What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam is officially back 3 year deal

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sam is home

oh yes he is

how sweet it is

he is now back where he belongs

home with the pride of the league

for sammy we love you

Returning Rabbitoh Sam Burgess joined Club CEO John Lee in fronting the Rugby League media this morning (Wednesday) at Sydney’s International Arrivals terminal, mere minutes after the forward arrived in the country.
Sporting a Rabbit on his chest for the first time since 2014s Grand Final celebrations, Burgess answered questions relating to his return to the Club and the game, after a year-long stint spent playing Rugby Union in the UK for Bath.
Visibly proud to be re-joining his Rabbitohs Family in Sydney, Burgess reflected as much with his words during the course of proceedings.
“I’m here for a long time now,” said Burgess.
“I love South Sydney, I never questioned looking elsewhere at any of the clubs.
“I would find it very hard to put a different shirt on. I love this Club, the experience I had here over the five seasons I played are unbelievable.”
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/11/11/press_conference_sam.html

Now or never: Sam Burgess' choice between a career in rugby union and the NRL

Date November 11, 2015 - 4:16PM
Brad Walter

​Sam Burgess has revealed he knew in the wake of England's Rugby World Cup exit that he had to either return to South Sydney now or stay in rugby union for the rest of his career.
Who doesn't miss their mum. I am not afraid to say that.
Sam Burgess​
Burgess, who will next month celebrate his 27th birthday and wedding to fiancee Phoebe Hooke, believed it would take another 18 months to fully understand the new game so the dual international weighed up where he would rather be after his contract expired with Bath in mid-2017 and chose rugby league and the Rabbitohs.
However, Burgess insists he was not a failure in rugby union and said he had no regrets about the decision to switch codes after leading Souths to the 2014 premiership or his return just 12 months later.
Despite the criticism about his selection in the World Cup squad and England's failure to make it past the pool stage, Burgess said that it was the realisation of how much he missed the game and his mum, Julie, in Sydney, with brothers Luke, George and Tom, that swayed his decision.
"You have got a very short space of time that you can play professional sport at a top level so I think, looking forward, I was going to be playing as a flanker in rugby union, and some of the skills you need in that game I have just never done in my entire life, so it would have taken me a good 18 months to nail them down and play at the top level, by which time I am 28 or 29," Burgess said.
Burgess with girlfriend Phoebe Hooke. Photo: Peter Rae

"I just started to weigh up what really is in my heart more; if it was union then I would stay there and I would probably finish my career there, but for me, long term, I wanted to come and finish, I guess, what we started in rugby league or in Australia at South Sydney.
"There are so many things at South Sydney that I missed so I am just so happy to be back. I have got my whole family here, I have been here five years now and I moved back to England and I realised that actually my home now is where all my family are and where Phoebe and her family are, and South Sydney."
Asked about criticism from Bath coach Mike Ford, who said Burgess didn't have "the stomach for rugby union", Burgess told a press conference at Sydney airport: "What did he say, that I missed my mum. I do. Who doesn't miss their mum. I am not afraid to say that. Fordy is entitled to say what he wants, but I guess it is just more of a reflection on himself than me".
Having realised while he was in England that he regularly referred to Sydney as "home", Burgess vowed to play out his career for the Rabbitohs and said he had never considered playing for any other club in the NRL or Super League.
"I am here for the long term now," Burgess said. "I love South Sydney so it was never in question about looking elsewhere or at any other clubs. I would find it very hard to put a different shirt on. It is almost like a family itself."
Burgess also missed the weekly grind of an NRL season in comparison to English rugby union where teams carry 50-man squads to cover the constant disruption of players being absent on international duty.
"I missed the consistency of working very hard with a group of 25 players, being sore, being beaten up and having to get out there on the weekend and do it again," he said.
"That is not a mock of rugby union ... but for me personally I just think in rugby league you play with passion and heart, and my heart lies in rugby league so I think the sooner I got back was probably the best."
He also felt he had never been fully accepted because of his league background but enjoyed the experience and believed he had achieved a lot in a short period of time.
"I was always a league player in union; I don't think that ever changes," Burgess said. "I felt real comfortable in the environment I guess, but it is just the perception of how you are portrayed in the media at times.
"I guess the media over there is quite hot for things and especially with the England team ... so I guess you kind of expected it, but probably not to the level it came in terms of people who supposedly wanted England to do well were the ones who were sort of eroding it from the inside."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-mum-again-20151110-gkvryf.html#ixzz3r9qOM1Mn
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...y-rabbitohs-or-mum-again-20151110-gkvryf.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
Returning Rabbitoh Sam Burgess joined Club CEO John Lee in fronting the Rugby League media this morning (Wednesday) at Sydney?s International Arrivals terminal, mere minutes after the forward arrived in the country.
Sporting a Rabbit on his chest for the first time since 2014s Grand Final celebrations, Burgess answered questions relating to his return to the Club and the game, after a year-long stint spent playing Rugby Union in the UK for Bath.
Visibly proud to be re-joining his Rabbitohs Family in Sydney, Burgess reflected as much with his words during the course of proceedings.
?I?m here for a long time now,? said Burgess.
?I love South Sydney, I never questioned looking elsewhere at any of the clubs.
?I would find it very hard to put a different shirt on. I love this Club, the experience I had here over the five seasons I played are unbelievable.?
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2015/11/11/press_conference_sam.html

But but but but........................

He was very close to going to the Sharks said Slothfield:lol::lol:

Lote Tuqiri says Sam Burgess return still has South Sydney Rabbitohs with work to do to replicate 2014

THE return of Sam Burgess has lifted the hype around South Sydney’s premiership chances back to levels not seen since the club’s pre-season blitz earlier this year.

In the end the Rabbitohs’ 2015 season fizzled out after the club backed up its 2014 premiership with the Auckland Nines trophy and World Club Challenge victory, which many reasoned was down to the burden of shifting the enormous load of Slammin’ Sam onto others in the side.
With the most famous of the Burgess brothers back in the fold for 2016, the hyperbole around the instant spike the Rabbitohs are set to experience has been staggering.
No one’s a bigger Burgess fan than Lote Tuqiri but even he is guarded when asked to compare the side Burgess is returning to with the one he left.
The reason? The departure of the unsung hero of South Sydney’s 2014 premiership, Ben Te’o.
“We won the comp in 2014,” Tuqiri reminds foxsports.com.au.
“Certainly there’s big elements from that 2014 roster. But guys like Ben Te’o, he was massive in 2014.
“You can’t underestimate the impact he had on the side with his steel in defence and his role as a foil for Burgess in attack.
ISSUE: The first thing Burgess must fix at Souths
“He’s not there anymore and nor are guys like Beau Champion.
“He’s working off-field now for Souths but guys like him in the change room really had an impact to really lighten things up and break things up with a coach like Madge who’s very serious.”
Those factors make Tuqiri reluctant to predict premiership glory for the Rabbitohs in 2016 but neither is he willing to underestimate the impact of Burgess having seen first hand how his aura lifts the whole club.
OUCH: ‘Burgess didn’t have the stomach for rugby’
“You’ll see Luke Keary and Adam Reynolds will really feed off somebody like Sammy Burgess,” Tuqiri said.
“ ... I think it’ll be the halves first and foremost but moreso it’s going to lift morale and confidence for the whole team and that can be understated at times.

“That’ll be massive. That will be huge. You can’t quantify something like this happening for a club — not only for the players but for the fans as well, the confidence in the joint top to bottom will be back.” Ben Te'o celebrates the 2014 premiership with Luke Keary. Source: News Corp Australia
Tuqiri also subscribes to the theory that Burgess will tighten the discipline of the player group at the end of a 12-month period in which the club has occasionally been dragged through the mud due to off-field issues.
The premiership winger says Burgess “will instil behaviours and standards” that have dropped away, although he’s quick to point out his belief that some of the so-called scandals have been mishandled and overblown.
“Sam is a leader in his own right. When Sam says something to that squad I’m sure they will all listen. They’re quite a young squad and everything else,” Tuqiri said.
“In saying that, I’m disappointed with some of what came out in the media with the Dylan Walker and Aaron Gray stuff.

“I’m disappointed with how Souths handled that. I don’t know the ins and outs of it but it was never an overdose, it’s just been portrayed that way.
“That wasn’t handled the best but with Sam coming back there’ll be an expectation of leading by example. He’s done that in the past and he’ll do that going forward in the Rabbitohs jersey.”While the return of Burgess has been met with joy by the majority of the rugby league community, the response from English rugby has been bitter, with Bath coach Mike Ford leading the way.
Ford blamed Burgess’ departure on his lack of “stomach for a fight”, an assertion that was slammed by Tuqiri.
“It’s easy to say when the bloke’s left the country and he’s in the air,” Tuqiri said.
“You’d like these things to be fleshed out behind closed doors but I think the only bloke who didn’t have the stomach for it is maybe Mike Ford.
“You’d probably say that to a bloke’s face rather than put it out there publicly when he’s halfway across the world but that goes to show the bloke’s true colours and it’s a bit sad that that’s how it’s ended up for Sam and the Bath coach.
“You judge people on how they come back from things but it’s a bit of crying over spilt milk now, which is disappointing from Sam’s point of view.
“I reckon it would have been tougher to hang around and stay in something you weren’t happy doing and Sam’s bit the bullet and let them know ‘this is not for me’.
“I’m sure other people have probably hung around just for the sake of making people happy and I think Sam should be applauded for following his gut and being realistic to himself.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...o-replicate-2014/story-e6frf3uu-1227605138044

Latest posts