What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap Concessions for Storm

Routy21

Juniors
On the subject of the Salary Cap, what does everybody think of salary cap Concessions for the Melbourne Storm? I believe the Storm need help in that department. Reason beeing is that we have no juniors and why would any young Sydney or Brisbane based players wants to leave their home state for a team which will pay them the same amount of cash that there local team will pay. The NRL should follow the AFL with their Concessions for the northern states. Look at the crowds the Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans have now. The NRL need to pump some much needed cash into developing Rugby League in Melbourne! What is everyone’s opinion on this?

joshreading

Staff member
I agree, this is a Rugby League thing not a club thing, we NEED the Storm more help not just in the concession areas but others. Melbourne is important to the whole of Rugby League not just the Storm. The AFL all recognises that with Sydney and even Brisbane and they have reaped the rewards.

ibeme

First Grade
I agree. I think the Storm need to get a bigger grant than the rest of the clubs to compensate for this. Each player should have a flat relocation rate, that can go on the top of the salary without being included in the cap. I don't know if it's fair that this money should come out of the Storms pocket either.

Maybe the NRL should give them an increased grant varying on the amount of players relocated. Although, this doesn't encourage the storm to attempt developing local players, so their possibly should be a trade off. They need to be compensated for player relocation, but also encouraged to develop the game in Vic. Maybe the NRL could pay half of the relocation costs.

gaterooze

Bench
Fully agree. Melbourne is the only club without access to a local nursery. For the good of the game, it needs some help until it can foster its own juniors.

beerboy

Juniors
for one if i was a good footy player i wouldnt want to leave everyone and go to Melbourne
so i think they deserve concessions

sretsoor

Juniors
While your at it add Nth Qld. There's no incentive to go up there in the heat. It's not exactly enticing for any player to go there and thus they end up with retiring players most of the time.

Also, if you give Melbourne a concession then the Sydney clubs will want one as house prices are double compared to other areas. It will never end.

Currently the NRL is not interested in adjusting the cap.

ibeme

First Grade
sretsoor said:
While your at it add Nth Qld. There's no incentive to go up there in the heat. It's not exactly enticing for any player to go there and thus they end up with retiring players most of the time.

Also, if you give Melbourne a concession then the Sydney clubs will want one as house prices are double compared to other areas. It will never end.

North QLD have their own juniors. Melbourne have no option but to relocate players.

Routy21

Juniors
North QLD have loads of juniors and have lots of local players to choose from. Victoria is an AFL state and has no local League players to select. Have a look at what the AFL has done in NSW/QLD! They are pulling 30,000 plus crowds! Victoria is the sporting capital of Australia and need a strong league team. In 10 years time with the help from the NRL the storm will ave 20,0000 - 25,000! We just need some help!

sretsoor

Juniors
ibeme said:
sretsoor said:

North QLD have their own juniors. Melbourne have no option but to relocate players.

Whilst that is true, they only want to play for the Bronco's.

ibeme

First Grade
sretsoor said:
ibeme said:
sretsoor said:

Whilst that is true, they only want to play for the Bronco's.

That's because the Broncos have fostered a winning culture, and their coach has a God-like status in QLD. Things may start to turn now that the Broncos on-field success is waning, and the coach is no longer QLD origin coach. Time will tell

Routy21

Juniors
Impellitteri said:
”The only way for the Melbourne Storm to succeed is to get them the hell out of Melbourne”

Good thinking mate! I can see your a smart one! Where do you propose the storm go? Gold coast (failed) Central Coast (Failed) SA (Failed) WA (Failed)????? and what will happen to the 10,000 strong Melbourne Storm Supporter base????

Once Dead

Bench
Routy21 said:
Impellitteri said:
”The only way for the Melbourne Storm to succeed is to get them the hell out of Melbourne”

Good thinking mate! I can see your a smart one! Where do you propose the storm go? Gold coast (failed) Central Coast (Failed) SA (Failed) WA (Failed)????? and what will happen to the 10,000 strong Melbourne Storm Supporter base????

BY GEE, I think i got a bite ;)

The 10,000 strong Melbourne Storm supporter base will sit at home on game days like they always do

Hoggy

Bench
Moron ^

Oh and if we had concessions this year we would still have Marcus Bai playing for us.

Once Dead

Bench
Looks like we've got a fire on our hands here folks.......every team loses their players...so why should Melbourne get any favours.....they chose to base themselves there

t-ba

Post Whore
I fully agree.

But on the other hand, the Roosters live in an area where all they play is union and they have to ship talent all the way from Blacktown and Redcliffe...

Surely we need to think of Rugby league in thier 200,000 strong catchment area centred around Wavereley, Scots, Cranbrook and Sydney Grammar, and the possible loss of an ARU council over the loss of prescense in a few of a few Million?

Right?

(P.S-They Storm deserve and need concessions. And a better publicist than News Limited...)

Latest posts