What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Nathan Brown

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Kind of bullshit stats though, clearly those guys could all coach but came up against better teams when they made grand finals . Brown is the outlier, had decent cattle at the Dragons but wasn’t up to it… did well in the UK, and with poor teams in the NRL hasn’t been up to it. Guys that coach that many games tend to have very good records, but I could as how many games since Bennett’s last premiership?

I might be in the minority in thinking Smith was a great coach, losing grand finals to great teams or great performances doesn’t change that for me.

Cleary has a real chance to win one soon, doesn’t want to waste it

With you on Smith, generally got every team he was involved with up the pointy end of the ladder.

Ran into a hot Broncos side, Manly mid 90s weren’t far behind them, 2001 the one that really got away but bear in mind A Johns was imo the greatest we have seen and guys like Kennedy weren’t bad either, and that Roosters 2010 lineup was punching well above its weight to play saints

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
With you on Smith, generally got every team he was involved with up the pointy end of the ladder.

Ran into a hot Broncos side, Manly mid 90s weren’t far behind them, 2001 the one that really got away but bear in mind A Johns was imo the greatest we have seen and guys like Kennedy weren’t bad either, and that Roosters 2010 lineup was punching well above its weight to play saints
Cleary has coached two teams as far as the GF so far too (and actually coached them there, not got handed them ready to go) so he’s shaping similarly- and I don’t think there was much shame in losing either 2011 or 2020 to Manly or the Storm.

How long till this thread gets some traction again?

Buzz on NRL360 (Before Kent hijacked it back to talking Tigers/Maguire issues)
26% win record in last 6 years
Last 5 years: 2 wooden spoons, two 11th's and 12th with us last year.
2 premiership winning coaches sitting out there with no NRL coaching job: Flannagan and Green.
Maguire could be added to that list soon as well.

Can only support it if there is a decent coach, not sure if anyone will come.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Unfortunately, I think it's beyond a coaching issue now. Yes, Brown probably isn't up to it. But our structures, the pathways, the fact people don't want to come to Auckland, the loss of Gould/O'Sullivan etc, just so much is not in our favour.

I'd take Maguire but I wouldn't expect anyone but the top pantheon of coaches ie Bellamy, Bennett to make any difference

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
NRL360 just before the season started, they had Toovey on. Panel was asked who would have the most losses this year, and while he didn’t name them as outright spooners, he said the Warriors will have a very disappointing year with how they have set themselves up. I immediately dismissed it as I think the quality in some areas will win them some games, but there are a lot of deficiencies that pop up year after year. Would he fix them ? Probably not, that side he coached at Manly was an unbelievably talented side, but a guy with his style of approach would be very interesting, albeit I would be concerned for the little blokes health and would have an ambulance on standby

not throwing this name up as a coach, but gee the talent coming through has dried up since Ackland was shafted by the Warriors, the 20s comp certainly helped, but guys seemed to arrive more ready when he was talent spotting and bringing them through

Still a very tough situation with having to play all games in Aussie, but player wise, it really shouldn’t be having the huge effect now, as the majority of the Warriors top 17 are Aussies or have spent a lot of time over there before joining the Warriors. Walsh, AFB, Lodge, Aitken, Montoya etc haven’t set foot in NZ wearing Warriors kit

Tongue

Juniors
Brown needs to win the next 3. After that its Roosters and Storm.
If we win the next 3, and lets be honest, we lose to Roosters and Storm, we will be 3-4 after 7 rounds.
Thats mediocre at best given our draw.
If its any worse than that, I cant imagine theyll keep him on.
I cant see why we wont be 1-6 after 7 rounds.
Brisbane a different team and Cowboys running ok.
Round 3 this week is a must win.

Matua

Bench
Still a very tough situation with having to play all games in Aussie, but player wise, it really shouldn’t be having the huge effect now, as the majority of the Warriors top 17 are Aussies or have spent a lot of time over there before joining the Warriors. Walsh, AFB, Lodge, Aitken, Montoya etc haven’t set foot in NZ wearing Warriors kit
The Warriors are nothing more than an Australian franchise now. Not sure what the owners think they're doing. I'd rather that grifter Robson back, or Watson, as at least in their day the team was a genuine NZ team. They may as well just sign a contract with a city in Oz and be done with it.

At least the "team needs Aussie players to win" mantra has been exposed as a myth.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Warriors are nothing more than an Australian franchise now. Not sure what the owners think they're doing. I'd rather that grifter Robson back, or Watson, as at least in their day the team was a genuine NZ team. They may as well just sign a contract with a city in Oz and be done with it.

At least the "team needs Aussie players to win" mantra has been exposed as a myth.
They’ve had no choice since Covid hit, they’ve done what they had to to keep a team in the comp. I’ll criticise them over a lot but not that. Frankly just surviving and playing through the pandemic has been an achievement, let’s not forget that. Of course the reality might be that it’s damaged the club irreparably but we’ll have to wait til they’re actually back at Mt Smart for a while to know that.

JJ

Immortal
it's pretty depressing, you think things are on the up with Gould and O'Sullivan around... nek minut

The pantheon of Warriors coaches is quite the hall of shame... Only Anderson and Clearly really much good, Monie had a good record with two of the greatest club sides that ever existed so he's hard to asses - the rest are shit, and shittier, quite simply some of the most terrible coaches to have ever got a gig in the NRL

Matua

Bench
They’ve had no choice since Covid hit, they’ve done what they had to to keep a team in the comp. I’ll criticise them over a lot but not that. Frankly just surviving and playing through the pandemic has been an achievement, let’s not forget that. Of course the reality might be that it’s damaged the club irreparably but we’ll have to wait til they’re actually back at Mt Smart for a while to know that.
You're more forgiving than I am, I don't think the Aussiefying of the team can be solely attributed to Covid, in fact barely partially, it's clearly been a choice. Look at the dropkick brigade alone (Lodge, AFB, Walker), none of them are due to Covid. There's a couple of players who played their way to contracts due to Covid (e.g. Curran, and I don't have an issue with those guys) but by and large the make up of this team is by choice.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
it's pretty depressing, you think things are on the up with Gould and O'Sullivan around... nek minut

The pantheon of Warriors coaches is quite the hall of shame... Only Anderson and Clearly really much good, Monie had a good record with two of the greatest club sides that ever existed so he's hard to asses - the rest are shit, and shittier, quite simply some of the most terrible coaches to have ever got a gig in the NRL
Go easy on my man, Happy Frank

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You're more forgiving than I am, I don't think the Aussiefying of the team can be solely attributed to Covid, in fact barely partially, it's clearly been a choice. Look at the dropkick brigade alone (Lodge, AFB, Walker), none of them are due to Covid. There's a couple of players who played their way to contracts due to Covid (e.g. Curran, and I don't have an issue with those guys) but by and large the make up of this team is by choice.
Look I’m not really defending the specific signings, just the fact that they’ve been Australian based. There really hasn’t been much opportunity to bring NZ based talent through due to the restrictions.

Izz

Bench
I'd take Maguire but I wouldn't expect anyone but the top pantheon of coaches ie Bellamy, Bennett to make any difference
Dunno about Maguire. He's been pretty dismal at Tigers.

Might be inclined to give Flanno a go, though the thought does make me grimace

Matua

Bench
Mohawk picked Brown, so he stays till Mowhawk admits he was wrong.
Who is Mohawk to us not in the know cool kids?

Look I’m not really defending the specific signings, just the fact that they’ve been Australian based. There really hasn’t been much opportunity to bring NZ based talent through due to the restrictions.
I just don't believe this has had as much of an impact on signings as you do. Leaving out RTS since the start of the pandemic the Warriors have let go an almost entire set of starting outside backs who were NZers. The restrictions did not stop NZers coming over in 2021 to play for feeder teams and the Warriors had a partnership with the Dolphins. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as I believe this is by design, not by Covid.

I also need to make an correction from previous post, I thought Curran was a Covid arrival but he came in 2019.

Rich102

Staff member
Who is Mohawk to us not in the know cool kids?

I just don't believe this has had as much of an impact on signings as you do. Leaving out RTS since the start of the pandemic the Warriors have let go an almost entire set of starting outside backs who were NZers. The restrictions did not stop NZers coming over in 2021 to play for feeder teams and the Warriors had a partnership with the Dolphins. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as I believe this is by design, not by Covid.

I also need to make an correction from previous post, I thought Curran was a Covid arrival but he came in 2019.
AKA Mark Robinson,

The Rosco

Bench

I feel your pain mate.
As a WT supporter, all you have to do is cut and paste a few different names, and you could post that straight onto the WT page, and get 5 likes straight away.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors need a bit of a reboot tbh. Hopefully when they can get back to being an Auckland club they can have a good hard look at themselves and identify why, despite having a whole country of talent to pick from, they still cant put out a consistent playoff team and cant build a membership base and attendance that befits a club that represents 5 million people.

Latest posts