What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Old Timer

Coach
Hook could win the comp and he wouldn’t get an extension because Dean Young is coming back no matter what in 2024 at least that’s what many an expert in this place thinks.

How dare people consider that all the hype around Young and vitriol towards the club could possibly be unwarranted.

For mine if Hook & Co get us into the 8 he will get 2 more years unless Bellamy or Robinson were available.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Teams 1 - 4 face pressure to maintain their position. Teams 13 - 16/17 face pressure to avoid the spoon.

But those 5 - 12 clubs are under no real pressure: scrape into the eight and you've over-achieved; just miss out and it's bad luck and aiming for better next year.

As a club in that comfortable middle section, the Dragons are a bit like the public service. Everyone knows it could be improved but that would attract scrutiny. And even the ambitious are ultimately stymied by the inertia of all of those far happier to cash a pretty easy pay cheque.

The club needs a circuit-breaker but until then, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Hook extended.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Teams 1 - 4 face pressure to maintain their position. Teams 13 - 16/17 face pressure to avoid the spoon.

But those 5 - 12 clubs are under no real pressure: scrape into the eight and you've over-achieved; just miss out and it's bad luck and aiming for better next year.

As a club in that comfortable middle section, the Dragons are a bit like the public service. Everyone knows it could be improved but that would attract scrutiny. And even the ambitious are ultimately stymied by the inertia of all of those far happier to cash a pretty easy pay cheque.

The club needs a circuit-breaker but until then, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Hook extended.
The circuit breaker will come this year when we finish in the bottom 2…..only then will the outcry which follows produce some changes

Gareth67

First Grade
The circuit breaker will come this year when we finish in the bottom 2…..only then will the outcry which follows produce some changes
And then the only reason will be because of the backlash the Dragon boardroom will receive .

Not that their positions will be in jeopardy , but they will not want to be painted as a group of individuals with no idea of how to change the clubs fortunes around - both on the field and as a club that has true premiership aspirations year in , years out .

redv13

Bench
So what does Hook need to do to get an extension? We’ve missed the 8 last two years, our culture is as bad as it’s ever been, we are wooden spoon favourites coming into his last contract year.
For me he’d need to make second week of finals this year. That would show that he’s building something and deserves another couple of years. Anything less than that and I’d let him go.
If we start poorly, best to terminate his contract early and go with an interim head coach for most of 2023.
The way I see it mate is that we haven’t played finals since 2018. Got close last year and in my opinion we were unlucky in a couple of must win games and in the end that was the difference in not making it.

We make the 8 this year then Hook definitely deserves a contract extension BUT can we afford to drag the coaching situation out for most of the season??

Potential new signings will want to know who the coach for 2024 and beyond will be before making a decision to sign or not sign.

Bit of a conundrum ahead of us but that’s the Saints way isn’t it?

SEAT 1A

Bench
The club backed Hook last year and didn't get rid of him, I can't say it was just money.

I'm looking forward to seeing the relationship between the playing group and Ryan Carr and Ben Woolf.

It hasn't been a great start for them with no Amone, Cody and Bud but they will be earning their money.

Woke up this morning with the horrible realisation that the Amone/Ramsey issues have handed Hook the perfect excuse as to why he won’t be sacked during the 23 season.

Our team will effectively be operating a 28 man squad.

We will need a large dose of Lady Luck to do well this season.

I live in hope.