What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

thebigredv

First Grade
If McGregor is still coach I am 100% gone. I will find another sport.

I like the sport of rugby league but I am not one who thinks it is the most beautiful sport I have ever seen. Hear me out... I grew up with a passion for this game like none other because of the club rivalry and the absolute adoration I had for St George, the Dragons, the big red v. As a kid I knew every player from every team. I felt the thrill of every try we scored and the pain of every loss we had.

An absolute mockery has been made of our club. It's not about just losing. This thread started at the beginning of July, half way through a match we couldn't possibly lose, after a string of already embarrassing performances. Things only got worse after the Manly game and yet McGregor was allowed, uninterrupted, to keep dishing up heartless, brainless, careless coaching displays on the back of 4 already painful years for our club. No one stepped in to save us, and we were sold absolute garbage in pressers and propaganda.

People say "don't worry, he's gone". I can barely stand another day of this embarrassment of being an effectively coachless team. He better be gone or I am, and I suspect it will be enough for others too.

since77

Juniors
If McGregor is still coach I am 100% gone. I will find another sport

People say "don't worry, he's gone". I can barely stand another day of this embarrassment of being an effectively coachless team. He better be gone or I am, and I suspect it will be enough for others too.

I won't be gone as a supporter, but I will not spend a cent on membership, merchandise, game attendance until he's gone.
At he back end of 2016, particularly after the Manly game, I was also quite happy to do something else if the Dragons were playing - I just had no interest in watching the most woefully inept football side to ever wear a Dragons jersey. What a sad indictment on the club and those running it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Saints let go of Steve Morris that was it for me. I was soooo dirty. Lasted probably 1 month. If you love the club cutting ties won't last. We just need to ride out this tough period and hopefully something good will come soon.

merahputih

Juniors
When Saints let go of Steve Morris that was it for me. I was soooo dirty. Lasted probably 1 month. If you love the club cutting ties won't last. We just need to ride out this tough period and hopefully something good will come soon.
Geez you hold a grudge for a long time: Slippery left us in 1987 for the Roosters.

Revisiting and old note... Can we afford not to get rid of McGregor... What's the cost?

Damian Keogh (Sharks Chairman) said today that in relation to your clubs budgets ..

Making the GF is worth about $2m over budget for the Club, be it merchandising, ticketing, memberships, advertising and so .

The unquantifiable benefit is the young fans.. Who will be fans for life and will continue to spend for the rest of their lives.

And finishing near the bottom of the ladder, well that costs you about $2m from your budget.. Being lost merchandising, advertising, membership and so.

The quantifiable fact.. Is the young fans (if given the choice) will not follow losing teams.. They want to cheer their heroes and support winners.

So the effect on the clubs budget between making the GF and being an also ran is a $4m turnaround... As well as vandalizing your future lifeblood.. The future generations.

Once again.. Can we afford not to get rid of this peanut and his gallery...the very ones who have accepted mediocrity and crippled our future in a few short years.

'Leadership is the capacity to turn vision into reality'..

We either have no leadership or no vision .. Sadly, it's more than likely both.

Anyway Paul, LAST DRINKS... Your wait is over.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Sack this faaaarkn gronk just sack the flop already seriously SACK PAUL MARY ILLAWARRA STEELERS MCGREGOR....ahhh you gotta love the illawarra best thing that happen to saints how fortunate are st.george to have a prestigious club want to partner up with us mind you such a successful business venture.. lets not forget the "taj mahal" come down to st.george leagues clubs and enjoy the facilities including 10 poker machines to pick from fine dining bistro that'll have you coming back for more ..2 snooker tables in the basement and 1 ping pong table also there is an outdoor smoko area for your leisure sit back have a crownie or two..the old and dried up staff are there to accommodate for you great place to take nan and pop it'll take them back 60 years or probably even more..

That's how many minutes from now until 10am next Tuesday morning when hopefully their is a press release indicating "McGregor sacked by Saints".
Cutters win Grand Final against Bears.
Public Holiday Monday.
McGregor gooonnnneeeee Tuesday.
Red Carpet rolled out to welcome Ivan Cleary Wednesday 10am.
Membership renewal 10:30am Wednesday.
Early finish at work around 10:45am to go home and get sh!tfaced with excitement.

since77

Juniors
I'm finding it intriguing that the last few updates on the Dragons website on recruiting all feature Millward - and he has gone out of his way to deliberately use phrases like "coaching staff" instead of using McGregor's name. Mary hasn't been seen since end of season - not even for a 30 second sound bite.
I think he's gone but hasn't been told yet, and the board are going to appoint JD.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Geez you hold a grudge for a long time: Slippery left us in 1987 for the Roosters.

Long time? I was not a Dragons fan for 1 month in 1987 then came back to the Dragons. Could not handle not going for the red V. Is 1 month long.

Tough Period is defined as the following :- When your club has a head cooach by the name of Steve Price or Paul McGreggor. That is a tough period.

I suppose it could be worse we could be going for a club of salary cap or drug cheats.........Hang on a second, your guarantee a GF in 2 years if you do that so I suppose having Prica and Mary is worse as the pain lasts longer. You get more support to REBUILD the clubs reputation if you do anything to tarnish the club and reputation of the NRL.

SaintHarry

Juniors
So lets give all the boys peptides and rip the cap then the nrl will smack us on the bottom by sacking the ceo and coach then support us by getting back on our on two feet and before you know it we'll win the comp what a top idea.

denis preston

First Grade
Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work on 2017

The St George Illawarra Dragons want Red V Members, Partners and supporters to know they are listening, and acknowledge and accept the criticisms surrounding the NRL Team Performance in 2016.

Finishing 11th in the NRL competition was unacceptable.

Independent interviews with Football Staff and senior players have been conducted over recent weeks along with detailed analysis of all aspects of the 2016 season and football programs, to identify areas for improvement for 2017.

A 'Rugby League Performance Committee' has now been established to oversee, in particular, the development and management of the 2017 Football Department’s programs and systems.

The Committee is made up of four independent experts, listed as follows, with their most relevant experience:

Mark Coyne: Queensland State of Origin Assistant Coach, Chief Executive of EML and former Club Captain.

Dr Craig Duncan: Applied Sports Scientist Consultant - clients present or past include Football Federation Australia, NSWRL, Crystal Palace FC (EPL), Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL), UAE Rugby Union and New England Revolution (MLS).

Clare Prideaux: New South Wales Institute of Sport High Performance Director - managing coaches, performance staff and athletes across 15 sports; Hockey Australia Board Member.

Dirk Melton: Coaching and Performance Consultant - ongoing relationships include the Australian Rugby Union, Super Rugby Franchises, and a number of Olympic Sports.

This group will update and involve nominated Board Members Brian Johnston, Graeme Gulloch and Peter Doust, as and where necessary.

The areas of focus for the 'Rugby League Performance Committee' include athlete development, training structures, coaching development, performance science and data analytics, systems management and integration, recruitment processes and leadership.

Noting a number of factors that contributed to the team’s performance and results in 2016, the Board of Directors believe Paul McGregor has a positive future as an NRL Coach and is the Dragons Head Coach, in 2017.

“There is no hiding from the NRL result, and post our disappointing season, the Board wanted to ensure all aspects of the 2016 programs were considered and specific plans for improvement in 2017 developed, implemented and regularly evaluated,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

“The Coaching and Athletic Performance expertise on our 'Rugby League Performance Committee' is first class.

"They bring a wealth of knowledge and experience from a variety of backgrounds, and success, in elite sport.

“Best practice and programs that deliver sustained long-term success for the Club in all areas and across our entire rugby league pathway is the focus.”

In acknowledging the NRL disappointment, it is also important to recognise the positive performances and results of our NSW Cup squad, NYC squad and Illawarra Steelers SG Ball U18 team in 2016.

“Winning the NSW Cup competition was a fantastic achievement for all the staff and players involved throughout the year," said Doust.

“Our NYC squad reached the Grand Final qualifier providing 42 players with an opportunity at that level and our Steelers SG Ball team reached the Grand Final, highlighting and showcasing the talent we have developing within our Club.”

Head Coach Paul McGregor acknowledges the NRL disappointments of 2016 and with all interviews and reviews now complete, has already begun work on implementing changes and improvements to the 2017 program.

“Our results in 2016 were not acceptable and no one within the Club is happy or comfortable with our results and inconsistent performances this year,” said McGregor.

“All systems within the Football Department and aspects of the 2016 Program have been reviewed, areas for improvement have been identified, and I’m encouraged about the prospect of input and support from the ‘Rugby League Performance Committee’.

“Whilst our staff and playing roster is yet to be finalised for 2017, work has began and I will be doing everything possible to ensure that our NRL Team is successful.

"Everyone at the Club understands and accepts how important our team's performance is to all.

“We will have some changes in our roster for 2017, especially in some key positions and our squad is not yet finalised.

“We also have some outstanding young talent at our Club who will be given the opportunity to train with the full-time squad in the pre-season and therefore put their hand up for NRL selection in 2017.”

The Dragons 2017 Squad (excluding representative players) will return to training in early November.

When planning and all Staff positions for 2017 are confirmed, the Club will provide further detail.

Latest posts