What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow back in training

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels must release Chris Sandow to Brisbane Broncos, says Peter Sterling

PARRAMATTA’S greatest halfback Peter Sterling has urged Eels hierarchy to jettison Chris Sandow, insisting the troubled playmaker needs a fresh start to have any hope of reviving his NRL career.

Sterling’s stance came as the prospect of a Queensland homecoming appears doomed, with the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys baulking at a lifeline for the Cherbourg product.

Sandow was hailed as Parramatta’s finest halfback hope since Sterling when he signed in 2012, but instead he has become the Eels’ high-maintenance $550,000-a-season headache.

Instead of calling the shots in Parramatta’s season opener against the Warriors yesterday, the recovering gambling addict turned out for NSW Cup side Wentworthville 24 hours earlier.

Four-time premiership-winner Sterling had hoped Sandow would be the man to break Parramatta’s 27-year title drought, but fears the halfback’s position at the club is untenable.

“I think it would be mutually beneficial if Chris Sandow pursued his career elsewhere,” said Sterling, a veteran of 227 first-grade games who piloted the Eels to their last grand-final victory in 1986.

“The writing is on the wall really that he is going to struggle to play first grade again at Parramatta.

“It’s a shame to see what has transpired, but both parties need a fresh start and maybe that might be the best thing for Chris’ career as well.

“It would be good for Parramatta and Chris if they severed ties.”

It is understood the Eels are amenable to an immediate release and would help subsidise any move, but it is unclear how many NRL rivals are prepared to roll the dice with Sandow.

The former Queensland Emerging Origin squad member’s name was thrown up to the Broncos, but Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin said on Friday he had no interest in the pint-sized schemer.

The Titans are unlikely to be interested given that they axed him in 2008 for disciplinary reasons, while the Cowboys have three halfback options in Robert Lui, Michael Morgan and Ray Thompson.

Sterling said the Eels had the ability to move on from Sandow, praising the potential of new scrumbase pairing Luke Kelly and former Broncos utility Corey Norman.

“I like Corey Norman. The fact he has been paired with Luke Kelly is a good sign,” he said.

“Luke is a level-headed guy, not a flashy player but he plays with good control.

“He is the kind of No.7 the Eels need to get them to where they need to be and that will allow Corey to play his natural game and play a bit of football. That can be a nice combination and one that suits the team.

“I don’t know if Chris Sandow has any other offers, I don’t know if it’s an urban myth but there is talk around the Broncos could be showing interest.

“Parramatta might have to carry a significant amount of the contract money Sandow is on if he went elsewhere, but that would free up some money to add to the team in other areas.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-peter-sterling/story-fni3ga7r-1226849635748

ParraSteve

Juniors
ESL is his best option, cant see any nrl team going near him. Knights maybe but we'd have to pay the majority of his salary

TheRam

Coach
One, I am posting from my iPhone and two I have viewed too many articles this week to view them.

Use a different browser you boof. That is, if you use X browser and your quota is up, then just use Y browser and your quota starts all over again.

Gronk

Staff member
Use a different browser you boof. That is, if you use X browser and your quota is up, then just use Y browser and your quota starts all over again.

Actually the way to do it is turn off cookies for that particular site.

Eels Dude

Coach
No point in releasing him now since we can't add to our 2014 really. Kelly is rather injury prone so I'd expect Sandow to be used this year and we dont really have another backup.

hindy111

Post Whore
If Hunt plays like he did on Friday Brisbane may change there tune.He was woefull.

Sandow is still better than a lot of guys in NRL and it would be in his own best intrest to leave and take a pay cut.

If he stays at parra next year in wenty his 2016 contract would probably be a 1 yr deal on very little.
If we can offload him now and pay all his contract for 2014 and nothing for next ear everyone wins.
Brisbane could offer him say 400 for next year for free this year -Sandow may loose a little but he could also play for a new contract too, rather than be 26 and ending his career

hindy111

Post Whore
out of curiosity how much could we sell his body parts for?
I mean two lungs-eyes-kidneys? We do own him right? Is this illegal, and how does if fall under the salary cap?

phantom eel

First Grade
Maybe's he's waiting for some Cronulla players to get ASADA bans mid-season, and he can nab a contract when Sharks will be desperate to form a squad?

Gronk

Staff member
I thinking that if Sandow doesn't get a bench gig this week then he never will.

MickRad

Juniors
I like Kelly, but surely Sandow is a better option right now.
Sure, we can look at selling him cause Kelly will improve, but for right now, Sandow would be very handy....
...and we can always drop him again if he's not..

Gronk

Staff member
I like Kelly, but surely Sandow is a better option right now.
Sure, we can look at selling him cause Kelly will improve, but for right now, Sandow would be very handy....
...and we can always drop him again if he's not..

I was talking about the hooker gig MickRad.

Kelly did good and won't lose his spot.

Delboy

First Grade
I like Sandow over Kelly, but he was asked to lead Wenty around the field on Saturday, but I heard he played his usual off the cuff game. Now what is needed I would think in our current team style.

Possibly he can come into the team if we play a different style against a particular side

Latest posts