What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor tonite!!

since77

Juniors
An outsider here with no intention of trolling...

Personally I rate Tyson Frizell as your best player and I couldn't help but notice that he only played 52 minutes.

Was he injured or is Mary an even dumber coach than what I thought?

FWIW as a Roosters fan I find league far more interesting when our greatest rivals and my least favourite teams - Dragons & Rabbits (I'm sure that feeling is reciprocated) - are doing well.

But whilst ever Mary is your coach you'll either continue to stagnate or, somehow, regress even further. Personally I think he's thr worst NRL foach I've seen since Terry Lamb and Paul Langmack.

Unfortunately for us, he's the worst coach we've had since...... Steve Price.

Management incompetence of the highest order.

rainman44

Bench
an outsider here with no intention of trolling...

Personally i rate tyson frizell as your best player and i couldn't help but notice that he only played 52 minutes.

Was he injured or is mary an even dumber coach than what i thought?

Fwiw as a roosters fan i find league far more interesting when our greatest rivals and my least favourite teams - dragons & rabbits (i'm sure that feeling is reciprocated) - are doing well.

But whilst ever mary is your coach you'll either continue to stagnate or, somehow, regress even further. Personally i think he's thr worst nrl foach i've seen since terry lamb and paul langmack.

100%

grouch

First Grade
McGregor has a far better roster than Price though, who was forced to use the likes of an ageing Nathan Fien and Chase Stanley in the halves

BennyV

Referee
An outsider here with no intention of trolling...

Personally I rate Tyson Frizell as your best player and I couldn't help but notice that he only played 52 minutes.

Was he injured or is Mary an even dumber coach than what I thought?

FWIW as a Roosters fan I find league far more interesting when our greatest rivals and my least favourite teams - Dragons & Rabbits (I'm sure that feeling is reciprocated) - are doing well.

But whilst ever Mary is your coach you'll either continue to stagnate or, somehow, regress even further. Personally I think he's thr worst NRL foach I've seen since Terry Lamb and Paul Langmack.

Definitely the latter. Mary seems to have convinced himself that he's revolutionised Tysons role by using switching him between the edge and the middle. Tyson is most dangerous and a powerful ball-runner, he can hit gaps like nobody's business and terrorise outside defenders 1 on 1. He is also extremely solid in defense and can read the attack well.

Why Mary feels the need to bring him into the middle and sub him for Jake Marketo I'll never know.

St Georgio

Juniors
Steve Price was King of Shit coaches, I would say McGregor, Craig Young, Langmack,Cronin, Hilditch,Lambs are all the same.Good players no idea!

Uplifting

Juniors
Raudonikis was another fail.

For mine the club needs to honour there contract with Mary. They can be on the look out for another coach in the meantime. We have last years Premiers attacking coach doing good things with the Cutters. U20s doing much better than last year too with there new coach.

BennyV

Referee

For mine the club needs to honour there contract with Mary. They can be on the look out for another coach in the meantime. We have last years Premiers attacking coach doing good things with the Cutters. U20s doing much better than last year too with there new coach.

What?! Why?!

grouch

First Grade
Yeah it makes no sense. We need a new coach before November, because that's when we can start signing players for 2018.

18to87

First Grade

I don't agree because the playing roster is significantly underachieving but you are right that they will honour his contract unless the team tanks the rest of the season. It will take 11th position or under for Mary to get his walking papers. They can't afford to fire a coach that finishes any higher nor one that will likely fall into the finals based on the incompetence of other clubs.

I've been kind of joking about Demetriou getting the job next. He's reserve grade level, he's got no more genuine experience to talk about than McGregor or Price and the only objective thing he's got going for him is that he'll be cheap and pliable.

But right now, seriously, there's no good reason not to bring him in (McGregor's f****ng contract notwithstanding). If he turns out to be worse than McGregor, he can only be marginally worse. And even then we could sack him cheaply if we give him a caretaker's contract and sign, f**, who knows? But even the slim chance of him being better is worth taking at this stage. He'll have nothing much to lose, the club will have nothing much to lose. The worst that can happen is we end up twelfth instead of tenth or we get a dead cat bounce and we end up eighth and he's resigned for another year in which case 2017 is another McGregor like year. But if McGregor's going to be in charge it'll definitely be a McGregor type year anyway.

I've been kind of joking about Demetriou getting the job next. He's reserve grade level, he's got no more genuine experience to talk about than McGregor or Price and the only objective thing he's got going for him is that he'll be cheap and pliable.

But right now, seriously, there's no good reason not to bring him in (McGregor's f****ng contract notwithstanding). If he turns out to be worse than McGregor, he can only be marginally worse. And even then we could sack him cheaply if we give him a caretaker's contract and sign, f**, who knows? But even the slim chance of him being better is worth taking at this stage. He'll have nothing much to lose, the club will have nothing much to lose. The worst that can happen is we end up twelfth instead of tenth or we get a dead cat bounce and we end up eighth and he's resigned for another year in which case 2017 is another McGregor like year. But if McGregor's going to be in charge it'll definitely be a McGregor type year anyway.

Uplifting

Juniors
Reason to honour a contract primarily is integrity. The culture of cutting contracts short based on short term goals would bring its own problems, some highlighted on this forum e.g. Playing safe unattractive football to try to squeeze in to the eight! I agree Mary has underperformed, seems to lack vision and is stubborn. But we (Dragons fans and club) need to harden up and honour his contract. The club will be better positioned for it IMHO.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
All debate about integrity and the like can be set aside in the world of professional sports. All that matters is the result.

Unfortunately we are beholden to the purse strings of the NRL due to the mismanagement of the club. To this end (and I am very surprised that the NRL has not pushed for change) the senior management team must be cleared out.

If we can get Bruce Gordon involved together with a football savvy and commercially orientated senior football administration we will move forward. Until then we are stuck with the current position; and that includes Paul McGregor as coach.

The sad bit for me is that we have a decent roster, but we are very poorly coached and motivated. As much as I love Dean Young and Ben Hornby what senior coaching experience do they bring to the 1st grade squad? Nothing is the answer. They would be better off moving to the ESL for a 3 year stint and then returning to the club.

As for McGregor I actually felt sorry for him on Monday night at the press conference. He looks confused. He does not know what to do. It is awkward watching someone so inept and realising that he might be coming to the same conclusion is somewhat sad.

Price had the same resigned look around the time of the Parramatta game in 2014. It was embarrassing.

Buckle in folks. Winter is coming. It is going to get colder and more bleak down Kogarah and Wollongong way before the sun shines again. I think this bleakness has no end in sight unfortunately !

Mary still can't accept he is part of the problem and not the solution.

There is only so many times you can publicly blame your players and yet make no changes of note to the team line up before the players draw the conclusion you are a wood duck

BennyV

Referee
Reason to honour a contract primarily is integrity. The culture of cutting contracts short based on short term goals would bring its own problems, some highlighted on this forum e.g. Playing safe unattractive football to try to squeeze in to the eight! I agree Mary has underperformed, seems to lack vision and is stubborn. But we (Dragons fans and club) need to harden up and honour his contract. The club will be better positioned for it IMHO.

With all due respect, f**k that! Sacking McGregor is not for short term gain; quite the opposite, it leads to finally starting the rebuild that should have begun in 2012. Every decision he makes is for short term gain, sacking him is a big-picture decision and we will 100% be better placed for it.

And lol@integrity. The club lost its integrity when it concocted a bullshit review in 2013 that lead to keeping Price, then shut the door on integrity with another bullshit review that lead to Marys 3 year contract.

7Seven7

Juniors
With all due respect, f**k that! Sacking McGregor is not for short term gain; quite the opposite, it leads to finally starting the rebuild that should have begun in 2012. Every decision he makes is for short term gain, sacking him is a big-picture decision and we will 100% be better placed for it.

And lol@integrity. The club lost its integrity when it concocted a bullshit review in 2013 that lead to keeping Price, then shut the door on integrity with another bullshit review that lead to Marys 3 year contract.

Sacking him now will achieve what ?
It wont happen anyway.

We are destined for a poor season, .. lets honour the contract and then move Mary on.

The alternative is a short measure band aid, until 2017. Who will step into this mess now ?

denis preston

First Grade

Makes sense to me. Why didn't we just commit to one max two years with these rookie coaches? What alternative would they have.Bit like any of us starting a new job, it comes with a 6 month trial period.

Old Timer

Coach
There are countless coaches in countless sports the whole world over that have contracts but they get terminated due to lack of team performances and outcomes.

The good clubs resolve this matters quickly and decisively as they have the money to pay out the contract so the question is do we have the money to do so or do we lack the conviction to do it?

So if Mary is a rookie and not on much money and we can't pay him out we are an absolute basket case and the first TPA we need is one that allows us to pay Mary out.

Smart business would be to get rid of him, get a high profile replacement, a few gun players and the upside of a more successful club with a happy supporter base would quickly provide the required return on investment.

If it doesn't happen then it can only be "the boys club" scenario.