What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Bench
I think some of our elite posters in here could do a better job then Doust and his cronies and in particular Mary.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It's sad as you look at our squad and you have faith that they can actually go well next year. Then you look at the coach and think, $hit, geez we are gonna have a shit year.

The most important part of the team is the coach and he is a dud. I would rather go into 2017 having a super coach and a team on nuffies as he can probably make them into a solid side ala Neil Henry. You have some hope. Whereas the other way around where you have a solid squad and a dud coach you really have no hope as you know he will make them lower their standards and produce rubbish footy like he did in 2016.

Qdf

Juniors
It's sad as you look at our squad and you have faith that they can actually go well next year. Then you look at the coach and think, $hit, geez we are gonna have a shit year.

The most important part of the team is the coach and he is a dud. I would rather go into 2017 having a super coach and a team on nuffies as he can probably make them into a solid side ala Neil Henry. You have some hope. Whereas the other way around where you have a solid squad and a dud coach you really have no hope as you know he will make them lower their standards and produce rubbish footy like he did in 2016.
Well slippery, from what I'm hearing, the committee will be keeping a strong hold on the coach.
Then 2018 nomore Mary.

getsmarty

Immortal
Well slippery, from what I'm hearing, the committee will be keeping a strong hold on the coach.
Then 2018 nomore Mary.

Hope your right re 2018...means 2017 is a lost year. Hopefully it will be made common knowledge to player managers that Mary is gone, otherwise we will attract no new players of high quality.

Qdf

Juniors
Hope your right re 2018...means 2017 is a lost year. Hopefully it will be made common knowledge to player managers that Mary is gone, otherwise we will attract no new players of high quality.
Don't worry Des will attract the players.

Bench
I will tell you some hot news Mary has six weeks or his gone in 2017 his replacement will be Ian Millard for the rest of the season till Des comes in 2018 keep this post ok it's a true story

Trust me it's happening:dragon::dragon:. There's a big mouth in the club leaking things out.. ............

Above is a post on facebook, first time I have heard that one

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I will tell you some hot news Mary has six weeks or his gone in 2017 his replacement will be Ian Millard for the rest of the season till Des comes in 2018 keep this post ok it's a true story

Trust me it's happening:dragon::dragon:. There's a big mouth in the club leaking things out.. ............

Above is a post on facebook, first time I have heard that one

Saw this. I'm always so apprehensive about these "heard it from a bloke on the corner" posts. Don't really know what to make of it. Double edged sword either way... We lose a games in the first 6 weeks, McGregor goes.. sure.. But we've had a shit start to the season.
We win the majority of our first 6 games, that's a great start... But McGregor stays. We're kinda f**ked either way.

Coffs dragon

Bench
This Hasler rumour for 2018.....what happens if the Dogs win the 2017 premiership, would he still come to our run down organisation? Too many ifs in this story and most probably we would end up with Millward by default.

It's unfathomable that the club would retain Mary for 2017 with an eye to sacking him if he doesn't perform in the first 6 or so weeks and with a view of replacing him regardless in 2018. What sort of planning is that?!! How can the club merely throw the year away? It doesn't make sense. And it can't be about money!

Straight Shooter

getsmarty

Immortal
It's unfathomable that the club would retain Mary for 2017 with an eye to sacking him if he doesn't perform in the first 6 or so weeks and with a view of replacing him regardless in 2018. What sort of planning is that?!! How can the club merely throw the year away? It doesn't make sense. And it can't be about money!

Straight Shooter

Yep...sounds like its about certain Board members unwilling to acknowledge their own poor judgement in appointing McGregor in the 1st place and therefore digging in their heels in the hope that the masses just move on.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade

Straight Shooter

It's just a shambles. How far we've fallen.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Straight Shooter

It was unfathomable to retain McGregor for 2017 in the first place, however, we aren't privy to his contract and clauses within.
However, it appears that the "6 weeks" thing is their only get out. McGregor would have bitched about everything from recruitment, players, other coaches and the draw and this may have been a catalyst for an unfair dismissal case.......hence can't afford it! Giving him "6 weeks" with a fresh squad, different lower grade coaches, good recruitment, new support staff and favourable draw would be enough ammunition to push the button without reprisal.

The other issue I saw raised was why didn't we try hard to keep JD. Well if the rumour of Hasler is true and he will be signed for 2018, then there was no reason for JD to stick around. Even if McGregor is sacked early in 2017, being handed the reigns for 1 yr would hardly give you enough time to make your mark and then get dumped back to reggies or have no job at all. Going to the Bronc's was a logical and safe choice as he will "probably" take over from Bennett sooner than later IMO as permanent HC.
That's why, if McGregor is sacked it's a safer option for the Dragons to appoint Millward for the remaining part of the season, as he would slip back to recruiting when (and if) Hasler comes in 2018. Further, if Millward is appointed as caretaker HC, I think the team will be run by Hornby IMO.

It was unfathomable to retain McGregor for 2017 in the first place, however, we aren't privy to his contract and clauses within.
However, it appears that the "6 weeks" thing is their only get out. McGregor would have bitched about everything from recruitment, players, other coaches and the draw and this may have been a catalyst for an unfair dismissal case.......hence can't afford it! Giving him "6 weeks" with a fresh squad, different lower grade coaches, good recruitment, new support staff and favourable draw would be enough ammunition to push the button without reprisal.

The other issue I saw raised was why didn't we try hard to keep JD. Well if the rumour of Hasler is true and he will be signed for 2018, then there was no reason for JD to stick around. Even if McGregor is sacked early in 2017, being handed the reigns for 1 yr would hardly give you enough time to make your mark and then get dumped back to reggies or have no job at all. Going to the Bronc's was a logical and safe choice as he will "probably" take over from Bennett sooner than later IMO as permanent HC.
That's why, if McGregor is sacked it's a safer option for the Dragons to appoint Millward for the remaining part of the season, as he would slip back to recruiting when (and if) Hasler comes in 2018. Further, if Millward is appointed as caretaker HC, I think the team will be run by Hornby IMO.

I agree Dragonslayer.

Something I believe has already happened for 2018 (Hasler) and that's why JD left.

If we had nothing in concrete for 2018 surely JD would have stuck around full well knowing that he would be the Coach come April next year which then could have led into the permanent gig.

Latest posts