What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow

boxhead

First Grade
Sandow really was the best available. From what I've seen throughout the season, he still goes missing like his whole team does when things don't go their way, difference is, Sandow never gives up and keeps trying to spark his team. That's one thing we definitely need. His defence is woeful for the most part, but I'm pretty confident that if we assign Ben Smith to be his "Tonie Carroll" protector 24/7 then it shouldn't be as much of an issue.
He has it where it counts in the long kicking department, not only does he lead the NRL in 40/20s but I am pretty sure a commentator on Foxsports says that, statistically, Sandow has the highest percentage of finding space with his long kicks. His short kicking game is also good. His passing game is good enough.
He will try to inspire his team with big shoulder charges and his grubbiness - getting into the face of the opposition - will be a great asset amongst a team of, for lack of a better term, 'softies'.

Overall, I think he will be our best buy in years. His ability to kick goals, play off the cuff and kick field goals as well just add to his value. I just hope he keeps up his good form and shows more consistency during his tenure here.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I can't understand why there are people who are upset with the signing tbh. Sure, he is rocks or diamonds a lot of the time...but when the kid is on, he's really on.

we got nothing but rocks, even a diamond now and then would be an improvement

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Sandow really was the best available. From what I've seen throughout the season, he still goes missing like his whole team does when things don't go their way, difference is, Sandow never gives up and keeps trying to spark his team. That's one thing we definitely need. His defence is woeful for the most part, but I'm pretty confident that if we assign Ben Smith to be his "Tonie Carroll" protector 24/7 then it shouldn't be as much of an issue.
He has it where it counts in the long kicking department, not only does he lead the NRL in 40/20s but I am pretty sure a commentator on Foxsports says that, statistically, Sandow has the highest percentage of finding space with his long kicks. His short kicking game is also good. His passing game is good enough.
He will try to inspire his team with big shoulder charges and his grubbiness - getting into the face of the opposition - will be a great asset amongst a team of, for lack of a better term, 'softies'.

Overall, I think he will be our best buy in years. His ability to kick goals, play off the cuff and kick field goals as well just add to his value. I just hope he keeps up his good form and shows more consistency during his tenure here.

Agree 100% with this, this kid will be our best buy in a long time. I hope come next year Hayne is moved to the back with Sandow and Roberts filling in the halves, Haynes running is IMO the best in the comp and is something we have been lacking this year as he has been playing first or second receiver.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Agree 100% with this, this kid will be our best buy in a long time. I hope come next year Hayne is moved to the back with Sandow and Roberts filling in the halves, Haynes running is IMO the best in the comp and is something we have been lacking this year as he has been playing first or second receiver.

But ask all the 'experts' in the forum: Hayne hasn't been backing up and supporting the playmakers this year. So he therefore must suck at that now :crazy:

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
But ask all the 'experts' in the forum: Hayne hasn't been backing up and supporting the playmakers this year. So he therefore must suck at that now :crazy:

Thats the thing, the past two years he has been playing the role of a 5/8 in attack because we have no genuine playmakers. Now a lot of people think Burty is the better fullback because he plays up the middle and supports his forwards. But little do people remember this is what Hayne was doing in 09.

Pazza

First Grade
but in 09 there was a lot more opportunity to support given the huge amount of second phase play.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Thats the thing, the past two years he has been playing the role of a 5/8 in attack because we have no genuine playmakers. Now a lot of people think Burty is the better fullback because he plays up the middle and supports his forwards. But little do people remember this is what Hayne was doing in 09.

Exactly.

Oh - and in 08, and in 07.... he's kind of good at it. But when you do all the playmaking it's hard to support yourself!

TheRam

Coach
Thurston and Marshall's defense has improved over the last couple of years.
Soward has improved slightly, but is mostly hidden very well next to Scott.

He certainly brings things to our side that we have been seriously lacking for years - all I'm saying is that I hope we can improve him where we can.....especially defense.

Maybe we can get the merkinness out of him too.

Are you kidding? The merkinness as you put it, is part of what makes him probably the most enjoyable player in the NRL to watch when it comes to characters on the field. I love the bloke.

I am still pinching myself that we are going to have both him and Hayne at Parra next year. If he shows the same sort of passion and playing ability on the field as he does for Souths(especially if he starts kissing our jersey, it may takes some time before he gets that sort of feeling for our team though) our fans will start to ooh and aah, then hyperventilate. I say again, are you kidding? We will love him!!!

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
but in 09 there was a lot more opportunity to support given the huge amount of second phase play.

True in 09 there was a lot of second phase play but we are also seeing that happen now.

I was critical at SK approach at the start of the year we where looking at safety first footy with structured play no offloads nothing, but now that we have mastered this we are now seeing second phase play happening this will only get better when we have a dominate attacking half.

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Are you kidding? The merkinness as you put it, is part of what makes him probably the most enjoyable player in the NRL to watch when it comes to characters on the field. I love the bloke.

I am still pinching myself that we are going to have both him and Hayne at Parra next year. If he shows the same sort of passion and playing ability on the field as he does for Souths(especially if he starts kissing our jersey, it may takes some time before he gets that sort of feeling for our team though) our fans will start to ooh and aah, then hyperventilate. I say again, are you kidding? We will love him!!!

Agree, this is something we have been missing, we need players like this that are ready and willing to put the big hits on and get in the face of other players. We have too many "nice guys" on our team.

Hayne is the only player that goes in for the big hits and plays with a bit of agro.

There's a difference between having passion and being a merkin.

Pulling off a big hit = passion.

Standing over the bloke and laughing at him afterwards = merkin.

Eels Dude

Coach

I disagree with the shoulder charge thing. I hope Kearney can coach those shoulder charges out of his game next year. Half the time he pulls it off, the other half a time he completely misses and leaves a yawning gap up the middle which the opposing side score off. Is it worth letting a little bloke like Sandow rush out of the line to put in shoulder charges if half the time he does it you concede 6 points as a result of it? I think not. I don't mind him being grubby in other ways though.

Jonzap

Juniors
Trust me guy's as a Souths Supporter I am spewing we are losing Sandow he is a game breaker. Good Luck to Parra.

rabbitohs 34 v dragons 24.jpg

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
I disagree with the shoulder charge thing. I hope Kearney can coach those shoulder charges out of his game next year. Half the time he pulls it off, the other half a time he completely misses and leaves a yawning gap up the middle which the opposing side score off. Is it worth letting a little bloke like Sandow rush out of the line to put in shoulder charges if half the time he does it you concede 6 points as a result of it? I think not. I don't mind him being grubby in other ways though.

He just needs to learn to pick and chose his time to apply the shoulder charge, Since Hayne has been playing in the defensive line he has been putting in the big hits but has chosen when to do so.

TheRam

Coach
There's a difference between having passion and being a merkin.

Pulling off a big hit = passion.

Standing over the bloke and laughing at him afterwards = merkin.

Or = Passion with attitude.

I think you are a little to precious mate. So many players pull off a huge hit on an opponent and get up giving their victim a gob full or smiling/laughing and pointing at them. That is all part of playing a brutally physical game. It is called one-upmanship in such a sport.

If you prefer a more gentlemanly sport though, feel free to go follow Tennis, where even the crowd can't say boo.

Eels Dude

Coach
He just needs to learn to pick and chose his time to apply the shoulder charge, Since Hayne has been playing in the defensive line he has been putting in the big hits but has chosen when to do so.

That's true but Hayne is a lot bigger and much better defender than Sandow to begin with. Even if Sandow picks the right time there's a strong chance it's not going to come off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It just means there's a time and a place to come out of the line.

He held the line yesterday against Cooper and was continually owned. But when your halfback is defending outside the centre, the two inside guys have to work extra hard to stop the ball getting out there in the first place.