What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Nathan Brown

Blair

Coach
is it a coaching issue that SOS (on his own tryline) throws a pass 2 wide to RTS when the obvious play was a dummy half tunnelling run to make some headway and reduce the risk of being dragged behind the goal line. Coaches should be practicing that shit during the week. Forget the shemozzle before that. Forget Townsend cant count. Forget that Kosi should be playing soccer, not league. If we had got through our set of six, time would have run out and we would have escaped with a win. That play there cost us the game.
That sounds similar to Ken's pointless pass to Roger in the only Warriors final in living memory, vs Penrith in 2018. We lost our skipper to injury, and the season was effectively over right there.

Ken just needed to hit the ball up. That was his job.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
so what do you think the players do all week? It doesnt look to me like they do anything. Backline moves are non existant. The Pompey/Kosi side is a joke. There is absolutely nothing creating cracks in the opposition defence apart from individual brilliance. ie RTS and Walsh.
And Walsh is just a godsend for Brown that just fell into his lap by sheer dumb luck. We would be 3-12 if not for Walsh. And so it goes back to the coaching.
Bro, we’re all a bit annoyed at the situation but let’s go for a bit of context.
Kosi 4 games in, and has had 3 different centres playing inside of him.
What about the guy inside the centre, or the half inside of that guy… It’s changing almost on a weekly basis, what are you honestly expecting from a rookie in that situation?

Some of the best we’ve looked in years was the end 7 or so games of last year where we were able to field the same team for most of that time. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but there’s no way Brown is to blame for all of these shit situations were finding ourselves in lately

If Bellamy is available by all means sack Brown, otherwise stability is what we need and some God dam mental toughness, footy smarts and some luck with injuries.

nswarrior

Juniors
Bro, we’re all a bit annoyed at the situation but let’s go for a bit of context.
Kosi 4 games in, and has had 3 different centres playing inside of him.
What about the guy inside the centre, or the half inside of that guy… It’s changing almost on a weekly basis, what are you honestly expecting from a rookie in that situation?

Some of the best we’ve looked in years was the end 7 or so games of last year where we were able to field the same team for most of that time. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but there’s no way Brown is to blame for all of these shit situations were finding ourselves in lately
You are right, not the coaches fault yet.

The team needs more leadership.
The coach does have to work on closing games out.

if we are leading by 12 with less than 10 to go - keep playing football. A little conservative in tackles 1 to 3 is ok but don’t be shit scared.
The leaders have to step up.

so what do you think the players do all week? It doesnt look to me like they do anything. Backline moves are non existant. The Pompey/Kosi side is a joke. There is absolutely nothing creating cracks in the opposition defence apart from individual brilliance. ie RTS and Walsh.
And Walsh is just a godsend for Brown that just fell into his lap by sheer dumb luck. We would be 3-12 if not for Walsh. And so it goes back to the coaching.
I was thinking about this as agree little back movement or set plays.
I wonder if when new coaches show up they try to get the basics right, trying to build a good foundation eg defense and handling. The disruption with injuries and the foundation not set like a season coach eg Storm, Panthers (also lack of depth) it is harder to get the finesse right.
Only team currently in top 8 with a new coach is Dragons and they far from consistent.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
On Brown, my position is the same as it was with Kearney. How often are we going to do this? Employ a guy. Extend a contract. Break the contract and move him on. Expect a different result.

We signed him for 3 years. He has to coach here for 3 years. If he isn’t any good, we will know enough in 2023. He is inheriting such a mess that it’s really too much to expect that 2021 would be anything but a write off, even with Fonua Blake and Walsh on the park all year.

jaseg

Juniors
We're in this position because when actual good coaches were off contract (Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler etc) we were away signing/retaining the likes of Matt Elliott and Stephen Kearney.

Unless one of those type of guys is available I'm willing to give Brown at least 2 years, maybe all 3 depending on how it goes. TBH I've seen less overtly dumb and aggravating stuff from him than some of the previous coaches we've had (though early days yet, obviously).

jaseg

Juniors
Actually while I'm thinking along these lines, if we have to sign shitheads, can the next one be Shane Flanagan? Whenever he's allowed to be a head coach again, that is. Could be waiting until the end of Brown's contract...

TheDMC

Bench
Actually while I'm thinking along these lines, if we have to sign shitheads, can the next one be Shane Flanagan? Whenever he's allowed to be a head coach again, that is. Could be waiting until the end of Brown's contract...
He is a bloody good analyst on Fox.

Lats13

Juniors
As a regular watcher of the warriors I don't believe the coach is entirely to blame. Brown wasn't the one who tried a dumb offload which turned the tide of the game. (Fonua Blake) also Kane Evans tried a hail Mary offload going down in a tackle. I think warrior players are not held accountable enough as most of these miracle offloads may work one out of ten times the other nine times they give away field position and the ball. Good luck winning games with those odds.

sup42

Juniors
Brown is doing his job.

He was hired because no one else wanted it, including Brown who turned the gig down when offered it....after he came and spent time here as an observer.

The only realistic option on the table is Mad Geoff Toovey.

Otherwise if you sack Brown, you will get a New Zealand coach...Toovey or a Kiwi.

People seem to think that the Warriors wouldn't bite the hand off a good coach.

Gould is there, he would sack Brown tomorrow if he had any other realistic irons in the fire.

Anyway, Brown is that accountant that comes in and does a company audit while a struggling firm is restructuring and making cuts.

He was hired to sack people and to hire better staff.

POS does the wheeling and dealing, but Brown signs off on it, that is why under SK POS had limited impact.

We have just signed Matt Lodge for under 400K with the Broncos paying the difference on 800K (confirmed by Lodge himself).

We have retired the Prop wing system, swapped out Ken for the price of DWZ with the dogs picking up the tab.

We have signed SJ for the same figure he turned down at the Sharks.

We have signed Reece Walsh for 50K this season, 450 thereafter.

We have replaced Fus on field with Montoya who is a better player for money value...possibly the bargain of the year.

AFB was a great get. BMM was cheap as was Evans.

Brown is doing his job, to demolish the Warriors in the same fashion that he did so with Newy and rebuild the entire roster.

Things will improve, the pieces are being moved into place.

And when there is realistically a better coach Brown will take his severance and step aside.

Overall I am happy enough with where things are headed to ignore the shyte we are in right now.

I can see light finally at the end of the tunnel.

You can see what is going on here.

They have fixed the leaky edge defence with:

Aitken
Montoya
DWZ
Berry/Pompey

That is far superior to trying to cover up Ken and Fus no clue defensive twins.
Hiku gone, Centers are meant to be able to takle.

AFB
Lodge

Two serious big runners.

Curran
Egan
Tohu

Three middle forwards that can each make fifty tackles.

Defence defence defence.

Game is built on it.

SJ
Walsh

Attack sorted.

And speed....a lot more speed across the park.

Last edited:

Campion

Juniors
fairdinkim with the big wraps on Montoya. he isn't going to set the team on fire but he does a job at (i presume) a very decent price. big fan. always seems to be putting in effort (even if skills aren't super good).

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I wish I was in your part of the multiverse.

I'm near his universe. There's a lot of good business being done. Our situation location-wise, COVID wise is dire, yet we are making the right moves in the back office that might set us up well when things (hopefully) are back to normal.

Maybe in that mean time, Gould is scheming for a better coach. He's done the rest of it so far.

waipiro

Juniors
We're in this position because when actual good coaches were off contract (Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler etc) we were away signing/retaining the likes of Matt Elliott and Stephen Kearney.

Unless one of those type of guys is available I'm willing to give Brown at least 2 years, maybe all 3 depending on how it goes. TBH I've seen less overtly dumb and aggravating stuff from him than some of the previous coaches we've had (though early days yet, obviously).
I think the issue around the top tier coaches is the same as the elite marquee players. They just dont want to come to the Warriors no matter what the dollars are. We were and probably never will be a chance to sign Bellamy.

I agree let him run out his contract and have a legitimate shot at running the side. The each signing we are making is improving the roster so while its extremely frustrating at the moment we are building a squad that Brown will have every chance of being successful with if he has what it takes.

Leber

Bench
Look back at our history.
Is this new?
Has it happened to multiple coaches?
So now what is the underlying issue if those answers are yes?
This is sorta my take on it. This is nothing new. We have been this way for years and years and it doesn't seem to matter who the personal is.

I felt super shit after the loss on the weekend and even after a few days to let it mellow and reflect, I have to say it's actually really embarrassing to be a warriors fan.

After having a season ticket since 2007, its getting harder and harder to put up with stuff like that. If we 'knew' we were in for rough season (like the broncos and the doggies have had to endure) but would bounce back in a couple of years, It'd be tolerable. But what really gets me is the torment of thinking we have finally got it right, only to be let down let again.

-We had the whole kiwis spine, we missed the 8.
-Got new owners on board who promised that we would be the biggest sporting franchise, we missed the 8
-Go through loads of coaches, miss the 8
-Try signing kiwis, young aussies, journeymen, overpaid pommy fullbacks etc and the result is always the same.

Lodge, DWZ and Johnson are good signings and yet again, on paper, we should be set for a top 8 finish in 2022. But I feel we will be let down yet again and finish 10-12 while the minnows of this year rebuild.

It's very hard to support this team sometimes. I just wish we could win... for once.

vvvrulz

Coach
Patience lads, god knows we already have enough of it.

We're still just cobbling sides together and as Manu V often says in the game threads many have been close and with better co-ordination and game management we'd have got them. Disappointing sure, but this isn't those horror seasons of past where we lacked the fitness or motivation to get the job done - Brown has somewhat managed to sort that out at least.

We cut out the brain explosions and improve our dogshit 5th tackles and things will look up.