What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess: Hands like two left feet

Prop Forward

Juniors
Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but geeze he can drop some ball can't he?

Every game I watched him during the NRL season I saw him spill at least 1 ball a game.

Then last week against the Maori he dropped it a few times...then yesterday against the Kiwis he spilled the ball.

Needs to work on his ball control IMO.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
When he plays for souths the ball he drops is proportional to the amount of work he does, a high workload will see more dropped ball. In the test against the kiwis he was quiet and wasted by the coach who is obviously one that believes that 2nd rowers are on rails, they're only allowed to go up and down one side of the field and not come in the middle for a run.

RWB

Bench
Yeh he doesn't have great hands, something I noticed pretty quickly... he seems to lose the ball a lot in tackles although the refs save him with their interpretation of a strip.

A small criticism of an awesome player though...

The 18th Man

Juniors
No player is perfect. A chink in the armour that he can definately improve on with work e.g. Manu Vatuvei and his horrors with the high ball a few seasons back, once a weakness, now not so much.

The 18th Man

Juniors
he drops a ball or two.. whoopi.

I don't think coaches dismiss it as easily. Yes it's a dropped ball or two, and yes he more than makes up for it, though a mistake or two in game can be differnce makers.

Unless of course your club knowingly over spends on the cap and you can rest easy in knowing you have an All-Star support cast to cover your error over the course of 80 minutes ;-)

Burgess doesn't have the luxury.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's all of 21 years old. He's brilliant overall, with a minor flaw that can be coached out. He's going to be a 10 year player. If you're a 21 year old forward and the biggest thing people can criticise you about is you drop the ball once or twice then you're doing very well.

rabbitohs

Juniors
A lot of his spills are offload attempts where the opportunity is not really there. Thankfully this is an experience issue that can be rectified.

The 18th Man

Juniors
A lot of his spills are offload attempts where the opportunity is not really there. Thankfully this is an experience issue that can be rectified.

True. I remember a young Jim Dymock had this issue early in his career. In recent times, Feleti Mateo has been guilty of as much when trying to force the issue. Jason Ryles too. With experience, this small knock on his game will improve and he will be an even better player. Scary.

Brimmer

Juniors
True. Poor hands.

I've watched him spill quite a fair few while attempting to score a try as well.

kbw

Bench
He was rubbish last night against NZ and hit gut was looking at big as Dave Taylors buttocks

Perth Red

Post Whore
he does like to off load which does make him a dangerous forward, but with that comes potential mistakes. I hope the NRL doesn;t turn him into a plodding forward like Petro who just runs at the line everytime with no hope of an off load.

smacky

Juniors

I think its because he believes he needs to do it all himself when the team is down so he trys to push an offload almost every run. But yes hes a great player and with experience he'll learn to pick the right times

Latest posts