What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#saveoursaints

Cooper-Man

Bench
Getting 1000 #SaveOurSaints shirts made. $10 each. No profit to be made. Need numbers to get it happening.

Last edited:

Redvpassion

Juniors
If Doust thinks that by listening to us, all will be forgiven, then he is delusional.

We have come to far to stop. 3rd day in we made the papers.

I SMELL FEAR. mighty RedV family. United we stand. #SaveOurSaints #Time4Change #WeWantVotingRights

saintjeff

Juniors
If Doust has the club at heart he should have the balls to leave.
They should have planned for the post Wayne era and they havent thats why we havent made the 8 for the last three and this year could well be four.The club is not rebuilding it is being demolished by Doust and the hierachy

possm

Coach
So they wouldn't pay one of the best wingers in the world 650 yet pay an over rated injury prone fullback a reported 700 no wonder the club is f**ked thats just ridiculous.

Mind you some of the reported amounts for others like Hunt and Rein is even more mind blowing.

B Morris had a go at fullback under Price and to me seemed to go well. We really didn't need to buy Dugan, we could have switched Brett to fullback and bought a prop or two.

Morris is a great example of what can happen if we had a decent coach. If he keeps it up there is a good possibility he will be the SOO fullback.

giboz71

First Grade
The elephant in the room is Josh Dugan. Reported to be on $700k. He was already diminishing in brilliance when we bought him. His best game was his 1 st against Parramatta in Wollongong then it's been a decline since then. Keep hearing all the excuses for his ordinary form. Coaching, position switch blah blah .Amazing in his young days now a shadow and I fear will be a $300k guy who held out and got an unbelievable deal.

For the record he was amazing at his best and at one time a great natural superstar. Nothing against Josh just believe the coin is way overs. Hope I'm wrong for our clubs sake.

This is the thing though. I just don't believe that elite players suddenly forget how to play. I think we can all agree that Marshall, Widdop, Dugan and Thompson that make up about $2million of our cap haven't justified their price tags.

But my question is, why were these players absolute guns in their previous teams?? Dugan is 24...he should be at the peak of his powers. Why was Soward and Scott who were rep players under Bennett, reduced to shadows of themselves under Price. And guess what, they are back to being rep players at their new clubs.

Their is just something amiss at the Dragons right now...whether its coaching or just simply a culture of losing? Gasnier was on NRL 360 last night shaking his head at what has happened...but he said the club had no choice but to stick to their plan (whatever it is??) and ride it out.

Such a sad state of affairs.

grouch

First Grade
This is the thing though. I just don't believe that elite players suddenly forget how to play. I think we can all agree that Marshall, Widdop, Dugan and Thompson that make up about $2million of our cap haven't justified their price tags.

But my question is, why were these players absolute guns in their previous teams??

Does it even need to be asked? Surely everyone recognises the answer by now.

#SaveOurSaints

possm

Coach
Does it even need to be asked? Surely everyone recognises the answer by now.

#SaveOurSaints

This all feels very familiar - back in the Price era. My view is the players are not buying what Mary is selling. The coaching staff have got it wrong and the players know the game plan is crap.

If a player dosent do as he's instructed he will get off side with the coach just like Soward did with Price. And if they stick to the game plan and lose the game - like the last two games, they are blamed by the coach and fans.

I say cut your losses now. Sack Mary and his coaching staff and bring in Bown and let him select his own staff.

Changaman

Juniors
Their is just something amiss at the Dragons right now...whether its coaching or just simply a culture of losing? Gasnier was on NRL 360 last night shaking his head at what has happened...but he said the club had no choice but to stick to their plan (whatever it is??) and ride it out.

Such a sad state of affairs.

While the focus is rightfully on Doust and McGregor, what has the role of Dean Young, Craig Young and Ben Hornby in all this. They have to wear some of it.

There is a theory going around that has the Youngs at the heart of this, destabling of the club culture, with the aim of getting Dean put in as head coach. Now I am not sure about this, but the Youngs and Hornby are pretty tight with Doust and it would explain a few things about the team culture over the last few years.

giboz71

First Grade
While the focus is rightfully on Doust and McGregor, what has the role of Dean Young, Craig Young and Ben Hornby in all this. They have to wear some of it.

There is a theory going around that has the Youngs at the heart of this, destabling of the club culture, with the aim of getting Dean put in as head coach. Now I am not sure about this, but the Youngs and Hornby are pretty tight with Doust and it would explain a few things about the team culture over the last few years.

I can't really comment on any of that, but I do agree that the problems go further than just Doust and Mary. We are just a losing club right now and have been for the last 3 years and we play accordingly.

Look at our young guys, Rein, De Belin, Runciman Stockwell (before he left), they have never known what its like to be part of a winning club. Compare them to similar players at the Roosters (Tuivasa Scheck, Cordner, Napa, Evans) or the Rabbits (Reynolds, Keary, Walker, Turner, Johnstone)

The differences in development between our guys and theirs is like chalk and cheese. And the reasons go beyond coaching for mine, its just our environment and culture is dismal right now and doesn't look like it will improve.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints have a pretty good spine (If the put L'Estrange at 9 and not Rein) and are not as bad in the playing stocks as people think. They are falling into the same bad habbits as Super Price. Looks like Mary is a clone to the clown Price.

People are taking it out on the board when it should be the 17 blokes on the field and the coach who have been given the opportunity to represent this great club. Surely selecting a team can't be that hard. A player underperforms he gets dropped, simple game. The centres have now had 2 games, Reins has had a thousand and should be playing in Cutters. Those 3 have had their chance give the young guys a go in Garvey, Runciman and Aitken. I would even throw Dufty a go at FB in place of Mata'utai. They seriously can;t play worse so what have they to lose.

grouch

First Grade
Saints have a pretty good spine (If the put L'Estrange at 9 and not Rein) and are not as bad in the playing stocks as people think. They are falling into the same bad habbits as Super Price. Looks like Mary is a clone to the clown Price.

People are taking it out on the board when it should be the 17 blokes on the field and the coach who have been given the opportunity to represent this great club. Surely selecting a team can't be that hard. A player underperforms he gets dropped, simple game. The centres have now had 2 games, Reins has had a thousand and should be playing in Cutters. Those 3 have had their chance give the young guys a go in Garvey, Runciman and Aitken. I would even throw Dufty a go at FB in place of Mata'utai. They seriously can;t play worse so what have they to lose.

Who picks the coach? Who approves that decision?

Come on Slippery. Be real.

twinkletoes

Juniors

Totally agree with promoting youth...we have not given the young talent any opportunities over the past 4 years. Also its time to get Addin Fonua Blake back in the playing ranks and groom him. From memory and I may be mistaken he has been charged but not pleaded guilty so he should be able to play pending further court action now the precedent has been set by Titans

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

All the more reason why we need the NRL to do whatever they did to the Tigers board, whether appointing one independent board member, or a whole new independent board.

I can't see any other way around this because we are just going around in circles now.

This theory about the Youngs is very believable. I heard Dean Young on the radio a few weeks back, he sounded like Mary did when he was assistant to Price, like he really had some ownership of the team, more so akin to a head coach, not an assistant.

mickeylane

Bench
Simple solutions:

• - Brian Johnston CEO
    - Mark Coyne Board
    - Browny - Coach
    - Establish a Legends Board to instill club passion to current team
    Graeme Wynn
    Ricky Walford
    Mark Coyne
    Steve Edge
    Rod Reddy
    Brian Johnson
    Graeme Langlands

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Simple solutions:

• - Brian Johnston CEO
    - Mark Coyne Board
    - Browny - Coach
    Graeme Wynn
    Ricky Walford
    Mark Coyne
    Steve Edge
    Rod Reddy
    Brian Johnson
    Graeme Langlands

• And what about the Illawarra side of the merger?
    IMO the NRL need to come in and appoint a totally independent board.

mickeylane

Bench
And what about the Illawarra side of the merger?
IMO the NRL need to come in and appoint a totally independent board.

We r in This mess because of the Illawarra connection bob Millward being the instigator of not offering Bennett a 5 year contract thinking his son would b the successor when Bennet left but Doust over ruling biard and appointing Price under advice from Bennet and we can't forget the dope Sean O Connor appointing Mcgregot!!

Let's b serious the brand is St George - there's n0 11 premierships in a row in Illawarras cupboard..

If we are really a new club then we Should stop talking about our past history and start the history lesson wheh the merger begun!

We can't have it both ways!!

possm

Coach
Simple solutions:

• - Brian Johnston CEO
    - Mark Coyne Board
    - Browny - Coach
    Graeme Wynn
    Ricky Walford
    Mark Coyne
    Steve Edge
    Rod Reddy
    Brian Johnson
    Graeme Langlands

• I'd rather see a private owner who appoints highly talanted business people to the Board of Management.

Put that together with a very talanted CEO and a very experienced coaching staff and we would be on our way back to greatness. I would keep Mulholland and let the rest go.

Your idea of a Dragons Legends Board is a great idea. Advice on some football issues could be a great help to the Board. And of course, liaison with players, mentoring and interation with players prior to games would be a great move.