What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW at odds with the Dogs

nqboy

First Grade
SMH
Brad Walter | June 3, 2008

sonnybillcontract_wideweb__470x260,0.jpg
Revealed … Sonny Bill Williams's Bulldogs contract.

THIS is the document that has created the chasm between Sonny Bill Williams and the Bulldogs and may lead to the NRL's most marketable player facing off against his club in court.

According to the five-year deal Williams signed in March last year, the 22-year-old superstar will receive the same money from the Bulldogs in 2012 as he does this season. And the annual payment of $400,000, which does not alter regardless of inflation, form or his status in the game, includes an amount in lieu of leave entitlements, superannuation and fringe benefits tax - leaving one of the NRL's biggest stars with about $200,000 a season after tax for the next five years.

After months of speculation about Williams's disillusionment with the deal and the club, the issue is set to finally come to a head tomorrow when his manager, Khoder Nasser, meets new Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg. Neither was involved in negotiating the contract, which Williams signed on the eve of the 2007 premiership kick-off after struggling to cope with the intense pressure and speculation that accompanied the protracted dealings.

But as the season wore on, Williams became more and more frustrated by the deal, and he approached Nasser to take over his affairs. At his meeting with Greenberg, Nasser - best known for managing former NRL star turned world champion boxer Anthony Mundine, whose $600,000-a-season deal at the time he walked out on St George Illawarra in 2000 has not been surpassed - is expected to challenge the validity of the contract.

It is believed Nasser has legal advice supporting his view, and a leading agent, who represents some of the biggest names in Australian sport, last night told the Herald he was stunned by the terms of Williams's contract with the Bulldogs.

"You would think that his money would go up over that amount of time, otherwise in real terms he is getting less and less each year," said the agent, who did not want to be named because he had not seen the contract in full. "Maybe if he was 31 years old and at the end of his career, it would be a good deal but not when you're 21 and one of the most marketable guys in the game. He probably isn't even at his peak yet, and usually when you do a deal like this you assume the market will go up as more money comes into the game."

Questions are expected to be asked about the circumstances that led to Williams signing for such a lengthy period and why the contract contains no provision for an increase in his pay over the term of the deal.

By re-signing, Williams turned his back on bigger offers that may have been available from rival clubs - as he did in 2005 when he rejected a deal with Super League club St Helens worth the equivalent of $900,000 to stay loyal to the Bulldogs for a further two years on far less money.

At the time his re-signing was announced on March 9 last year, the Herald reported that Williams had opted for the $2 million five-year deal over a more lucrative three-year contract worth $450,000 a season. "I always wanted a five-year deal because I don't want to go through this ever again," Williams told the Herald at the time. "I haven't been sleeping too well the last couple of weeks. I've been getting headaches."

In addition to his $400,000-a-season playing contract, Williams has a $50,000 third-party deal with one of the Bulldogs' sponsors - but that is not guaranteed for the full five years of the deal. He also has a personal sponsorship deal with Nike that was negotiated separately and would continue irrespective of whether he stayed with the club.

Since re-signing Williams, the Bulldogs have lost internationals Mark O'Meley and Willie Mason to the Bulldogs and halfback Brent Sherwin to English club Castleford, while former Test centre Willie Tonga will join North Queensland next season.

But the club predicted at the time that Williams would be a "magnet" to attract new recruits, and Brisbane hooker Michael Ennis was yesterday confirmed as the Bulldogs' latest signing, joining Broncos teammate and Queensland Origin prop Ben Hannant, who is reportedly on a three-year deal worth $1 million.

Greenberg said yesterday he wasn't yet sure of the details of tomorrow's meeting with Nasser, but he was looking forward to it. "I'm certainly hoping that this will be an opportunity for him to tell us if there are any issues and, if so, what those issues are," he said.

Asked about reports the Bulldogs planned to sue Williams for $3 million if he walked out on the remainder of his deal to play rugby union, Greenberg said: "What we have said is that we would take a dim view of anyone trying to entice a breach of contract. That was mainly aimed at the NZRU or French rugby union."

Think of it like Sonny. They front-loaded your contract.

Well, I dunno, don't sign the ****ing thing in the first place?

Hurry up and go to Union and take that wanker who you think is your manager, as against the reality of him being your master, with you.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
i'm sorry, who the hell is the media thinking to be publicising contracts? As for sonny, if he wants more money he can hit the road. Otherwise, honour his contract and get on with it. At the moment he's getting paid for sitting on the sideline ffs!

smeghead

Bench
How different is this to a normal contract?

Poor Sonny wants to make $400k after tax does he??

He and his dero looking **** of a manager can both **** off to Union or anywhere else. You think you are bigger than the game than **** off you arrogant merkin.

t-ba

Post Whore
i'm sorry, who the hell is the media thinking to be publicising contracts? As for sonny, if he wants more money he can hit the road. Otherwise, honour his contract and get on with it. At the moment he's getting paid for sitting on the sideline ffs!

Take that back a step or two...

...The Media is there to sell papers. It's hardly their fault SBW's manager is a grub who wants him to break his current deal so he can get his paws on the 10%.

Wicks

Juniors
SBWs former manager is to blame having him sign such a poor contract

The Bulldogs should have been running to renegotiate with SBW after Mason left

Really really dumb management on both sides

Take that back a step or two...

...The Media is there to sell papers. It's hardly their fault SBW's manager is a grub who wants him to break his current deal so he can get his paws on the 10%.

And thats who is driving all this. Nasser.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it was Braith's contract details you wouldn't be saying that.

no name

Referee
SBWs former manager is to blame having him sign such a poor contract

The Bulldogs should have been running to renegotiate with SBW after Mason left

Really really dumb management on both sides

I think this sitution highlights the fact that there are alot of people out there willing to take advantage of young players.

Bad advice from his first manager, (signing the contract), followed by bad advice from his current manager (going public and looking greedy)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
unit- i don't think anyone's contact should be public property. Not impressed that it's anybody's being publicised let alone sonny's. I still think he's better off without nasser though.

Gus22

Juniors
Who ever was SBW's manager at the time the contract was signed should never work as a player agent again. $400K INCLUDING leave, super, & FBs is laughable for someone of SBWs caliber & age.

Maybe SBW could look at suing his former manager on the grounds of gross incompetence (or something similar). The Bulldogs have done nothing wrong other than advantage of an incompetent agent. Unless SBW signed the contract under duress, surely he has no case against the Dogs.

as everybody else has said......he signed the contract, be a man and honour it.....bloody hell i hope the dogs make him honour it

lets put this into perspective, $200,000 dollars a year equals $3,846.15 a week (after tax). there is somthing wrong if you cant pay a mortgage, pay your bills, feed and water yourself and set yourself up for your future on that money.....there is also the free lunches and dinners that the club throws on when they train, wich would make his expenses less again

imo these players have nothing to whinge about, they should cop their $3800 per week for doing somthing they want to do, and shut their traps

Dogaholic

First Grade
The deal Gavin Orr agreed to was 3 years.
Sonny insisted that he didn't want to go through this again and wouldn't sign unless they made it 5 years.

Who is at fault?

Latest posts