What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW is the most talented player in the world of Rugby

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Engine said:
I knew someone would come up with the "weak opposition" argument. If that is the case, why have we not seen a better individual performance against the roosters this season? Teams like Melbourne and Manly have played them, yet no player in those teams performed better than Sonny.
For any number of reasons. (a) There wasn't any need for brilliant individualist performances when merely adequate performances were seen to guarantee victory, (b) aforementioned star players weren't sufficiently motivated, or (c) SBW really is just that good.

It's ridiculous to label any player the 'most talented in the world' on the basis of a single performance, irrespective of how good it was, precisely because any number of conditions are necessary to create such a performance.

Engine said:
Im a little tired of the SBW bashing. He is the most talented player in Rugby League.
I'm tired of a lot of things, but that isn't going to make them go away. No player has ever been so talented that his pre-eminence has been recognised by all - best get used to people dumping on Sonny Bill, because it'll be happening for a long time to come.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
ShadesOfTheSun said:
It's ridiculous to label any player the 'most talented in the world' on the basis of a single performance

What does this have to do with a "single performance"?

This is clearly an accumulation....brilliant early career performances, injury problems, then working his way back into form, and then over the past 8 weeks or so a mixture of performances ranging from good to great...

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
What does this have to do with a "single performance"?

This is clearly an accumulation....brilliant early career performances, injury problems, then working his way back into form, and then over the past 8 weeks or so a mixture of performances ranging from good to great...
I was responding to Engine's post, in which it was contended that the poorness of the opposition could not be seen to detract from SBW's performance since other great players who had played against the Roosters had failed to dominate to the same extent. I was not arguing against the proposition that SBW is the most talented player in the world, but the idea that such was evident in tonight's performance.

parra_jesus

Juniors
if he can stay injurie free and keep up his current form , he can be just the x factor the doggies need to make a finals charge.

Nathan B

Juniors
If he keeps up this sort of form, he might just crack it into the top 20 in the game and join the likes of the great Todd Carney.

mattyg

Bench
tiger_nick said:
2007 has been his best year imo, been absolutely brillant in just about every game.

yep i agree, and he hasn't had the injuries that he was getting in 04 and 05. He was looking great in 05 before his 2 major injuries.

BlueFenix

Juniors
The boy is quality and he's ours. I bet there is not one fan out there that would not want SBW in their team.

Mwahahahahaha!

Ice777

Bench
aqua_duck said:
Sonny is good but I'd rather have Greg Inglis

Agreed. I think SBW is a very good player when he's up and you can call me bias, but if someone said you i could either have him or Greg Inglis in my team i'd go GI every single time he was offered.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Agreed. I think SBW is a very good player when he's up and you can call me bias, but if someone said you i could either have him or Greg Inglis in my team i'd go GI every single time he was offered.

Inglis does appear to be more consistent and less injury prone.

Time will tell whos better. Telent wise there is nothing between them.

JJ

Immortal
I don't get the criticisms of him... He's an amazing talent, you only have to watch him to see that. To me he offers a lot more than Inglis.