What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Gareth67

First Grade
Geeze ! Tots and O.T. , the way that you have both described the Taj Mahal , makes me glad that I live in the bush . I have only been there on a few occasions over the decades , however on each visit , there was always plenty of atmosphere about the Club .

Also , players with whom I had the privilege of having a bit of a chat with , Raper , Smith and the English chap Dick Huddart .
That does sadden me , to now realise that that once great Club , is now void of any of the happiness and good cheer , that was so evident in those halcyon years of yesterday .
It sounds as if it is nothing more than a glorified pub . I most sincerely hope that it can be turned around , somehow .

1st & 10

Juniors
They had a great piece on display, now gone. It was Frank Burge's first contract with saints . Titled Saints first big signing, it was an attractive piece, full of history . Haven't seen a repo ever ! . That premiers lounge should be close enough to a musuem, not a lifeless cave . There is a lot of great stuff stored in the old auditorium When I last looked.

I dread the amount of great stuff stashed in lord Doust's office "it's mine. All mine!!!"

monsterkev

Juniors
It's just dawned on me that the club are probably allowing this all to happen in the hope McGregor will quit before they have to sack him and pay him out. Yes, that makes some kind of sense. Things muct be worse than we thought.

God, what a pickle.
the prick is to pig headed to quit

Did he make a difference in the backline?

"Tim's an exciting player and he was brought to the club to make a difference in the back line and he'll get that opportunity on Monday night to really finish the year strong. It's important you show the best version of yourself in the last few games because that's your lasting impression.

This is super coach talking about whom? Yep.. The 'tin man'.

"It's important you show the best version of yourself in the last few games because that's your lasting impression."

"Lasting impression" for what .. For the fans to take solace in over the next 12 months until we miss the finals again.

It's worse than I thought .. This guy is dim .. I thought it may have just been incompetence... But it's the quinella.

Surely a lasting impression is created by putting in every week .. Never giving up.. Achieving more than what people expected.. Making the fans proud that you represent them.

Anyway to answer the question .. Did he make a difference to the backline?

Yes he did, and I am sure Des is very happy about it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ign-with-drew-hutchinson-20160828-gr2xoj.html

emu62

Juniors
Did he make a difference in the backline?

"Tim's an exciting player and he was brought to the club to make a difference in the back line and he'll get that opportunity on Monday night to really finish the year strong. It's important you show the best version of yourself in the last few games because that's your lasting impression.

This is super coach talking about whom? Yep.. The 'tin man'.

"It's important you show the best version of yourself in the last few games because that's your lasting impression."

"Lasting impression" for what .. For the fans to take solace in over the next 12 months until we miss the finals again.

It's worse than I thought .. This guy is dim .. I thought it may have just been incompetence... But it's the quinella.

Surely a lasting impression is created by putting in every week .. Never giving up.. Achieving more than what people expected.. Making the fans proud that you represent them.

Anyway to answer the question .. Did he make a difference to the backline?

Yes he did, and I am sure Des is very happy about it.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ign-with-drew-hutchinson-20160828-gr2xoj.html

The only version i want to see of Lafai is him wearing another teams jersey next year

sco22

Juniors
All of the above is so true and so sad and shows how much our brand has faltered over time.
Does anyone remember the cigarette dispensing machines at the top of the stairs above Sticks portrait.
They had a backboard on them 1 machine had photos of all the premiership winning sides (including lower grades) and the other machine had photos of all the Australian rep players from St George.
A packet of B & H 20's a schooner or two and the Sunday night movie or a show after a game at KJO that was living..
Not allowed to smoke or drink anymore and the club I have followed for so long fading quickly thank god the memory still works and I am still able to recall the great times we had all those years ago because it seems like the club itself and its board has alzheimer's.
I remember all that and much more the dinners meet and greets it's a real shame it has come to this. Here's a question do you reckon that the powers want the Dragons gone, Doust and co are running the club into the ground, it's plausible would be very easy to get rid of no money or support from any sector ?

Old Timer

Coach
I remember all that and much more the dinners meet and greets it's a real shame it has come to this. Here's a question do you reckon that the powers want the Dragons gone, Doust and co are running the club into the ground, it's plausible would be very easy to get rid of no money or support from any sector ?
I never subscribe to conspiracy theories but your thoughts have actually crossed my mind.
If the NRL actually had an agenda to get rid of us or relocate us (that makes sense because of the popularity of the universal brand and steadfast supporter base StGeorge is and has) then it needs a few yes men in the correct positions and then the NRL can give guidance and direction to them to get result / outcome they want.
In respect of relocating us they use the argument that current location saw a diminishing of the financial position and resultant lack of TPA's so to ensure the great clubs future we have moved it to ??????.
I would like to think better of the NRL than that but watching the hard handed outcomes that are dished out to us and the soft hands approach to other clubs it just makes me think something is not right.
My dear old dad always used to say that the 11 straight was great at the time but ultimately we would pay a heavy cost and we did with the introduction of the 4 tackle rule and we have paid a heavy cost ever since.

mbk78

Juniors
I never subscribe to conspiracy theories but your thoughts have actually crossed my mind.
If the NRL actually had an agenda to get rid of us or relocate us (that makes sense because of the popularity of the universal brand and steadfast supporter base StGeorge is and has) then it needs a few yes men in the correct positions and then the NRL can give guidance and direction to them to get result / outcome they want.
In respect of relocating us they use the argument that current location saw a diminishing of the financial position and resultant lack of TPA's so to ensure the great clubs future we have moved it to ??????.
I would like to think better of the NRL than that but watching the hard handed outcomes that are dished out to us and the soft hands approach to other clubs it just makes me think something is not right.
My dear old dad always used to say that the 11 straight was great at the time but ultimately we would pay a heavy cost and we did with the introduction of the 4 tackle rule and we have paid a heavy cost ever since.
That last comment of yours (or, more preciely, your dad's) is a great insight into what how the NRL view us now versus our legancy.
On a somewhat related issue, a very close relative of mind recently advised our "El Supremo" of his decision to resign from a long standing juniors' senior management role. My relative's comment was that as a volunteer he had read somewhere that volunteers had a shelf life of 3-4 years before they should step aside (in the interests of allowing fresh talent to come in). Our distinguished one replied that whilst he understood my relative's decision , he also felt there was a case for sticking with experience and the known. I got the impression that PD was trying to justify HIS ongoing position rather than trying to convince my relative to stay on in his own role. Very telling really...Bottom line, PD is going NO WHERE soon. My relative's view is that PD is a VERY good administrator. However that DOESN'T necessarily mean he's a very good leader or visionary though. Make of that what you will.

sco22

Juniors
Hey Old Timer it was a thought, observing what's going on you know the saying silence is golden! One of Frank Facer ideas with the media of the day was to keep the Saints in the spotlight over the last 4 months, it's all in the dark.
You do wonder where it's going to end

Old Timer

Coach
Hey Old Timer it was a thought, observing what's going on you know the saying silence is golden! One of Frank Facer ideas with the media of the day was to keep the Saints in the spotlight over the last 4 months, it's all in the dark.
You do wonder where it's going to end
You really have to wonder what the hell happened.
As a youngster being part of the 78,056, running onto the field at full time, slapping Sticks and Co on the back, shoving the autograph book and pen under their noses, getting back over the fence and watching the lap of honour with JJ Giltinan Shield.
What was wrong with all that FFS?
Now the game is full of prima donnas, money and corruption and what once belonged to the people in every club not just ST G has been taken away from them namely the heart and sole of the district.
To be perfectly honest the fan base has been dudded and we let it happen.
I'm going to get rid of Fox and listen to the ABC call on the radio and only attend games at KJO and be f**ked if I will call it by any other name.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Hey Old Timer - couldn't agree more, it will always be Kogarah Jubilee Oval to me as well - remember jumping over the fence for the corner post rumbles. Players used to eat at this café on Princes Highway at Rockdale called the Rex and the autograph book was out down there after every game - Johnny King, Smithy, Chang et al. The old girl wouldn't cook dinner if Saints lost, that's how fanatical our family were/are still am

sco22

Juniors
To Old Timer and Banjo it will always be Kogarah or Jubilee pretty simple. You can't miss the big red v

Bench
Great memories of many games there watching all three games on a Sunday a afternoon on the hill, those were the days my friends, gone forever

Jubileeboy

First Grade
The NRL would not allow the South Coast to be free of an NRL team.
Kogarah, on the other hand, is on borrowed time IMO.

Old Timer

Coach
The NRL would not allow the South Coast to be free of an NRL team.
Kogarah, on the other hand, is on borrowed time IMO.
Alas I think you are 100% correct.
Interesting that Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland get to have just 1 team and a free license with no opposition to garner all the TPA's etc (sounds a bit like the GST arguments from the the state Premiers).
Then the 2 biggest places in NSW out side of Sydney namely Newcastle and the Illawarra are basket cases and we have to support one of them.
The smell of other agendas is strong in the air around KJO.

Alas I think you are 100% correct.
Interesting that Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland get to have just 1 team and a free license with no opposition to garner all the TPA's etc (sounds a bit like the GST arguments from the the state Premiers).
Then the 2 biggest places in NSW out side of Sydney namely Newcastle and the Illawarra are basket cases and we have to support one of them.
The smell of other agendas is strong in the air around KJO.

The NRL has expressed on many occasions that expansion will not happen until all current NRL teams a viable. But beware what 'expansion' means to them.

With 3 teams now on the 'NRL teat'.. It is apparent the Titans have been given a 'saloon passage' and are progressing well enough . This leaves us and Newcastle. Newcastle is imperative and will be 'looked after', they are on the '5 year plan'.

And that leaves us..

"Expansion doesn't just have to be whether we have 17 or 18 NRL teams, I think it can be a more rationalised view of the region and how we make the base of our game and the pathways much stronger..."- Dave Smith

This narrative suggests a rationalizing of regions.. With the most obvious being Sydney.

And here is the crux.. It has already been mooted.. A greater southern Sydney team.. Encompassing Dragons / Sharks / South Coast... And as unpalatable as what this is to supporters, it could become your reality.

I do think there is an agenda here, I don't think the Dragons management are directly complicit at this stage.

But by ineffective leadership and incompetence and possibly being 'hamstrung' by the NRL themselves. They will put themselves in a position whereby the NRL will act to protect the 'games interests'.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the NRL use the 'monetary' situation as a catalyst to put some form of 'administration' into the Club.. And from there.. Our destiny isn't in our hands.

As I said on Saturday, a leagues team appears to be irrelevant to the patrons of the 'Taj'..

'Once you wake up and smell the coffee it's hard to go back to sleep'

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oesnt-involve-more-teams-20151012-gk700a.html

Latest posts