What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saturday afternoon games.

Saturday afternoon games

• Total voters

tonesy87

Juniors
keep it! awesome feeling, worked until 2pm got home had a shower and by the time i laid on the couch pre game was on, relaxed all arvo/night on the couch

Valheru

Coach
I think Saturday is worth sticking with. Perhaps share it with the Sunday 6:30 slot, so the first and last quarter of the season go with Sunday night and the middle half where it is coldest go Sat arvo.

Iafeta

Referee
The game started at 5:30 over there anyway

The games are usually 7.30 on a Saturday or 2pm on a Sunday. Its one thing that we should consider IMO, whether it works for Auckland, if Auckland are to go through the Saturday new timeslot. The only reason I say that is the crowd to me was quite low.

eozsmiles

Bench
If they keep saturday arvo then they cut out a group of fans, in the same way they cut out fans by showing games at 930pm friday night.

Doesn't worry me which way they go because at various times of the year I'm going to miss a game whenever they play it.

It's probably a good idea to try and get some daylight games in the dead of winter, not so many at the start of the season obviously.

Diesel

Referee
It works for me too, Sat arvos are gifted to AFL as it is. Play the Saturday 3pm from May to August while its cooler and to attract younger fans and families.

newman

First Grade
I missed most of the game because the surf was pumping.

The 10 minutes I caught of it in the pub, it seemed very popular. Standing room only at the heathcote inn.

Nugget10

Juniors
I wouldn't worry about the Crowd in NZ. The Super Rugby Final was on that night and I suspect the Kiwis would've stayed home to watch it

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
happy for it to stay, was the 20's game shown before the 3pm game yesterday? If so 8 hours of league before heading out on sat night is not a bad day

DC_fan

Coach
The Canberra/Canterbury game drew 11,847 fans, which is not too bad. From television perspective it failed big time with just 122,000 viewers.

DC_fan

Coach
Was never gunna work for TV, unfortunately

You are not wrong. The 5.30pm game on Saturday and the 2pm game on Sunday don't pull big TV numbers either. That explains why we have so many night games, they draw better TV figures. If we want big TV money then we need to show games at a time when people will watch and sadly that's not during the day.

Next Saturday afternoon game is the Dragons against the Tigers at the SCG. The way both of those teams are playing I doubt the crowd will top 10,000. As for TV viewing numbers, well that may struggle to reach 100,000.

I have great doubts about the success of Saturday afternoon football. Because of the time slot it will only ever involve teams closer to the bottom of the competition then the top.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
You are not wrong. The 5.30pm game on Saturday and the 2pm game on Sunday don't pull big TV numbers either. That explains why we have so many night games, they draw better TV figures. If we want big TV money then we need to show games at a time when people will watch and sadly that's not during the day.

Next Saturday afternoon game is the Dragons against the Tigers at the SCG. The way both of those teams are playing I doubt the crowd will top 10,000. As for TV viewing numbers, well that may struggle to reach 100,000.

I have great doubts about the success of Saturday afternoon football. Because of the time slot it will only ever involve teams closer to the bottom of the competition then the top.

Its almost been setup for failure with the games that will feature. But I feel strongly that it should stay. As is the case across the world 3pm Saturday is prime attending timeslot for young male adults who we should be striving to make the cornerstone of every club's fanbase. Me being one of those.

yep Any day matches are fine for me, I work every Saturday driving from job to job....but listening to the 3pm match on the radio bought back memories of listening to matches on my transistor when I was a kid