What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Billeus

Juniors
Is everyone that hates hook with a burning passion just going to ignore Sloan saying 'I wish I'd been better at listening to the truth earlier"? Even if you choose not to believe that, the same people will get all excited about us signing savelio tamale from the warratahs. He came to the Dragons over the roosters and manly after having a lunch with hook. I reiterate, by no means am i saying hook has done an outstanding job in his time here, but fmd give the man credit when credit's due.
Agree with most of what you said Parko, I'm just hesitant to judge the quality of the job Hooks doing here so far as less than outstanding

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
I'm in agreeance with Norm on this one, 12 wins at this stage of an obvious rebuild is a solid achievement, taking into account ;

3 rookies were blooded, 2 in the spine,
Depth of quality in forward roster,
Hindering refereeing inconsistencies, sin binnings etc and harsh Judiciary suspensions
Of course you are because every post of yours is a ridiculous defence of Griffin and his amateurish coaching. I’m glad you’re enjoying the decade long demolition of this rabble of a club.

Billeus

Juniors
Of course you are because every post of yours is a ridiculous defence of Griffin and his amateurish coaching. I’m glad you’re enjoying the decade long demolition of this rabble of a club.
Enjoying the improvement of the last two years

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
He's been here two years, rebuilding a team, with positive outcomes in the junior development
You know that if there are obvious signs of improvement next year Hook will get absolutely no credit whatsoever.

Even at the end of this season I could see some improvement in attacking structures (we did finish off the last few games far better than previous years) and the beginning of some form of set plays was evident and the move of Lomax to left centre in the last game also looked to pay some positive dividends.

Whilst I hoped for better and I am pissed off at the games we lost that should never have been lost and also pissed off at some of the terrible defence and last tackle attacking (lol) options I am not so pissed of to not recognise that which was good.

The Mc Fookknuckle years were far worse and not to be underestimated as to how much and for how long they have and will continue to damage the psyche of the entire club and supporter base.

I'm not saying Hook is the answer or should even be retained but I am willing to say that much of what is put at his doorstep is just click bait journalism that attracts our most critical supporters like flies to shit on a blanket.

Maximus

Coach
Is everyone that hates hook with a burning passion just going to ignore Sloan saying 'I wish I'd been better at listening to the truth earlier"? Even if you choose not to believe that, the same people will get all excited about us signing savelio tamale from the warratahs. He came to the Dragons over the roosters and manly after having a lunch with hook. I reiterate, by no means am i saying hook has done an outstanding job in his time here, but fmd give the man credit when credit's due.

Simple rule

Everything good that happens is despite Hook's existence
Everything bad is solely because of Hook's existence

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey OT, the Saints finished stronger this season only due to the draw and they only just by luck beat the Tigers. If they played any of the top 8 sides in the last 3 rounds it would have easily been 0-3. The biggest anomaly this whole season was the 1st half against Souths. All the other games were terrible to watch. Manly had the Pride round debacle and apart from that were by far better than Saints most of the season. Not looking at how much points Saints got on the table, 10th or 11th is were they deserved to be not higher that is for sure. A true reflection to the season season.

For anyone to suggest they would make the 8 any other year on 26 points is stretching it big time because that just shows how poor the bottom 8 sides compared to the top 8. The sponsors clearly don't watch the NRL, they just look at the ladder at the end of the season on that comment. And having 3 players turn up to your end of year. Well that also says a lot. I was surprised that the Sponsor was not concerned. Makes sense why the Management at Saints don't really set high standards.

Yow

Juniors
Hey OT, the Saints finished stronger this season only due to the draw and they only just by luck beat the Tigers. If they played any of the top 8 sides in the last 3 rounds it would have easily been 0-3. The biggest anomaly this whole season was the 1st half against Souths. All the other games were terrible to watch. Manly had the Pride round debacle and apart from that were by far better than Saints most of the season. Not looking at how much points Saints got on the table, 10th or 11th is were they deserved to be not higher that is for sure. A true reflection to the season season.

For anyone to suggest they would make the 8 any other year on 26 points is stretching it big time because that just shows how poor the bottom 8 sides compared to the top 8. The sponsors clearly don't watch the NRL, they just look at the ladder at the end of the season on that comment. And having 3 players turn up to your end of year. Well that also says a lot. I was surprised that the Sponsor was not concerned. Makes sense why the Management at Saints don't really set high standards.
How did the pride round for Manly do it we played them on the Friday night the week before their pride round

SEAT 1A

Bench
By memory, we missed the eight by three wins.

Should have beaten an understrength BNE, threw away Titans and could have won one more game maybe CBR. Looking back with the injuries and suspensions and pure numbers not a bad effort.

Manly imploded and rest were just horrible.

The game has change changed however, that the current state of play.

The book isn't even open let alone not on the same page as the players from what we have heard and read and that's the problem.

The coaching department has been changed and time will tell but if that's the best option I can't see any major changes next year unless Hook can take an off hands approach.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
You know that if there are obvious signs of improvement next year Hook will get absolutely no credit whatsoever.
Yes here is where any praise/credit will be redirected if we perform well next year:

- 'These new assistant coaches must be good, I wonder if they're ready to replace Hook next year'

- 'Sloan and Sullivan must've spread the word that Hook is gone next year so that's why the players are playing well. They mustn't be listening to him!'

- 'I heard the assistant coaches are giving the half time addresses now!'

- 'If only McCullough was given less game time last year and the kids got more of a run like we've been saying for the last 3 years, we'd be minor premiers by now!'

Happy for anyone else to hazard a guess of some of the BS we can expect to read on here when the improvement comes.

Gareth67

First Grade
By memory, we missed the eight by three wins.

Should have beaten an understrength BNE, threw away Titans and could have won one more game maybe CBR. Looking back with the injuries and suspensions and pure numbers not a bad effort.

Manly imploded and rest were just horrible.

The game has change changed however, that the current state of play.

The book isn't even open let alone not on the same page as the players from what we have heard and read and that's the problem.

The coaching department has been changed and time will tell but if that's the best option I can't see any major changes next year unless Hook can take an off hands approach.
Your right S1A , the last couple of seasons the Dragons could had just made the semifinals , as there were matches that they should had won , but simply never turned up on the day to do so .

One which springs to mind is the Broncos game where they had numerous players out to SOO duties or injured . They were there for the taking , yet our boys just couldn’t get their act together and we played as a team without any cohesion whatsoever as the baby broncs put us through the cleaners .

Unforgivable that was , and in so many matches .
If I was Griffin I would get the entire playing group together and tell them to forget about the muck in the press and pass disappointments and the need to bond into one united playing group , etc. ect. etc.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Your right S1A , the last couple of seasons the Dragons could had just made the semifinals , as there were matches that they should had won , but simply never turned up on the day to do so .

One which springs to mind is the Broncos game where they had numerous players out to SOO duties or injured . They were there for the taking , yet our boys just couldn’t get their act together and play as a team with some cohesion a the baby broncs put us to the cleaners .

Unforgivable playing that way , and in so many matches .
If I was Griffin I would get the entire playing group together and tell them to forget about the muck in the press and pass disappointments and the need to bond into one united playing group , etc. ect. etc.
Tariq Simms getting sent of twice in the same game killed us against the Broncos. We can’t afford to let that happen. Ridiculous, whoever you play…

BLM01

First Grade
I’m a well known Nathan Brown fan on this forum & I stand by that. His 2 GF qualifiers are light years away from our current performance.

Nathan’s main strength was the development of local talent, a pathways role would be perfect for him. How many players in the 2010 team were graded by Nathan? Enough said.
Me too.. huge fan as a player, the way he speaks and I think he knows his stuff.
Yeh he might do a good job in pathways and if he signs on I hope he does.
I am just over this club not looking past current staff or ex players for so many key positions
Maybe that is starting to change at 1st grade level I hope

True_Believer

Juniors
Me too.. huge fan as a player, the way he speaks and I think he knows his stuff.
Yeh he might do a good job in pathways and if he signs on I hope he does.
I am just over this club not looking past current staff or ex players for so many key positions
Maybe that is starting to change at 1st grade level I hope
Me too - one of my favorite players.

If you haven't already, go and watch Jammer's interview with Brownie. Really provides some great insights into coaching and his thoughts on his own coaching career.

possm

Coach
Well yes, now is the time to sack Griffin. Give our new coach the opportunity to turn things around with the control of a full pre-season and a say in any recruitment of players for season 2023.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Agree with you 100% Posm but that ain't how Saints work. They like to give coaches a full off season and some games before flicking them lilke they did with Mary. They don't seem to learn from mistakes just make them over again like re-signing a coach after a couple of wins and not waiting till later in the season.

Hook going through tough times at the moment with the passing of his dad so it will be a tough one if he does get the flick after such circumstances. Media will be all over it like a flash in how ruthless Saints are.

Latest posts