the extension. It was probably the right decision at the time.

the fact is, that the club has to grow a back bone and sack him NOW. Regardless of his contract situation.

anything less just shows how little they think of their fans and sponsors.
Saints won't sack Griffin mainly because Craig Young wants him to stay until Dean Young is appointed as our head coach.

It seems that the best interests of our Club have nothing to do with the matter.
I say, sack Griffin, sack Craig Young and sign Hasler NOW!.

possm

Coach
We lose many at the start of 2023 could result in Hook being sent packing, which would be a great thing and a caretaker coach made to endure the rest of the year which we would have to put up with until the start of the pre-season for 2024 when a new coach would have been selected, Brown getting rid of many and signing fresher better players and bringing us more hope for the future. The key word is hope which we have been using so many times over the years.
So why wait? Griffin has shown he can't cut the mustard so let him go now and use this off-season to prepare properly for 2023. Des Hasler for coach NOW!

Crush

Coach
Is the draw out for next year ? what are our first 5 games ?, if its top 8 sides then that should seal it.
I’m not sure it matters.
Honest question, will we beat the dogs next year? Doubt it. Even Tigers will be better with the addition of Papali, Korisou, Stains, a hungry Benji coaching. I doubt we would beat them, 50/50 game really.
So if we just drew teams out of a hat now and said for example Dogs, Tigers, Sharks, Raiders, Manly as our first 5 rounds, how many games do you think we win? I reckon 1 or 2, and that’s a pretty easy draw playing teams that finished 2, 8, 11, 12, 16
Hook is done, we ain’t starting strong next year, no May premiers anymore for us, those days are finished with the current mess.

Crush

Coach
I personally feel Hook is doing well considering. If you look at Penrith 4 years ago in 2018, Griffin had some Penrith juniors including Cleary with some veterans and role players like Peter Wallace, James Maloney, Trent Merrin, James Tamou etc.

Some of our veterans and role players are Queenslanders and I'm hoping the young brigade will learn and develop that Queenslander attitude that Ben Hunt displayed this year for Dragons, Queensland and now Australia as previously Mark Coyne did.

Gould spent close to a decade rebuilding Panthers. I'm pretty sure our rebuild started in 2014 under Mary, Young and Hornby with the stream of young talent starting to emerge in Lomax, Ramsay, Amone, Feagai twins, Sullivan, Sloan etc.

Griffin is here to continue the rebuild in our endeavour to get back to the top, where Panthers are now, it didn't happen overnight, Panthers fans have experienced what we are now, not so long ago.

The game is evolving quickly, some teams are being given the green light to blatantly dodge the salary cap, not to mention other injustices under this nrl regime. I feel we are headed in the right direction and despite the media's attempts to divide and conquer us, I believe if we are supportive and patient, we will get back to the top.
You feel like we are headed in the right direction? Wow, I can’t say I agree with you.
I’ve never felt more negative about the direction we are heading, I think we are heading south, I am afraid that our days of mediocrity are about to finish and the new era of bottom of pile is upon us.
Unless they blow the place up and start again right now we are on for a world of pain, if they are seriously considering Dean Young as the next coach in 24’ then it’ll be another decade before we are competitive.
That’s my take, negative isn’t it.

You feel like we are headed in the right direction? Wow, I can’t say I agree with you.
I’ve never felt more negative about the direction we are heading, I think we are heading south, I am afraid that our days of mediocrity are about to finish and the new era of bottom of pile is upon us.
Unless they blow the place up and start again right now we are on for a world of pain, if they are seriously considering Dean Young as the next coach in 24’ then it’ll be another decade before we are competitive.
That’s my take, negative isn’t it.
If one is realistic, Dragons will go no where next year. Years of failing to promote promising junior talent, inept recruiting decisions have disrupted any improvement. Cave man coaching is a main handicap. Penrith have shown the way in nurturing and developing young talent and look at the results. It will be a stretch if a top eight finish is obtained next year. If we do i will eat my hat.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not sure it matters.
Honest question, will we beat the dogs next year? Doubt it. Even Tigers will be better with the addition of Papali, Korisou, Stains, a hungry Benji coaching. I doubt we would beat them, 50/50 game really.
So if we just drew teams out of a hat now and said for example Dogs, Tigers, Sharks, Raiders, Manly as our first 5 rounds, how many games do you think we win? I reckon 1 or 2, and that’s a pretty easy draw playing teams that finished 2, 8, 11, 12, 16
Hook is done, we ain’t starting strong next year, no May premiers anymore for us, those days are finished with the current mess.
I reckon we have the Titans & Warriors covered if we are fed dinkum. I am confident with 0 out of that 5. If we are lucky and Turbo is out we might just beat Manly.
We always struggle against the Tigers & Dogs

Dragon David

First Grade
I reckon we have the Titans & Warriors covered if we are fed dinkum. I am confident with 0 out of that 5. If we are lucky and Turbo is out we might just beat Manly.
We always struggle against the Tigers & Dogs
All true there BLM01. I'm not giving up on the team and I think they will be slightly better than last year. To me they will not be the wooden spooners. It doesn't mean that I am happy having Hook as our coach. If there is to be a change in the head coach position, whoever they go for HAS to be the best of the bunch that is available not just for "family" reasons because what follows if the best isn't signed up, we definitely will be wallowing for years to come.

True_Believer

Juniors
If one is realistic, Dragons will go no where next year. Years of failing to promote promising junior talent, inept recruiting decisions have disrupted any improvement. Cave man coaching is a main handicap. Penrith have shown the way in nurturing and developing young talent and look at the results. It will be a stretch if a top eight finish is obtained next year. If we do i will eat my hat.
What you are missing is that Hook started that process years before.

Latest posts