What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

DiegoNT

First Grade
If there was no cap there'd be a scenario were the only team in the comp who regularly posts a profit, the Broncos, would simply spend all their money securing the Queensland origin team. Because they are so well run they'd be able to do that year in, year out. With broncos winning the comp pretty much every year you'd get a badly run team, let's use parramatta as an example, spend more then they can handle signing big money deals trying to keep up. Even with the cap in place parra have made some really dumb choice in the last few years (big money signings like Poore, lussick, Sandow, hopoate, watmough and despite him being a great player it seems as if they've overpaid on foran). Without a cap parra are very likely to run themselves into the ground with mis-managment.
So we'd have broncos winning most years, probably roosters and souths challenging evry other year,.clubs like parra and tigers running themselves into the ground, crowds would be way down on what they are now, tv viewers would drop dramatically, tv money would stop flowing into the game, so the flow down of money to lower levels woukd cease to exist, and the nrl would only run for about 10 years max before the whole thing collapsed. The salary cap not only brings balance to the playing talent (every team except the raiders have made the preliminary final in the last 10 years) but it also keeps balance of the comp in general.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
So you could be employed on a full time basis. And at the same time receive more money than your salary from a third party to perform the role with your employer.. seems legit.

These third party payments are complete shit. Never liked them and will never like them. How can we have cap if it is still possible to go out and provide far more to the players. Oh that's it...the club "cannot" offer these payments....lol yeah right.

Either it's the exact same for everyone or the difference between the clubs will be similar to the EPL.

Parra

Referee
And the 'exact the same for everyone' has never existed. Penalties and exemptions are applied arbitrarily. The cap is an unfair restriction on players - TPA's are not a valid answer - although they are an attempt to address the problem which obviously does exist due to the salary cap for the players. Notice that there is no cap for club execs or TV execs or anyone else involved.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
So the argument goes.

I'm not buying it.

Then its a good thing you aren't running the NRL into the ground.

The simple economics of supply and demand proves that no salary cap would wreck the comp.

The fact that you can't comprehend this is irrelevant.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The problem I have with the current cap is that it actually hurts the team I support. The raiders have turned it around off the field to the extent the group is quite profitable but because of the lack of private money in Canberra we can't compete on TPA.

The salary cap is supposed to keep clubs financial ironically if it was open slather the raiders could at least compete which is very difficult with the TPA system. As I said publish how much each clubs spend on salary including TPA every year. So we can see how "balanced" the comp is every year. If clubs are using TPA to top up salaries I don't see why it shouldn't be published.

POPEYE

Coach
Yeah. He should have been out there poaching burgii.

Oops. It's only poaching if someone other than a favoured coach does it....

Give me a list of established NRL players my favoured coach has poached ol' mate

I'm willing to bet Bellamy wouldn't take Burgess even if he had a chance

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Give me a list of established NRL players my favoured coach has poached ol' mate

I'm willing to bet Bellamy wouldn't take Burgess even if he had a chance

Since Bellamy started coaching?

Michael crocker, Jeff Lima, Ben cross,Russell Aitken, Anthony Quinn, clint newton, Dane neilsen, Ryan hinchcliffe, matt cross, Brett finch, chase Stanley, Adam woolough, sisa waqa, Jason ryles, tom leahroyd Lars and on and on the list could go.

My point was that you say you abhor poaching yet laud the Burgess signing which was poaching. Twice.

POPEYE

Coach

Michael crocker, Jeff Lima, Ben cross,Russell Aitken, Anthony Quinn, clint newton, Dane neilsen, Ryan hinchcliffe, matt cross, Brett finch, chase Stanley, Adam woolough, sisa waqa, Jason ryles, tom leahroyd Lars and on and on the list could go.

My point was that you say you abhor poaching yet laud the Burgess signing which was poaching. Twice.

Crikey, you'll need a wheelbarrow to carry all that bullshit, those players you listed were desperately wanted/needed by the clubs Bellamy salvaged them from you think . . . can't believe you actually compiled the list and expected people not to laugh at you

The Poms are fair game, poaching from them doesn't count. It's all in the eye of the beholder old mate, if you like to think Ballin was poached go for it. I have a line of demarcation which I stick by, any club that wantonly buys a player that another club says it needs is a poacher, you're idea of poaching ranks with being baptised

bfoord

Juniors
So you could be employed on a full time basis. And at the same time receive more money than your salary from a third party to perform the role with your employer.. seems legit.

These third party payments are complete shit. Never liked them and will never like them. How can we have cap if it is still possible to go out and provide far more to the players. Oh that's it...the club "cannot" offer these payments....lol yeah right.

Either it's the exact same for everyone or the difference between the clubs will be similar to the EPL.

This happens in sporting competitions all over the world. You can't think of them as normal businesses.

A perfect example is when David Beckham signed with LA Galaxy ... He signed one of the biggest contracts in the history of sport ... But only a fraction of that was for actually playing soccer. The vast majority of it was sponsorships (otherwise known as TPAs).

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Crikey, you'll need a wheelbarrow to carry all that bullshit, those players you listed were desperately wanted/needed by the clubs Bellamy salvaged them from you think . . . can't believe you actually compiled the list and expected people not to laugh at you

The Poms are fair game, poaching from them doesn't count. It's all in the eye of the beholder old mate, if you like to think Ballin was poached go for it. I have a line of demarcation which I stick by, any club that wantonly buys a player that another club says it needs is a poacher, you're idea of poaching ranks with being baptised

So you place conditions on your definition, one of which is how you feel about it....

Ian Schubert? Is that you?

bfoord

Juniors

Poaching is not picking up rejects that no other club wants.

Liddell

Juniors
If Trent Merrin is paid 750k by Penrith, Burgess would have to be worth 1m

GO

And if Sandow and Brooks are paid $500k+, JT would have to be worth $2mill.

Sorry Cowboys, because some poorly managed clubs pay overs everytime, you guys have to have them under the cap for the same.

Parra

Referee
I can't cop Bellamy due to the cheating, wrestling and NSW failures. His ability to take rejects from other clubs and get the most from them is undeniable.

Card Shark

Immortal
If there was no cap there'd be a scenario were the only team in the comp who regularly posts a profit, the Broncos, would simply spend all their money securing the Queensland origin team. Because they are so well run they'd be able to do that year in, year out. With broncos winning the comp pretty much every year you'd get a badly run team, let's use parramatta as an example, spend more then they can handle signing big money deals trying to keep up. Even with the cap in place parra have made some really dumb choice in the last few years (big money signings like Poore, lussick, Sandow, hopoate, watmough and despite him being a great player it seems as if they've overpaid on foran). Without a cap parra are very likely to run themselves into the ground with mis-managment.
So we'd have broncos winning most years, probably roosters and souths challenging evry other year,.clubs like parra and tigers running themselves into the ground, crowds would be way down on what they are now, tv viewers would drop dramatically, tv money would stop flowing into the game, so the flow down of money to lower levels woukd cease to exist, and the nrl would only run for about 10 years max before the whole thing collapsed. The salary cap not only brings balance to the playing talent (every team except the raiders have made the preliminary final in the last 10 years) but it also keeps balance of the comp in general.

That's pretty much how it would go.

May as well bring in 4 more teams & have 2 divisions of 10. Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U, Man C & Arsenal will have permanent bookings at the top of the top tier.

Oops, I meant Broncos, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs & Storm.

The other 15 teams can only dream....

Latest posts