What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same old story

K-Man

Bench
Penalties giving away cheap field position
Errors at crucial times
Unable to defend kicks
No luck whatsoever
Concede the first try of the match.. AGAIN!

Every game just seems the same.

I would just love to see us start a match strongly, get the first try, build the confidence and see how we go playing from in front. We make it so hard for ourselves every single match - and it is nearly always due to stupid penalties that get us into trouble.

K-Man

Bench
Oh yeah, and Dureau starts from the bench - we get behind on the scoreboard.

Dureau come onto the field - we start scoring points.

What could that mean Smithy?

K-Man

Bench
Exactly Karma.

Quote from Warren Ryan 30 seconds into the second half:

"Why do Newcastle always give the opposition a leg-up and then fight like demons to get back in it"?

A penalty in the first set of six after half time and Sharks nearly score. WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!! FOCUS!!!!!! For a coach with such a school teacher, disciplinarian type persona, Smith doesn't exactly get the side playing consistent, disciplined, smart football.

Houston, what more can you say? I remember a quote pre-season from Smith saying something about how they liked his intelligence and attitude and the way he spoke as much as his football!!! what a joke.

K-Man

Bench
oh my god!!!! i just typed that and the next thing that happened was a
HOUSTON PENALTY!!!!! and a bad one too. the crowd were booing, we were offside, we needed to tighten up and make the ref happy......
and in he goes and gives away another one.

the guy is an absolute joke. could be a really good backrower if he wasn't such an idiot.

Are he and Gallen the 2 most penalised players in the comp? I'd like to know.

boltsy

Juniors
I f you visit the following www.nrlstats.com.au and the Reports section you will find some inetersting info. If you sort by "penalties" you will see that Houston is the most penalised in the NRL.

Karmawave

Bench
Chris Houston :evil:

I can't understand how a guy can continue to make the same mistakes week after week after week.

I firmly believe that he single handledly cost us a win when we played the Warriors in NZ earlier this year with his lack of discipline, as well as costing us dearly against the Dragons a couple of weeks ago.

And I don't know what happened to his hit ups as the year has gone on, but he might as well just walk given the small amount of effort and commitment that goes into them.

Will any of the skills coaches ever be able to get Richard Faaoso to simply hold onto a football?

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Houston annoys me with his ball handling also, he never looks like he will just take a tackle and play the ball without letting it go.

Fa'aoso is prone to that.

It's one reason I like Wicks. He almost makes no errors, sign of a good player IMO.

Last week was his first one I think.

Karmawave

Bench
Fa'aoso is prone to that.

It's one reason I like Wicks. He almost makes no errors, sign of a good player IMO.

Last week was his first one I think.

Faaoso looks like it's a struggle to even hold onto the ball even when he is trying to play the bloody thing.

And can anyone answer me why it took Danny Wicks 79 minutes to fire up and show a bit of aggression?

Johns Magic

Referee
Faaoso looks like it's a struggle to even hold onto the ball even when he is trying to play the bloody thing.

And can anyone answer me why it took Danny Wicks 79 minutes to fire up and show a bit of aggression?

Because he only came back on with less than ten minutes to go?

Karmawave

Bench
Yep, and played well.

You didn't watch the game?

Yes, and I think he played much better tonight.

But my question stands.

Why did it take him 79 minutes to fire up and show some aggression?

Is there anything stopping him showing that kind of passion for an entire game?

Johns Magic

Referee
Yes, and I think he played much better tonight.

But my question stands.

Why did it take him 79 minutes to fire up and show some aggression?

Is there anything stopping him showing that kind of passion for an entire game?

I think that goes for the rest of the forward pack as well

Karmawave

Bench
I think that goes for the rest of the forward pack as well

One thing's for sure, if Chris Houston had a bit of Danny Wicks heart he might be better off.

Wicks can be disappointing, but at least he generally looks interested. I guess out of all of them, and given Wicks sheer size, I'd like to see him be a bit more aggressive overall and put his size to a bit of use and punish the sh*t out of a few opponents. Cos I think he is the ability to be a good impact front rower.

Last edited:

Nuffy

Bench
Not too bad considering some of the players out and Mullen going down late in the game.

Couple of points,

Houston - back to rubbish this week, last week was passable, staking a claim for the dumbest player in the NRL, his mistakes and conceded penalties are diabolical.

Uate - not a bad first game, certainly better than some, he needs a experienced centre in side of him, no disrespect to Sau but the blokes only played what 4 games and is learning himself. They need to stick with Uate.

Wicks - WOFTAM

Dureau - doing his best, needs to start.

Mullen - getting better, unlucky once again.

Geez, how inexperienced is the team,I think the bulk of the blokes are aiming up, but we just keep conceding cheap penalties, and making silly mistakes, something you expect, but have trouble accepting from a young team.

Archer - thanks again for nothing, the Seymour penalty was a disgrace and I can't wait for Finch's ringing endorsement of the decision.

I just can't fathom the level of misfortune and plain bad luck we've experienced this season, and the last few seasons, I hope one day it turns around because its starting to get a little predictable.

Karmawave

Bench
I mean it could be worse.

Imagine being a Cronulla Sharks supporter and having to get excited over their attacking prowess week in week out. They are a deadset snoozefest and it's a style of footy that a few teams have in the NRL - and one reason I'm losing interest in the game.

Nuffy

Bench
I'd say that we are really doing OK based on the lack of players and the fact that some of the 17 are passengers.

If we 17 full contributors, we'd be killing it.

Every week we have significantly less football than the competition and are always competitive.