What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

Perth Red

Post Whore
true but there is something about being fair to your teammates, club and fans. It is the unwritten "honour" system of team sports, even at a professional level. Walking out whilst under contract for no other reason than money seems to strike at the very heart of mateship and team bond. The fact it was to RU probably made it even worse! Only other player I can think of similiar would be Jamie Lyon when he bailed but at least he went home, not to another code for more money.

Cliffhanger

Coach
So Rorters fans love $BW now? I bet that wasn't the case when he left. And what if he isn't going to the Rorters? I'd laugh if it turns out he is going to Penriff or somewhere else. The Rorters fans would turn on him in an instant.

To be honest, I thought the whole reaction to him leaving was over the top. Even if he doesn't play for us, I will not be joining the Sonny lynch mob ever. He wasn't the first player to walk out on a contract and believe he was justified in doing so.

Plus, I think it''s funny Dogs fans whinge about him dishonouring a deal, *ahem* salary cap.

I would rather a player walk out on my club than start playing terrible football because he didn't give a f**k any more.

Doga

Juniors
To be honest, I thought the whole reaction to him leaving was over the top. Even if he doesn't play for us, I will not be joining the Sonny lynch mob ever. He wasn't the first player to walk out on a contract and believe he was justified in doing so.

Plus, I think it''s funny Dogs fans whinge about him dishonouring a deal, *ahem* salary cap.

Politis & his brown paper bags. Pot, Kettle etc :sarcasm:

As for the reaction, only someone who does not value Rugby League would welcome this moron back. That'll be the Roosters!!

Cliffhanger

Coach

As for the reaction, only someone who does not value Rugby League would welcome this moron back. That'll be the Roosters!!

There is no proof of the Roosters rorting the salary cap, it's just a rumour Dogs' fans especially seem to like to sread because they are still struggling to come to terms with their own shame. Seriously look at our side in 2002, a majority of those players were nothing before joining us or started their NRL careers with us.

Oh cry me a river!

Seriously, grow the f**k up, if anything, Politis has proven time again, he bleeds for Rugby League.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Not true. I have no love for the Roosters and plenty for the Dogs, but I welcome SBW back...

But I am a Kiwi...

If he plays Origin and then for AUstralia in RLWC as opposed to the Kiwis, I shall consider burning an effigy of him...

Doga

Juniors
There is no proof of the Roosters rorting the salary cap, it's just a rumour Dogs' fans especially seem to like to sread because they are still struggling to come to terms with their own shame. Seriously look at our side in 2002, a majority of those players were nothing before joining us or started their NRL careers with us.

Oh cry me a river!

Seriously, grow the f**k up, if anything, Politis has proven time again, he bleeds for Rugby League.

If you want this moron to make a mockery of your silly little club, I guess that is your business.

I guess Roosters + SBW are a perfect match in that sense.

Not true. I have no love for the Roosters and plenty for the Dogs, but I welcome SBW back...

But I am a Kiwi...

If he plays Origin and then for AUstralia in RLWC as opposed to the Kiwis, I shall consider burning an effigy of him...

Pretty much voids your opinion

Cliffhanger

Coach
It will be nothing like the mockery the Bulldogs have made of the NRL over the last 10 years, I assure you.

Pierced Soul

First Grade

he didnt just "walk out" he pissed off overseas without telling his teamates. they're expecting the merkin to turn up at training and he's on a plane to france. he didnt negotiate a release with the club he just went. kinda like you one day walking out of work and going to work at another company without even telling anyone

i'm not a dogs fan, Im a rugby league fan first and foremost and what he did to the game was disgraceful. whilst i dont like players going to yawnion, the others who went didnt just walk out mid-season without telling their teamates or officials, they were either off contract (or in gasniers situation executed a clause (i believe)

Doga

Juniors
he didnt just "walk out" he pissed off overseas without telling his teamates. they're expecting the merkin to turn up at training and he's on a plane to france. he didnt negotiate a release with the club he just went. kinda like you one day walking out of work and going to work at another company without even telling anyone

i'm not a dogs fan, Im a rugby league fan first and foremost and what he did to the game was disgraceful. whilst i dont like players going to yawnion, the others who went didnt just walk out mid-season without telling their teamates or officials, they were either off contract (or in gasniers situation executed a clause (i believe)

The week before he pissed off to France, The Bulldogs had a Polynesian day set up. The pretty much did it for him as he wanted more poly involvement. SBW faked injury so he wouldn't play in the match against the Warriors and the large number of polynesians that turned up. all because the French Rugby Club did not want him to play another match.

He didn't just not tell anyone. I went to the thing at Uralla the afternoon before he got on the plane where he was talking to kids and the media etc. He was talking about the Dogs' next game against St Merge like he was going to be there and even talking about playing for NZ at the end of the year. The whole time he knew he was on the plane in about 12 hours. He obviously sold Nein a story too because he was there as part of a Footy Show piece, which clearly wouldn't have happened had they known what he was up to. They probably even paid him to go up there or something.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

I am starting to think that Contract Law should be compulsory learning for kids in schools. Contracts for services do not turn people into slaves until the expiry of the contract, as many fans feels about their players.

It is everyone's retained right to break a contract for services at any time at the risk of damages where specific performance should not be awarded.

That is the defensible morality of business, also known as 'efficient breach'.

Have your own view on morality, that's fine, but business is business.

Cliffhanger

Coach
At my last full time jobI didn't come back after going on leave. I was overseas and two weeks didn't feel like enough. So at the end of the two weeks I emailed my manager telling her I didn't get on my flight.. I have no regeets. I tried to quit months earlier and she guilted me into staying. Nobody benefits from forcing an employee who is miserable to stay.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Quote from the NZ Herald:

Captain_RossT said: "The fact that SBW is the first pro sportsman to treat pro-sports clubs like they have been treating players for 30 years makes me laugh.

I don't think he is the first, but perhaps the highest profile...

BODISGOD

Bench
Quote from the NZ Herald:

I don't think he is the first, but perhaps the highest profile...

In fairness though, unlike for example NFL contracts where teams can pretty much can "contracts" at various points of the year, with most sport's clubs they have to honour them

For example;

Bogarde signed for Chelsea in 2000?01. Only weeks after signing his contract with the club, newly-appointed manager Claudio Ranieri wanted the player to leave.[6]

According to Bogarde, it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea; he was astounded at the salary the club had agreed on, as his value depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action. He decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter (as he could not get a similar salary anywhere else) and appearing to training every day, but only played for the team very sparingly.[7] Of his contract he said, "Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract." In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Furthermore, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season.[8]

After playing as a substitute against Ipswich Town on Boxing Day in 2000,[9] Bogarde only made one more appearance for Chelsea's first team before his contract expired in July 2004; it was also made from the bench, against Gillingham for the season's League Cup, on 6 November 2002.[10]

During his period at Chelsea, the club repeatedly tried to offload Bogarde because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to the reserve and youth teams in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. He also became a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness.[11] Of the derision he received at the hands of the press, Bogarde responded, 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'[12]

King:lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
In fairness though, unlike for example NFL contracts where teams can pretty much can "contracts" at various points of the year, with most sport's clubs they have to honour them

For example;

King:lol:

No they don't, the clubs can elect to pay damages, which would presumably be the amount owing under the contract minus what the player signs to earn elsewhere... Or the entire amount, if noone else wants him as per Bogarde... in which case, you might as well improve your reserve grade side..

Last edited:

BODISGOD

Bench
No they don't, the clubs can elect to pay damages, which would presumably be the amount owing under the contract minus what the player signs to earn elsewhere... Or the entire amount, if noone else wants him as per Bogarde... in which case, you might as well improve your reserve grade side..

Damages being of course of the same monetary value as you yourself just stated. They can't just chuck you onto the street or leave their contractual obligations, that was my point.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Damages being of course of the same monetary value as you yourself just stated. They can't just chuck you onto the street or leave their contractual obligations, that was my point.

Yes, they can just 'leave'(breach) their contractual obligations and chuck a player 'onto the street', but damages is the remedy for the player by way of compensation, on an expectation basis, if the club does do so.

"Damages" and "Contractual Obligations" are separate and distinct legal ideas. Breaching a contractual obligation gives rise to a cause of action which will (subject to any possible specific performance being possible and sought) result in the remedy of damages, as of right, but the amount is subject to many factors... eg remoteness, mitigation, etc...

Last edited:

Latest posts