What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

BODISGOD

Bench
Yes, they can just 'leave'(breach) their contractual obligations and chuck a player 'onto the street', but damages is the remedy for the player by way of compensation, on an expectation basis, if the club does do so.

"Damages" and "Contractual Obligations" are separate and distinct legal ideas. Breaching a contractual obligation gives rise to a cause of action which results in the remedy of damages, as of right, but the amount is subject to many factors... eg remoteness, mitigation, etc...

I know all about Contract Law buddy, well not really 1st year dossing in Uni...:D

Of course they can dump him, but there are damages. They cannot simply dump a player under contract without there being full comp for that. Obviously mitigation and the rest come in but contracts are contracts. We aren't really arguing over anything here.

In fairness I can understand the central tenet of what this guy is saying and I do think he has balls in risking himself on one year deals. Living by the sword of pro sport and dying by it...

BODISGOD

Bench
Yes, they can just 'leave'(breach) their contractual obligations and chuck a player 'onto the street', but damages is the remedy for the player by way of compensation, on an expectation basis, if the club does do so.

"Damages" and "Contractual Obligations" are separate and distinct legal ideas. Breaching a contractual obligation gives rise to a cause of action which results in the remedy of damages, as of right, but the amount is subject to many factors... eg remoteness, mitigation, etc...

I know all about Contract Law buddy, well not really 1st year dossing in Uni...:D No need for the attempt at patronising, I'm on a forum now not in the office

Of course they can dump him, but there are damages. They cannot simply dump a player under contract without there being full comp for that. Obviously mitigation and the rest come in but contracts are contracts. We aren't really arguing over anything here.

In fairness I can understand the central tenet of what this guy is saying and I do think he has balls in risking himself on one year deals. Living by the sword of pro sport and dying by it...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I know all about Contract Law buddy, [1] well not really 1st year dossing in Uni...:D

[2] Of course they can dump him, but there are damages. They cannot simply dump a player under contract without there being full comp for that. Obviously mitigation and the rest come in but contracts are contracts. We aren't really arguing over anything here.

[3] In fairness I can understand the central tenet of what this guy is saying and I do think he has balls in risking himself on one year deals. Living by the sword of pro sport and dying by it...

1 ???
2 tentatively agreed
3 I don't think that is what he was saying, it is what you're saying, but I agree with you 100%. For all the SBW hate, noone acknowledges the risks he has been taking or continue to take with the 'One Year deals', even if it opens up the beneficial possibility of Japan and then NRL and then possibly back to NZ Union...

I'm with you on YOUR point, 100%.

My interpretation of the other guy was that he was just talking about the fact that Pro-Sport employers are very 'limited' (dubious or selective may be better words) in their loyalty and commitment to players in seeking returns in dropping their offered price, dumping them altogether and signing others... (as well as not keeping their "oral" and "un-evidenced" promises of pay increases next contract...) so why should the players be held to any different moral standards...

Last edited:

BODISGOD

Bench
I did law in college and Contract was 1st year so not exactly my most well applied year of study.:D

The guy certainly has a point at youth levels where clubs and sports orgs often imo don't live upto the commitments they give. The higher up the food chain it's all business, imo of course...I don't believe in the loyalty thing but being open and transparent is the only right way. SBW has gone that way now since his disgraceful Bulldogs antics..

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Does anyone actually know SBW is signing a one year contract only. He may be signing a longer term deal than speculated.

He's getting reportedly (NZD) $1,700,000 to play 12 games in Japan, and $800,000 to play for the Roosters...

He may stay in League longer than a year, two at the most, but I doubt he would be signing a multi-year contract... I fear he'll be wanting some more of the Japanese currency between NRL seasons, possibly at the cost of representing the Kiwis...

He'll also want to return for Union World Cup... and then back to France or Japan, so why would he sign a long term deal for League when he can earn more than double that in France or Japan...

kmav23

Juniors
There has been worse things done in sports by both players and clubs...

as long as he plays well people will forgive... e.g todd carney after his 100th mistake

Love or hate him .... his an amazing athlete...playing both codes for your country plus boxing

kmav23

Juniors
Ironically ... the bulldogs tried to get sign him up again..

and many bulldogs players said they would welcome him back....

Play well and all is forgiven.. hehe

Usain Bolt

Bench
This thread is full of tradies and fast food workers jealous that a bloke left his job for another job which paid 3 times as much. Like they wouldn't do it of they had the chance:lol:

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Until he leaves again...

[youtube]2fP9hW7655U&feature=related[/youtube]

The observant rock fans could rightly theorise why I selected that version... (and it is not boob related which would be this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMHhZmGLKc)

Last edited:

Doga

Juniors

according to....???

Weidler? Khoder? Mundine maybe?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The worst part about this for me is that he won't train an entire off season with the team like every other player. It's just wrong.

I don't care if he boxes here or there. Good for promotion.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Does anyone actually know SBW is signing a one year contract only. He may be signing a longer term deal than speculated.
He's not going to be missing the rugby world cup. The Roosters are renting him for one season.

It's going to end in tears.

Is he going to stick around the whole year if by round 15 or 20 they're out of contention for the finals?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
He's not going to be missing the rugby world cup. The Roosters are renting him for one season.

It's going to end in tears.

Is he going to stick around the whole year if by round 15 or 20 they're out of contention for the finals?

As a Kiwis fan I want him at the World Cup, but I have to admit that I am concerned about the yen factor before another possible Super Rugby stint.

Teddyboy

First Grade
He reminds of a Heavyweight Boxer champion of world in one of the belt's (i.e.WBA, WBC and IBF) back in the early to mid 1980's who wouldn't unify the title.
He make Japanese Rugby look like Touch Rugby.
Never liked the guy when suddenly he became Muslim.

Latest posts