What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Bellamy is the only world class coach in the NRL at the moment.

Alot of the others are good in their own right and would help the Dragons on field but off it they would not get any support from the board and get undermined at every turn.

Mary certainly needs to go but he isn't the biggest issue the club has and every other coach knows it.

Thats a good reason why most would say thanks but no thanks.

Dragsters

First Grade
Bellamy is the only world class coach in the NRL at the moment.

Alot of the others are good in their own right and would help the Dragons on field but off it they would not get any support from the board and get undermined at every turn.

Mary certainly needs to go but he isn't the biggest issue the club has and every other coach knows it.

Thats a good reason why most would say thanks but no thanks.

Exactly, and therein lies the real issue and you could say the same about real marquee players as well.

I can say even if JD was promoted and did a half decent job which imo he could knowing what the players have said about him when they play with the Cutters.

What real support would he get if that shit stain merkin face O'Connor was still on the board.

Its merkins like him that is killing this club and honestly he has an agenda and its not a good one.

Dragsters

First Grade
I can say even if JD was promoted and did a half decent job which imo he could knowing what the players have said about him when they play with the Cutters.

What real support would he get if that shit stain merkin face O'Connor was still on the board.

Its merkins like him that is killing this club and honestly he has an agenda and its not a good one.

I dunno much about him coast. Is he self-serving or is his agenda something more sinister do you think?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Who would you suggest?

My number 1 preference would be Brad Arthur. Would also take Trent Robinson, Des Hasler or Michael Maguire* (*in the short term).

Problem is we need a Board with a clear strategic plan going forward that a head coach would be interesting in buying in to. Until we have that we are not going to land a coach who can take us to another Premiership. This has been proven by the fact that we have made big money plays at Bellamy and Bennett and failed to land either.

St Georgio

Juniors
My number 1 preference would be Brad Arthur. Would also take Trent Robinson, Des Hasler or Michael Maguire* (*in the short term).

Problem is we need a Board with a clear strategic plan going forward that a head coach would be interesting in buying in to. Until we have that we are not going to land a coach who can take us to another Premiership. This has been proven by the fact that we have made big money plays at Bellamy and Bennett and failed to land either.
See we need someone now, all of those mentioned are not available.

FlameThrower

Bench

Only Maquire is realistic option, rest seem to have built support from board,fans and players. But Cleary I think should be looked at too, there was an ESL coach who was interested in Oz NRL he coached last England team here a few years back, his name escapes me though?

rainman44

Bench
C
Only Maquire is realistic option, rest seem to have built support from board,fans and players. But Cleary I think should be looked at too, there was an ESL coach who was interested in Oz NRL he coached last England team here a few years back, his name escapes me though?
cleary has a gun son that could be ours for along time if we sign Cleary. I know he signed with the panthers but after a couple of years he will only be 20. He would be my target.

BennyV

Referee
Steve McNamara, currently assistant at the Roosters.

If we are looking at ESL, Tony Smith and Shaun Wane would be the targets. Wane has, in the past, expressed interest about coming to NRL. Neither will happen though.

getsmarty

Immortal
Highs, Lows and Big Blows: Can Michael Maguire and Paul McGregor survive NRL season 2016?
  • 7 hours ago
  • by Simon Brunsdon and Nathan Ryan
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

AT the start of the year Jason Taylor and Andrew McFadden were under the pump.

Rumours were rife that the two coaches were in the firing line should they fail to get their teams to fire yet with five weeks left in the regular season and it’s Paul McGregor and Michael Maguire feeling the heat.

Already the South Sydney coach has put his coaching staff on the chopping block, while angry St George Illawarra fans demand answers.

To further complicate things, the likes of quality coaches Ivan Cleary and Geoff Toovey are cooling their heels on the sidelines waiting for an opportunity.

Not far behind them are Penrith assistant Garth Brennan, Kiwi Test coach Stephen Kearney and even current Queensland Origin boss Kevin Walters has marked his desire to claim a head coaching position.

According to the Fox Sports Lab, the NRL hasn’t gone without a mid-season sacking in over a decade but will this season buck the trend?

ac94637f33065da3acd1c1c879fd4be1

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire during Souths training.Source: News Corp Australia
There’s no denying the Rabbitohs are a club under duress.

Sunday’s 50 point hiding at the hands of Canberra marked the club’s eighth straight loss for the season and their worst loss in the Maguire era.

General Manager of football Shane Richardson recently said it wasn’t coach Maguire that needed to change things in The Burrow, and issued a warning to the playing group over their attitudes and commitment.

“Near the end of last year and start of this year, people started to question Michael Maguire (but) I don’t want Michael Maguire to be one bit different to what he was when we won the grand final,” Richardson said in a video interview for club members posted on their website last week.

“(That’s) a hard-nosed, tough disciplinary who wants to get the best out of his players and any player who doesn’t want to participate in that is simply not going to be here.

“I don’t want Michael Maguire to change at all.

“I love what Michael Maguire does. He’s won us the first premiership for 43 years and it was only 16 months ago.

“What we don’t want Michael Maguire to lose is what he’s good at and that is; the discipline, strong will and want to win that he creates for the club.”

Maguire’s not alone when it comes to coaches under the microscope.

McGregor is right behind him with the Dragons’ narrow loss to Canterbury over the weekend handing the joint venture their fourth straight defeat.

537223_640x360_large_20160729222725.jpg

Dogs outlast the Dragons

While they’ve claimed eight scalps this year, their attack is one of the worst in the competition.

The 249 points they’ve scored ranks ahead of only Newcastle (241) and Parramatta (184).

Little over a week ago, Dragons CEO Peter Doust penned an open letter to their members and corporate partners where he addressed the fans’ calls for change.

“We all acknowledge the present dissatisfaction with team performance of late and we are also aware that our venue strategies are not to the liking of all,” Doust wrote.

“It is to be noted that decisions regarding the employment of individuals are the responsibility of the Board of Directors which is what occurs in most Companies and Organisations.

“Please know that I am not going to resign when challenges present, that is simply not my way — I also know that Paul McGregor’s values are the same.”

Welcome to Highs, Lows and Big Blows for round 21.

HIGHS

The last laugh

Dragons winger Kurt Mann scored a try in what was a busy performance in their loss to the Bulldogs.

In his eighth game of the year, Mann started the season at fullback before being punted to reserve grade after two weeks.

Since forcing his way back in the NRL side, the 23-year-old has been dependable and is easily the Dragons leading tryscorer with eight tries in as many games.

Mann made 97 metres, two offloads and one tackle bust in his best game in first grade this season.

LOWS

Old Dog, old tricks

537201_640x360_large_20160729203907.jpg

Reynolds trips up Dragon

0:30
You would think Josh Reynolds might learn from his mistakes. Apparently not.

The Canterbury playmaker is in hot water once again for a tripping offence, but won’t miss any game time if he takes the early guilty plea to a grade one charge.

Reynolds stuck his leg out at Dragons player Joel Thompson during Friday night’s clash.

It wasn’t the first time he’s done it. Will it be the last?

There’s something seriously wrong at Redfern.

The 2014 premiers are a shadow of the team that went all the way just two seasons ago.

A monster 54-4 loss at the hands of Canberra on Sunday was enough to make the most ardent Bunnies supporter turn off the television.

The Rabbitohs barely fired a shot as the Raiders walked all over the once-proud club.

BIG BLOWS

Touchy, touchy

537197_640x360_large_20160729202624.jpg

Frizell touches ref

0:24
St George Illawarra forward Tyson Frizell is facing a one-game ban for touching a referee on Friday night.

The NRL has cracked down on players coming in contact with officials this year, and Frizell is the latest to feel the wrath of the match review committee.

It’s infuriated rugby league legends Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer, who both lashed out at the NRL on Sunday over the issue.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...6/news-story/d92582068b989f170e91e720033b45da

St Georgio

Juniors
Steve McNamara, currently assistant at the Roosters.

If we are looking at ESL, Tony Smith and Shaun Wane would be the targets. Wane has, in the past, expressed interest about coming to NRL. Neither will happen though.
Why don't they want to come, I thought everyone wanted to Brexit?

BringTheNoise

Juniors
See we need someone now, all of those mentioned are not available.

Anyone is available if you have a competent board who is willing to do what needs to be done.

Canterbury proved that when they signed Hasler weeks after Manly won their last premiership. Greenberg may be a perceived as a piece of s*** but he's testament to the fact nice guys finish last.

I simply don't see any point in signing a half decent coach to bring us half decent results. We need someone who will win us a Premiership before 2020.

BringTheNoise

Juniors

With our current board even Maguire isn't a realistic option.

emu62

Juniors
I believe Kevin Walters is looking for a full time gig. i think he could be worth a try
Although not a proven coach he has a good football brain & most importantly he has a great rapport with the players,comes with no excess baggage,wants to prove himself & if he kept the Queensland position we would have no trouble attracting decent players.At the very least at least the press conferences would be humorous.As for Arthur, his dream was to coach Parra why woud he move to us.With the effort Souths are putting in lately,you gota worry about Maguire also
Ok you can start shooting now

Dragsters

First Grade
I agree emu, Walters would be one of the better options of the few available for all of the reasons you have listed.

Streets ahead of Cleary imo.

Red V for life

Juniors
Well, he's been an assistant in Melbourne and Brisbane. He's coached the Toowoomba Clydesdales (premiership) and the Ipswich Jets (minor premiership) in the Queensland Cup and the Catalans Dragons in Super League. He is a winning Origin coach and if you believe Gordon Tallis, the Broncos could do a lot worse than bring him back into the fold to help the HALVES!

He is a no BS coach and I respect the stance he took on the Origin selection of those who broke curfew. Demands players be accountable. If you listen to him on NRL on Fox or commentating, he knows what he is talking about.

I wonder why he hasn't landed a gig to date, but he may have been just biding his time for the right one.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he was appointed our next coach.