What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

denis preston

First Grade
At Last someone is raising the issue and this bloke has played under him . Good on you Sowie

But it is the early season re-signing of coach Paul McGregor that has left Soward scratching his head - in six years at the club he has only made the finals twice and the side is underperforming in 2019 after a solid campaign last year.

"You are wondering why some of these coaches are re-signed, it amazes me considering that none of them were being chased and it's not a personal attack but what do you look for, what do fans want and what is a pass mark for St George this year," he said.

"Canterbury are last and have re-signed their coach to an extension; Brisbane are 14th have Seibold with five years; St George re-signed Paul McGregor and they aren't in the top 8 either.

"I've had Mary as coach, and the issue I have is do you get the best person for the job or do you get a clubman."

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons legend Jamie Soward launches scathing attack on former club

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
LEAGUE
ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Former St George Illawarra playmaker and premiership winner Jamie Soward has launched a scathing attack at his former club, saying they won't make the finals this season and questioned the decision to re-sign Paul McGregor.

Soward played 141 games in the Red V and led them to a Grand Final victory over the Roosters in 2010, and has always been an outspoken figure within the game even during his playing days.

And on Friday morning he pulled no punches when talking on Macquarie Sports Radio about his former club after their 16-14 loss to the Storm on Thursday night in Wollongong.

"They're gone, St George are gone," he said.

"In past years they have started fast and then faded out, I don't see how they come back from an Origin campaign and put the accelerator down.

"They are two points outside the eight but their for and against stinks, they will rue that opportunity last night, they should have won that game.

"They had a lot of outs but nobody has an excuse this year when you look at Manly and the way they have competed this year with so many players out."

There is still time for the Dragons to turn it around and were without a plethora of stars last night due to Origin duty, and are still missing the likes of Gareth Widdop, Jack De Belin and Zac Lomax.

MORE: Souths sign former premiership winner | Queensland coach gives son debut jersey

But it is the early season re-signing of coach Paul McGregor that has left Soward scratching his head - in six years at the club he has only made the finals twice and the side is underperforming in 2019 after a solid campaign last year.

"You are wondering why some of these coaches are re-signed, it amazes me considering that none of them were being chased and it's not a personal attack but what do you look for, what do fans want and what is a pass mark for St George this year," he said.

"Canterbury are last and have re-signed their coach to an extension; Brisbane are 14th have Seibold with five years; St George re-signed Paul McGregor and they aren't in the top 8 either.

"I've had Mary as coach, and the issue I have is do you get the best person for the job or do you get a clubman."

The Dragons are currently two points outside the top eight, but in the remaining nine games have to play six teams currently above them on the ladder and are at long odds to book a spot in the finals after being touted as top four hopes before the season began.

I may get shot down for saying this but I would love someone to buy the club and play out of Kogarah and go back to just being St George Dragons.
We need to reinvent our culture and pride.

That ship has sailed a long time ago.

Let's support our club and cheer them on.

This has been a tough season for the coaching staff, players and supporters.

Anything that could have gone wrong has actually gone wrong.

Maybe the bus Lats drives to Wollongong ran over a black cat, who knows.

At Last someone is raising the issue and this bloke has played under him . Good on you Sowie

My tweet to Soward a couple weeks back :)

Sent out the same thing to quite a few journos/league identities with no replies except Steve Mascord, who said he likes Mary but otherwise doesn't care about Mary's results or whether the board made an error.

Screenshot_20190706-072156_Twitter.jpg

Crush

Coach
Mary before each game
"We are confident we can win this"
Mary after each loss
"We had a number of players out but I'm excited that we took some wins out of this loss"

I just wish he would say before each game "we don't expect to win this game but will be hopeful that we can take something out of the loss"

Warabrook saint

Juniors
That ship has sailed a long time ago.

Let's support our club and cheer them on.

This has been a tough season for the coaching staff, players and supporters.

Anything that could have gone wrong has actually gone wrong.

Maybe the bus Lats drives to Wollongong ran over a black cat, who knows.
For better or worse that's all that's left

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Mary before each game
"We are confident we can win this"
Mary after each loss
"We had a number of players out but I'm excited that we took some wins out of this loss"

I just wish he would say before each game "we don't expect to win this game but will be hopeful that we can take something out of the loss"
Well pointed out....the fans are being clowend around.......but hey the rest of the garbage is happy

Just spoke on ABC Grandstand.

The boys pretty much agreed that Mary's record isn't flash. Michael Carayannis made two points that trouble him:

1. Lack of junior development
2. Early extension of Mary's contract.

They also noted that many fans a blowing up on forums.

Hopefully this issue gets some legs in the media.

Straight Shooter

getsmarty

Immortal
My tweet to Soward a couple weeks back :)

Sent out the same thing to quite a few journos/league identities with no replies except Steve Mascord, who said he likes Mary but otherwise doesn't care about Mary's results or whether the board made an error.

View attachment 31150

Mascord's reply doesn't surprise me....Did you try Andrew Webster ?......Surely he can see things for what they are and being a Dragons fan may take up the Banner....

BLM01

First Grade

The boys pretty much agreed that Mary's record isn't flash. Michael Carayannis made two points that trouble him:

Straight Shooter
Heard you loud and clear
Yep the excuse focus about injuries towards the end of last year and this year still irks me
Least they acknowledge that depth and 1 finals win is not good enough...but last year saved him the way the team finished in the finals.
What needs to be pointed out is his record in the 2nd half of seasons and games and who he has beaten this year and how we have played.... looked at more closely.
Our crispness in attack has never been high in the opposition half which tells me they are not focussing and practising enough of that part of the game.........except for individual brilliance gets them through.

Heard you loud and clear
Yep the excuse focus about injuries towards the end of last year and this year still irks me
Least they acknowledge that depth and 1 finals win is not good enough...but last year saved him the way the team finished in the finals.
What needs to be pointed out is his record in the 2nd half of seasons and games and who he has beaten this year and how we have played.... looked at more closely.
Our crispness in attack has never been high in the opposition half which tells me they are not focussing and practising enough of that part of the game.........except for individual brilliance gets them through.

Injury excuse irks me too mate. We're not asking to be top the ladder in such circumstances but we should be performing better. There are still 4 or 5 SOO standard players in the team ffs. Plus his record over many years is substandard, the yearly fade outs, rudimentary game plans, woeful bench rotation, lack of junior development, the list goes on.

Straight Shooter

Dragons 09

Juniors

Straight Shooter

Good on you mate. We all take the piss put of each other in here at times and you have copped your fair share, but you have always stayed true to your beliefs and unlike the vast majority of us (me included) who just rant about in here where no one with any influence is listening, you have made the effort to take it main stream. For that I salute you sir, RESPECT!

BLM01

First Grade
Injury excuse irks me too mate. We're not asking to be top the ladder in such circumstances but we should be performing better. There are still 4 or 5 SOO standard players in the team ffs. Plus his record over many years is substandard, the yearly fade outs, rudimentary game plans, woeful bench rotation, lack of junior development, the list goes on.

Straight Shooter
Agree in all but take SOO case in point.
Based on form for NSW...the top sides how do Melb, roosters, souths, manly, newc, penrith only have 2 (Cleary was picked originally in lieu of Pearce) in it, parra, canb, nulla 1.......we would of been 3 except for Tariq