What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoa 24 man Squad Announced

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
On Radio Sport NZ Moments ago

George Carmont
David Faiumu
Harrison Hansen
Ali Lauiti'iti
Taualagi Lepupa
Kylie Leuluai
Wayne McDade
Francis Meli
Joseph Paulo
Frank Puletua
Tony Puletua
Ben Roberts
Tangi Ropati
Smith Samau
Lagi Setu
Terry SeuSeu
David Solomona
Willie Talau
Albert Talipeau
Misi Taulapapa
Ben Te'o
Tupu Ulufale
Matt Utai
Nigel Vagana

George Carmont
David Faiumu
Harrison Hansen
Ali Lauiti'iti
Taualagi Lepupa
Kylie Leuluai
Wayne McDade
Francis Meli
Joseph Paulo
Frank Puletua
Tony Puletua
Ben Roberts
Tangi Ropati
Smith Samau
Lagi Setu
Terry Seu Seu
David Solomona
Willie Talau
Albert Talipeau
Misi Taulapapa
Ben Te'o
Tupu Ulufale
Matt Utai
Nigel Vagana

Two domestic players in that lot. A couple of surprises too like Alby Talipeau ahead of Iosefa. No Lolesi, No Tony, No Joe Vagana, No Tagataese, No Chase Stanley, No Sonny Fai and No Patrick Ah Van. I think that shows the amateurish and inconsistent nature of these teams and the people running them. They wouldn't know who they've got from one day to the next. It's not as strong as expected.

Lox

Juniors
i really wanted taulima tautai and masada iosefa in the squad..

but heres my team:

1. smith samau/tangi ropati
2. misi taulapapa
3. george carmont
4. willie talau/harrison hansen
5. matt utai
6. nigel vagana
7. ben roberts
8. tony puletua
9. david faiumu
10. wayne mcdade
11. ben teo/lagi setu
12. ali lauitiiti
13. joseph paulo

14. albert talipeau
15. frank puletua
16. lagi setu/ben teo
17. harrison hansen/willie talau

I'd go with

1 Taluapapa
2 Samau
3 Carmont
4 Talau
5 Meli
6 Vagana
7 Roberts
8 T Puletua
9 Faiumu
10 Leuluai
11 Solomona
12 Lauitiiti
13 Te'o
14 Seu Seu
15 Setu
16 Hansen
17 F Puletua

Special K

Coach
I can't wait to see Meli again. Gee he could pull off a MASSIVE hit from the wing. I remember one year at the 7's he buckled some poor guy who heard the siren and thought it was going to be a soft tackle...

watatank

Coach
Was expecting a stronger side. Iosefa in particular should feel disappointed he is way better than Faiumu

Ram Man

Juniors
Smith Samau ahead of Junior Sau? Now that really is f**ked.

I gotta agree...I hear a lot of people losing their $hit over Smith Samau but I am yet to see him produce anything really outstanding...from memory he was overlooked for a Titans wing position even with the injuries they had...

ByRd

First Grade
Iosefa and Sau should of been included, Faiumu should be used off the bench as a backrower and Seu Seu & Iosefa should of been the dummy halfs, but it is still a solid looking sqaud.

hutch

First Grade
well done to samoa for choosing the 2 domestic players. at least they have started with 2 players they have developed themselves and didnt name players who played tests this year for another country (unless ben roberts did, im not sure). either way, its something to work on, and hopefully when the rlif grow some balls one day the squads may contain the 6 domestic players as originally planned. im changing my supoprt from tonga to samoa in this group, these players have been together for a while and they didnt go picking just anyone with links to samoa as tonga did.

Not the strongest team that they could of picked but they should be good to watch. However, I doubt that this team will make the semis.

well done to samoa for choosing the 2 domestic players. at least they have started with 2 players they have developed themselves and didnt name players who played tests this year for another country (unless ben roberts did, im not sure). either way, its something to work on, and hopefully when the rlif grow some balls one day the squads may contain the 6 domestic players as originally planned. im changing my supoprt from tonga to samoa in this group, these players have been together for a while and they didnt go picking just anyone with links to samoa as tonga did.
Ben Roberts dropped out of the ANZAC test the day before so he should be okay.

Lox

Juniors
is this albert talipeau good, all i know about him is that he plays hooker for souths logans magpies in the qld cup.
i thought that these players should have been selected:

reni maitua, sonny fai, ben matulino, chase stanley, masada iosefa, terrence seu seu, junior sau, patrick ah van/malo solomona.

tonga had a pretty decent side with jennings, tupou, williams, the paeas, mateo etc.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
wow, what a crap side compared to what they could have had.

Samoa could have really given Tonga a run for top spot in the group - its a shame they botched their selections so badly.

Fai, Matulino, Stanley, Iosefa, Sau and Taufua would have added heaps to that squad.

Coastbloke

Bench
Maybe Sonny Fai and Pat Ah Van weren't picked because they will be definite Kiwis in the very near future and have indicated so..

In fact I am very very surprised Sonny Fai isn't in the Kiwi squad. He would have been a starting Centre IMO...

roopy

Referee
Samoa finished 3rd in the PI qualifiers and had to qualify through the repercharge, basically because they pick weak teams for some reason.
I have a feeling politics plays a big part in Samoa selection.

I get the impression the Samoan team is a bit of a clique. That's why Faasalavalu never played for them, because he's not part of the South Auckland boys club. I remember when Faasavalu first chose to play for England (GB) he said no one from Samoa had ever asked him to play for them and this was at the time when Samoa was playing in the qualifiers and the Fed Shield.

Latest posts