What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Avenger

Immortal
The way Griffin conducted himself after being sacked by Gould was all class as far as I’m concerned. Nothing leaked from him even though it was obvious that his sacking was unfair.

I think he is probably on par with our guy that we have just re-signed, we just have a better squad. At least he saw the light and boned that imposter, Corey Norman.

Good luck next year, I don’t like seeing the Dragons struggling as they are very important to the NRL and I love our clashes when we are both on top of our game.

Maddragon99

Juniors
A couple of things for you guys to ponder.

Hook doesn't have to be 're-signed' for '23, he has a contract already, albeit a CO, which only has to be activated. The only 're-signing' is if they decide any any further years, barring being sacked of course, but I can't see that happening. As I've said numerous times, it's more than ladder position that determines a coach's future. Brad Arthur, for example, was touted as the first coach to be sacked in many seasons, yet this week has secured a 3yr extension.

As far assistants go, I'm also not impressed by Gentle as a defensive coach, however, as I said in another thread, there are players who want to listen and those that have to listen. I believe some or most of those have been moved on. Elliott himself, stated his role was changing, and I get the sense he is shifting roles to a more recruitment type (although I could be wrong), this would open the door for a 'younger' assistant to step up. No current assistants at other clubs who are 'the next man up' are going to change and come to the Dragons. So, that leaves internal promotion, and that's a scary thought. Next batter up for us? Firstly, look at who's coaching KOE Cup this year............no thanks. Then there's 'old boys' like Head and Timmins. Jersey Flegg coach Willie Talau would be an interesting choice, but lacks the experience imo.

So, in the wash-up of that probably you're looking at Head, who was recently appointed as the Dragons women's coach, which ultimately means nothing, as he has the 'most experience coaching at KOE Cup level and acting as a 'runner' in first grade.

Be careful what you wish for.
I posted in a different thread, if Griffin stays then he needs a different support system around him. We conceded 22.6 points a game in 2020 then 25.6 points a game in 2021. Penrith were under 12 points a game in both 2020 & 2021.

Being approximately double the bench mark isn’t going to get us anywhere near the top tier teams.

denis preston

First Grade
Whilst some say defence is the easiest to fix and is 90% attitude , I don't agree. Certainly attitude and desire is required but a sound structure for every player to commit to ( such as trusting your inside man ) is the foundation . This structure was certainly not evident last season. Assistant coaches are the hardest to gauge from great ones to bad ones. You really have to be inside the club itself to know properly.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The way Griffin conducted himself after being sacked by Gould was all class as far as I’m concerned. Nothing leaked from him even though it was obvious that his sacking was unfair.

I think he is probably on par with our guy that we have just re-signed, we just have a better squad. At least he saw the light and boned that imposter, Corey Norman.

Good luck next year, I don’t like seeing the Dragons struggling as they are very important to the NRL and I love our clashes when we are both on top of our game.

Thanks for your kind words Avenger- gotta say it makes a refreshing and classy change from the gloating, jeering posts from our neighbours (the obnoxious Sharks).

Maddragon99

Juniors
Not these days mate. That’s a vital and skilled role and a necessary one. We’ve been light in this area since Bennett days. His filling a void not getting moved sideways imo.
Hope you’re correct & this is more his forte because he sucks as a defensive coach.

Maddragon99

Juniors
If you’re going to have a rant at least get your facts right
Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant! :)

Anyway I’m happy, I’ve been calling for a shake up in the coaching staff so at least some changes have been made. I rate Matt Head he’s a very smart guy, it’s good to see his efforts rewarded. Also I like Sowie getting more responsibility he’s also a very smart guy.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant! :)

Anyway I’m happy, I’ve been calling for a shake up in the coaching staff so at least some changes have been made. I rate Matt Head he’s a very smart guy, it’s good to see his efforts rewarded. Also I like Sowie getting more responsibility he’s also a very smart guy.
Both put forward by another very smart guy in Anthony Griffin.

TruSaint

Referee
Mat Elliott has experience and his speciality at present is getting players into the right head space, considering the floggings our players get from opposition on the field and supporters off the field it's an important role.

I dont disagree with that at all.

BLM01

First Grade
Well..not yet
even before a ball has been kicked in 22

Stability for potential 2023 signings perhaps and he would need that time anyway.
1-2 years was never going to be long enough for anybody to turn us into some sort of real threat on the top 8 from where we were at the end of 20

getsmarty

Immortal
Well..not yet
even before a ball has been kicked in 22

Stability for potential 2023 signings perhaps and he would need that time anyway.
1-2 years was never going to be long enough for anybody to turn us into some sort of real threat on the top 8 from where we were at the end of 20

Agree 100%... had to clean up the previous mess...retained most of our promising juniors.... think back a few seasons....juniors left because they couldn't get a start....they now have a pathway....

Latest posts