What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

True_Believer

Juniors
Some teams are highly structured but they are also able to apply a tourniquet on the opposition even whilst they are being attacked and they keep tightening until they strangle them and then create broken play and then whooshka they are off and gone.
Storm are incredible at it and they never panic whilst doing it and that is how they create so many run away tries.
Sharks and Rabbits are also capable of it at different times because they just seem to give you so little and then have speedsters that streak away in the blink of an eye.
I think if we can get a little better at keeping that pressure on Dufty is going to have a field day (sorry Jai) and Mann as well as they are light steppers and very fast in amongst a lot of traffic..

I think Storm are good at it because of those in the middle controlling the game. There is nobody better (other than maybe JT) at reading the game and adapting than Smith. Having Slater out the back reading his thoughts with every move helps.

It would have been interesting to see if we did adapt to the Warriors and Panthers whether they would have been able to adapt. I'd suspect maybe Panthers would have because of Maloney - and I think he was the key to the Sharks adapting. I don't think they adapt as well as they used to.

For me it comes down to the capability of the player.

Bench
We need to keep this thread going. If the team does any worse in 2019 compared to our start this year then it’s open season on him

Some teams are highly structured but they are also able to apply a tourniquet on the opposition even whilst they are being attacked and they keep tightening until they strangle them and then create broken play and then whooshka they are off and gone.
Storm are incredible at it and they never panic whilst doing it and that is how they create so many run away tries.
Sharks and Rabbits are also capable of it at different times because they just seem to give you so little and then have speedsters that streak away in the blink of an eye.
I think if we can get a little better at keeping that pressure on Dufty is going to have a field day (sorry Jai) and Mann as well as they are light steppers and very fast in amongst a lot of traffic..

I honestly don't think we will see the best of Dufty till next year, it will take until then for him to have the confidence to call for the play. He did against Parra with the kick and will continue to improve.
You can already see Hunt and Widdop trying to get him into space, the play with Luc was also good.
But next year all this stuff will come off on a regular basis.

I think Storm are good at it because of those in the middle controlling the game. There is nobody better (other than maybe JT) at reading the game and adapting than Smith. Having Slater out the back reading his thoughts with every move helps.

It would have been interesting to see if we did adapt to the Warriors and Panthers whether they would have been able to adapt. I'd suspect maybe Panthers would have because of Maloney - and I think he was the key to the Sharks adapting. I don't think they adapt as well as they used to.

It will be interesting to see if we play the Warroirs with a different game plan next time.
That will tell us if Mary has the ability to adapt to different teams with different game plans, which I believe is everyone criticism

ouryears

Bench
Hahahahaha are you genuinely this wrong all the time? He took over in 2014 brain genius.
Quit putting a spin on it politician.

Mary’s record is 50% plus a weeny bit win record.
Coaches with 50% winning record deserve to be sacked.

I look at facts, not BS

Let’s see how you feel come August 1st.
Foetal position.......

Frank Facer

First Grade
And this year Mary's record is 80% wins. It just goes to show what some better cattle can do for a coach's record. The original supercoach, Jack Gibson had a 77% win strike rate coaching Easts from 74 to 76. He then had a 48% win strike rate coaching Souths from 78 to 79. He then had a 73% win strike rate while coaching Parramatta from 81 to 83. He then had a 43% win strike rate while coaching Cronulla from 85 to 87. The Easts and Parra teams were full of great players. If you put Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and Ray Price in our team this year, we would be an even better chance of winning this year's comp and that is taking nothing away from Hunt, Widdop and DeBelin.

I would like to see Bennett go to the Gold Coast or Canterbury with their current rosters and see what his win strike rate would be.

ouryears

Bench
And this year Mary's record is 80% wins. It just goes to show what some better cattle can do for a coach's record. The original supercoach, Jack Gibson had a 77% win strike rate coaching Easts from 74 to 76. He then had a 48% win strike rate coaching Souths from 78 to 79. He then had a 73% win strike rate while coaching Parramatta from 81 to 83. He then had a 43% win strike rate while coaching Cronulla from 85 to 87. The Easts and Parra teams were full of great players. If you put Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny and Ray Price in our team this year, we would be an even better chance of winning this year's comp and that is taking nothing away from Hunt, Widdop and DeBelin.

I would like to see Bennett go to the Gold Coast or Canterbury with their current rosters and see what his win strike rate would be.
In the last 4 games it’s 50%

JDHD

Juniors

I look at facts, not BS

Foetal position.......

You do realise that Craig Bellamy, the best win % of all time, is 68%, right?

The Damo

Juniors

I look at facts, not BS

Foetal position.......
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Fact - McGregor took over in 2014, you posted the 2016 team.

Spin it how you like Buzzfan1.

Old Timer

Coach
Ha ha ha ha
I poke you, Mrs McGregor

Now go and help your illiterate son paint the gym.
Or go teach Hunt how to kick a ball.
Or Widdop how to lead.
If nothing else you are predictable.
Gradually inching your way to include Widdop in your uninspiring criticisms.
Winning is really annoying you as it binds you up and stops you from shitting on individuals so in a mad frenzy it looks like you’ve taken laxettes to try and get relief and then use the splatter methodology by tainting everyone with your crap
The trouble is you are wearing a training nappy and not only is it full it’s dribbling down your legs so best you get mummy to give you a bath and a feed and freshen you up.
I hope for her sake she doesn’t trip over your dummy or the toys you have thrown out of your cot.

giboz71

First Grade
I used to remember Vas as being mildly funny. His trolling qualities were actually quite good.

This latest version of our resident troll is just sad and pathetic. Being on top of the table must really irk him.

Try and lift your game pal.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well all I can say is that after reading some of the above posts is how our Mary must be having a damn good laugh that for once it is not him being ridiculed and criticised ? ?

Old Timer

Coach

It also comes down to the coach having faith in the players.
Our "bash em" in the forwards mentality works to a point until someone bashes us, then it breaks down and this is the main gripe people have with our coaching at the moment.
We see fleeting glimpses of the wonderful counter attacks and running game and we all wonder why that style is not incorporated or encouraged in the main game plan.
Langlands and Smith were as one as are Smith & Slater & also Cronk when he was there, so we need to develop that amongst Dufty, Hunt, Widdop & Mc Innes and that surely has to be part of the training drills and at the behest of the coach.
Unfortunately I see very few planned / set moves or the instant switch on of the players radar when we make a break.
Watching the Widdop try off the Dufty kick was sublime and was something the Storm would have been proud of and we simply need to see a lot more of that instinctive style of play.
A great old adage is the more I practise the luckier I get.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It will be interesting to see if we play the Warroirs with a different game plan next time.
That will tell us if Mary has the ability to adapt to different teams with different game plans, which I believe is everyone criticism
I'd regard McGregor a lot higher if he ever managed to change a game plan during a game when everything isn't working with the original plan. Too many times in the past couple of years it was obvious the game plan they went out with wasn't working and not once has it been changed mid game to reflect that it's not working...this year it was obvious in the Souths and Warriors losses.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'd regard McGregor a lot higher if he ever managed to change a game plan during a game when everything isn't working with the original plan. Too many times in the past couple of years it was obvious the game plan they went out with wasn't working and not once has it been changed mid game to reflect that it's not working...this year it was obvious in the Souths and Warriors losses.

Lovemedragons , he will most certainly have that opportunity against the Storm , as their master coach Bellamy will more then likely showcase every trick that he possesses to ensure that his mob get home with the points .

And for the Dragons to be able to compete , Mary must be able to do likewise , constantly adjusting to whatever Bellamy throws at us whether that be our point of attack or more numbers in defence - may the football gods smile down upon us .

Latest posts