What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam is officially back 3 year deal

grandorient

Bench
From a Dragons supporter looking from the outside in, you guys will definitely keep Walker, although if Teo comes onboard, then it may change.

Good luck for next year guys, it will be tremendous to see Sam running around again.

GO

Rsag85

Bench
It'd be a bit of a squeeze to fit Te'o in but I reckon we could.

So the 4 players are McQueen, Grant, Tyrrell and Clark??

Yes those are the four but we might not lose all of them, I've just been told that those four a free to look else where for a new deal.

I think our side next year will have a lot of youth.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yes those are the four but we might not lose all of them, I've just been told that those four a free to look else where for a new deal.

I think our side next year will have a lot of youth.

Well if injuries hit the youth will come in.

Simone, Musgrove, B. Gray, Gosiewski to name a few.

Rabbits20

Immortal
From a Dragons supporter looking from the outside in, you guys will definitely keep Walker, although if Teo comes onboard, then it may change.

Good luck for next year guys, it will be tremendous to see Sam running around again.

GO

Thanks for that.

You guys are heading in the right direction too. I have St George in my top 8 for next season.

souths_pride

Juniors
While the signing of Sam Burgess is undoubtedly a massive coup for the club, I hope we don't fall into the trap of thinking that he is going to be our saviour and that we are going to sweep all before us. It is important to remember that in 2014, in a team that contained both S. Burgess and Ben Teo, we only won 2 more games in the regular season than we did this year. Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't expect to now only lose 2 games all year and that other players need to pull their fingers out and contribute.

NRL and Channel Nine resisting temptation to cash in on Sam Burgess' Rabbitohs return

Date November 9, 2015 - 7:01PM
Brad Walter

Sports Reporter

• North Queensland are set to host Canterbury in the opening match of the season, with Channel Nine and the NRL resisting the temptation of repeating this year's blockbuster premiership kick-off between South Sydney and Brisbane to capitalise on the return of Sam Burgess.
    Instead, the Rabbitohs and Broncos are expected to meet in round two at Suncorp Stadium in a match which is sure to be one of the most watched regular season games of the season, given the rating success of the two clashes between the clubs this year.
    The season-opening Brisbane-Souths match, which was played on a Thursday night, attracted a capital city audience of 729,000, while the return game at Allianz Stadium was watched by 711,000 metro viewers.
    Advertisement
    Fans in regional areas took the number of people tuning in to both games to more than 1 million nationally and along with the Storm-Broncos clashes in round 26, which drew a television audience of 723,000 in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, they were among the three most watched regular season matches.
    The return of Burgess after a 12-month stint in English rugby union should ensure even bigger viewing numbers this season, with the hype around the dual international likely to be similar to that when Sonny Bill Williams joined Sydney Roosters in 2013 after a five-year absence from the NRL.
    Burgess' decision to quit Bath and return to Souths on a three-year deal dominated weekend headlines in Australia and England and he will be an even bigger star than he was before he left at the end of the 2014 season after leading the Rabbitohs to their first premiership in 43 years.
    However, Fairfax Media was told Nine and the NRL were well advanced in discussions about the 2016 draw before the return of Burgess was confirmed last Friday and intend to stick with their plan for the Cowboys to host the season opener after winning the grand final.
    Parramatta had been considered as North Queensland's first opponents but it is understood that the Eels will play St George Illawarra in the opening round, with the Bulldogs to travel to Townsville for the March 3 clash.
    The Broncos had requested to play their first home match in round two against either the Cowboys or Rabbitohs, and it is believed they will face Souths, with the grand final replay to be played later in the season.
    The NRL is expected to release the full 2016 draw later this month, officials determined to announce the fixtures earlier than last year when fans had to wait until December to learn their team's schedule.
    The Bulldogs have announced trial matches against Penrith at Pepper Stadium on February 13 and Melbourne at Belmore Oval on February 20.
    The Panthers will also host Parramatta on February 20 at Pepper Stadium, while the Eels play Gold Coast at ANZAC Oval, Alice Springs, on February 13.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ohs-return-20151109-gkuk5n.html#ixzz3qzLrEB1y
    Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Rabbits20

Immortal
NRL and Channel Nine resisting temptation to cash in on Sam Burgess' Rabbitohs return

Date November 9, 2015 - 7:01PM
Brad Walter

Sports Reporter

• North Queensland are set to host Canterbury in the opening match of the season, with Channel Nine and the NRL resisting the temptation of repeating this year's blockbuster premiership kick-off between South Sydney and Brisbane to capitalise on the return of Sam Burgess.
    Instead, the Rabbitohs and Broncos are expected to meet in round two at Suncorp Stadium in a match which is sure to be one of the most watched regular season games of the season, given the rating success of the two clashes between the clubs this year.
    The season-opening Brisbane-Souths match, which was played on a Thursday night, attracted a capital city audience of 729,000, while the return game at Allianz Stadium was watched by 711,000 metro viewers.
    Advertisement
    Fans in regional areas took the number of people tuning in to both games to more than 1 million nationally and along with the Storm-Broncos clashes in round 26, which drew a television audience of 723,000 in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, they were among the three most watched regular season matches.
    The return of Burgess after a 12-month stint in English rugby union should ensure even bigger viewing numbers this season, with the hype around the dual international likely to be similar to that when Sonny Bill Williams joined Sydney Roosters in 2013 after a five-year absence from the NRL.
    Burgess' decision to quit Bath and return to Souths on a three-year deal dominated weekend headlines in Australia and England and he will be an even bigger star than he was before he left at the end of the 2014 season after leading the Rabbitohs to their first premiership in 43 years.
    However, Fairfax Media was told Nine and the NRL were well advanced in discussions about the 2016 draw before the return of Burgess was confirmed last Friday and intend to stick with their plan for the Cowboys to host the season opener after winning the grand final.
    Parramatta had been considered as North Queensland's first opponents but it is understood that the Eels will play St George Illawarra in the opening round, with the Bulldogs to travel to Townsville for the March 3 clash.
    The Broncos had requested to play their first home match in round two against either the Cowboys or Rabbitohs, and it is believed they will face Souths, with the grand final replay to be played later in the season.
    The NRL is expected to release the full 2016 draw later this month, officials determined to announce the fixtures earlier than last year when fans had to wait until December to learn their team's schedule.
    The Bulldogs have announced trial matches against Penrith at Pepper Stadium on February 13 and Melbourne at Belmore Oval on February 20.
    The Panthers will also host Parramatta on February 20 at Pepper Stadium, while the Eels play Gold Coast at ANZAC Oval, Alice Springs, on February 13.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ohs-return-20151109-gkuk5n.html#ixzz3qzLrEB1y

Thanks for that Newc, it's appreciated.

Rabbits20

Immortal
While the signing of Sam Burgess is undoubtedly a massive coup for the club, I hope we don't fall into the trap of thinking that he is going to be our saviour and that we are going to sweep all before us. It is important to remember that in 2014, in a team that contained both S. Burgess and Ben Teo, we only won 2 more games in the regular season than we did this year. Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that we shouldn't expect to now only lose 2 games all year and that other players need to pull their fingers out and contribute.

I've been thinking I hope other players don't think they can just turn up on the field in 2016 and expect Sam to do it all and make it happen.

Sam has very good leadership though and will help GI at fixing things/motivating the team to lift when needed.

The positive is Sam is inspirational to us on the field and the others followed in 2014. We need them to follow and lift again.

Search in:

Sam Burgess to face Sydney Roosters in NRL return for South Sydney Rabbitohs

Date November 10, 2015 - 8:00PM
Brad Walter

Sports Reporter

Sam Burgess's first premiership match for South Sydney next season is set to be against Sydney Roosters in an opening round blockbuster at Allianz Stadium.
Anything that gives Souths a kick along is alright by us so we are big fans of Sam coming back
Channel Nine executive producer Matt Callander​
While Channel Nine and the NRL plan to kick off the season with North Queensland hosting Canterbury in Townsville on Thursday 3 March, Burgess will still feature in one of the biggest matches of the first round against the Roosters on either Friday night or Sunday afternoon.
Sam Burgess of the Rabbitohs looks for support during the round one NRL match between the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Sydney Roosters in 2014. Photo: Matt King

The other Channel Nine match of the opening round is expected to be Parramatta versus St George Illawarra at Pirtek Stadium to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the opening of the ground.The Rabbitohs are then likely to face Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium the following Thursday or Friday night in a match certain to be a ratings success after the clashes between the clubs this year were the first- and third-most watched games of the regular season.
"I think seven or eight of our most watched games last year involved the Rabbitohs and games against their traditional rivals or other big clubs are always big," Nine executive producer Matt Callander said. "Anything that gives Souths a kick along is alright by us so we are big fans of Sam coming back."
"The opening match of the season is always a big game and especially with Souths coming off the back of a premiership was big for us this year, and even the game later in the season I remember rated especially well in the first half so if it had been close it could have done anything.
"Both those games were on a Thursday night and all the punters tell us they love watching games on a Thursday night so as you know the opening game is on a Thursday night."
The NRL are finalising the draw ahead of an announcement later this month but it has already been decided that the Cowboys would host the opening match of the season to capitalise on last month's epic 17-16 golden-point grand final win.
Souths and the Roosters traditionally meet in the opening round but the clash did not take place until round four this year as the Rabbitohs played the Broncos first up.
However, Fairfax Media understands the NRL's two remaining stand-alone foundation clubs will continue their rivalry in the first round this year and officials are hopeful of a big crowd if the match is scheduled on a Sunday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#ixzz3r5MWkSk0

Rabbits20

Immortal
So Newc, looks like we start with 2 tough away games:

R1: Allianz
R2: Suncorp

Our first home game must be Round 3 then.

Sam Burgess: South Sydney star back in Sydney

November 11th 2015
“I was always a league player in union, I don’t think that ever changes. I felt really comfortable in the environment, but it’s just the perception, how you’re portrayed by the media and whatever.” Burgess added he would remain at the Rabbitohs long-term, revealing South Sydney were the only club he considered returning to.

I’m here for a long time now. I love South Sydney, I never questioned looking elsewhere at any of the clubs.
“I would find it very hard to put a different shirt on. I love this club, the experience I had here over the five seasons I played are unbelievable.
“I watched Souths very closely. Our schedule over there meant it was very hard to keep up with live.

Sam Burgess gets a warm welcome upon his arrival at Sydney Airport. Picture: John GraingerElated... Sams girlfriend Phoebe Hooke greets her mum at the airport. Picture: John Grainger
“I think a few guys left last year ... but it’s been great watching players grow. Greg (Inglis) and John (Sutton), Luke Keary have all stepped up in certain areas of the game. I’m really looking forward to just stepping in amongst the guys.
“I can’t wait to start training with them and start knuckling down.”
South Sydney chief executive John Lee could not hide his excitement ont he return of the big Englishman.
“Who would have thought a week ago he would have signed and be back on Australian soil for summer, it’s great for the club, the NRL and the game,” Lee said.
A number of Souths fans were at the airport to greet Burgess.
Burgess, 26, will get married in coming weeks to fiance Phoebe Hooke before starting off-season training in early December.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hopefully its a Sunday at Allianz R20.It will be a sell out.

Yeah if not a sell out should be very close if on a Sunday. 40-41k possibly.

I hate Allianz though. The only good thing is the view of the field, everything else about it I strongly dislike. It's so run down now too. The facilities aren't good imo.

The seats you sit on there are horrible too.

I definitely prefer ANZ!!!!

Others were saying the same at the game against the Sharks.

Last edited:

Latest posts