What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess served with show cause notice

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
no I do not think it would attract either.

as I said, Kaufusi CLEARY went off because of his rib injury. The trainer was checking his torso on the field, and he went off clutching it. The fox team were laughing that the storm were claiming HIA given barely any head contact was actually made. It was even announced during the fox coverage that he wouldn’t be back as he’d succumbed to his rib injury.

it’s frankly laughable how much you raiders fans are going off about this, especially considering your boy Papali knocked a bloke into next week with a shoulder to the head (a tackle that has seen many a player suspended this year)

It doesn’t matter what Kaufusi went off for. It’s a totally separate issue

Luke clearly used an illegal swinging arm to the head.
That it not a careless grade . It’s reckless at worst,

Pete Cash

Post Whore
So the Keary hit was the worst high tackle of 2019 then? We haven’t seen another reckless high tackle charge this season I believe.

and yes I am 100% positive no one would be sent off in a GF for that. It would be absolutely outrageous if they were.

you sound like a pearl clutching mother

Do words not have meaning now or something ? Reckless doesn’t mean bad it implies a certain level of intent. Keary got a huff on because he got a hand to the face and tried to put a hit on because he f**ked up with intent it becomes reckless no ? That’s how it’s defined legally

Perhaps you have a different definition. That’s why I keep asking you what a reckless grade 1 tackle would look like

Danish

Referee
Do words not have meaning now or something ? Reckless doesn’t mean bad it implies a certain level of intent. Keary got a huff on because he got a hand to the face and tried to put a hit on because he f**ked up with intent it becomes reckless no ? That’s how it’s defined legally

Perhaps you have a different definition. That’s why I keep asking you what a reckless grade 1 tackle would look like

In the eyes of NRL grading it means bad. A grade 1 reckless is worse than a grade 3 careless. That’s how they score them.

The system has been that way for a decade, so take your semantics to the NRL if you want to complain about it. personally I think 9 levels of high tackle charges is insane... but at least it’s better than when we had 15 levels I suppose.

for Keary to get a reckless charge would make it worse than any other high tackle this year. That’s absolutely not the case

siv

First Grade
Keary's hit the head of a player in a revenge reckless if not intentional hit

Which was charged at least. But incorrectly charged

While he got if scot free for scalping a player

Pete Cash

Post Whore
In the eyes of NRL grading it means bad. A grade 1 reckless is worse than a grade 3 careless. That’s how they score them.

The system has been that way for a decade, so take your semantics to the NRL if you want to complain about it. personally I think 9 levels of high tackle charges is insane... but at least it’s better than when we had 15 levels I suppose.

for Keary to get a reckless charge would make it worse than any other high tackle this year. That’s absolutely not the case

haha semantics is what defines the line between careless and reckless. Careless is an accident where reckless is an accident with intent. The gradings are fine but the loading could be adjusted

The reason why you refuse to give an example of what a grade 1 reckless tackle would look like is because you know it would be something along the lines of the keary hit. It was so obviously retaliation for the fend.

Danish

Referee
haha semantics is what defines the line between careless and reckless. Careless is an accident where reckless is an accident with intent. The gradings are fine but the loading could be adjusted

The reason why you refuse to give an example of what a grade 1 reckless tackle would look like is because you know it would be something along the lines of the keary hit. It was so obviously retaliation for the fend.

Believe it or not there aren’t a whole lot of video guidelines of what reckless vs careless looks like. Reckless vs careless requires some level of intent... yet we have intentional high tackles too so it’s even more grey.

But I guess if you’d like one, a bloke running at full pelt and coathangaring a bloke is pretty reckless. No idea what grading to give to any tackle, that’s just a coin toss. You seem to consider that type of behaviour careless though

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

Yes, nothing like self interest. It wins every time

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Believe it or not there aren’t a whole lot of video guidelines of what reckless vs careless looks like. Reckless vs careless requires some level of intent... yet we have intentional high tackles too so it’s even more grey.

But I guess if you’d like one, a bloke running at full pelt and coathangaring a bloke is pretty reckless. No idea what grading to give to any tackle, that’s just a coin toss. You seem to consider that type of behaviour careless though

He didnt intentionally take him high. Im pretty sure it was just an accident but throwing a swinging arm like that as retaliation for (a grubby) fend is reckless because Keary had to know or should know there is the potential for that act to go wrong.

The burgess one i think was probably careless if that's what you are referring to. Hes a big dumb oaf but he sort of just hangs his arm out there on moylan. I could be convinced it was reckless though.

I honestly hand on the bible think this would be a very different situation if it was a forward on a half back in the regular season. Lets say it was Sam Burgess on Keary in the regular season, exactly the same situation so a swinging arm that ends up on the jaw in retaliation to an illegal play by Keary. Lets say because of the size difference Burgess breaks Kearys jaw.

I honestly believe every ex halfback in the media and roosters fan spends the next week seething and Sam cops a pretty bad suspension. I think there is a little leeway because its the grand final but its mostly small man bias where the judiciary lets go tackles that larger players would cop a worse charge on.

As i said in the other thread maybe that's fair enough because big players do cause more damage but fans also want consistency apparently

no name

Coach
He didnt intentionally take him high. Im pretty sure it was just an accident but throwing a swinging arm like that as retaliation for (a grubby) fend is reckless because Keary had to know or should know there is the potential for that act to go wrong.

The burgess one i think was probably careless if that's what you are referring to. Hes a big dumb oaf but he sort of just hangs his arm out there on moylan. I could be convinced it was reckless though.

I honestly hand on the bible think this would be a very different situation if it was a forward on a half back in the regular season. Lets say it was Sam Burgess on Keary in the regular season, exactly the same situation so a swinging arm that ends up on the jaw in retaliation to an illegal play by Keary. Lets say because of the size difference Burgess breaks Kearys jaw.

I honestly believe every ex halfback in the media and roosters fan spends the next week seething and Sam cops a pretty bad suspension. I think there is a little leeway because its the grand final but its mostly small man bias where the judiciary lets go tackles that larger players would cop a worse charge on.

As i said in the other thread maybe that's fair enough because big players do cause more damage but fans also want consistency apparently
It’s a very grey area to start trying to predict the intentions of players.

For mine, both were swinging arms, both made contact in very similar areas.

And while there is a case being made that because Keary came back at Kaufusi it makes it ‘worse’, Kaufusi has his head down while Moylan has his head upright, making Burgess’ a higher shot.

skeepe

Immortal
Just like Canberra's first try, eh ;)

Lol. Pretty sure that’s tongue in cheek, but for anyone who might take you seriously:

If he doesn’t drop the ball, somehow gets out and runs 100 metres to score down the other end, would you be happy to be called back for a drop-out?

yobbo84

First Grade
Lol. Pretty sure that’s tongue in cheek, but for anyone who might take you seriously:

If he doesn’t drop the ball, somehow gets out and runs 100 metres to score down the other end, would you be happy to be called back for a drop-out?
Yes, tongue in cheek.

My point is this - you could tell Allan wasn't trying to ground the ball. You could tell that Keary had the shits and was trying to belt Kaufusi (not necessarily high, but he was trying to whack him back out of anger). 100% it was reckless.

skeepe

Immortal
Yes, tongue in cheek.

My point is this - you could tell Allan wasn't trying to ground the ball. You could tell that Keary had the shits and was trying to belt Kaufusi (not necessarily high, but he was trying to whack him back out of anger). 100% it was reckless.

Agree on all points.

But f**k it, it’s done. Let’s hope the promised review into the MRC does more than just scratch the surface.

wazdog

Juniors
Well the first steps on a more consistent MRC / Judiciary has been made with Michael Buettner resigning from the MRC.

Looks like those crocodile tears are slowly starting to work Sammy!