What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

Micistm

Bench
See it? Any thoughts?

I actually thought he came across better than he has for ages, probably the best since the 60minutes (or was it 20/20?) years ago.
Maybe there's a maturity sinking in, or some better PR training.

A strong hint of heading to NZ for Rugby...if he did do that, at a pay loss to follow his AB dream-And didn't do a runner if it got tough...he might win some respect back.

Time will tell.

Maybe Gary Grrr could go to France to fill in the vacancy!:lol:

LeagueNut

First Grade
I thought it was too scripted TBH ... when he started talking about how RL players "only get 23% of the money generated by the game" I could picture Mundine standing next to the camera holding cue cards.

My guess is that he won't come back to NZ, the lure of the overseas dollars will win out in the end.

Micistm

Bench
True that, when SBW started talking percentages it sounded a bit like a cue card rehearsed thing...and I'm waiting to see where he goes from here...his actions in the next few months will tell us if he's sincere or coached by a PR team. Not a Union fan all that much personally, but as mentioned before if he was to come back here at a big pay cut, that may change my view on him a bit. But it all depends on what happens. Should he come back here and start arriving to training in Limos (perhaps a new boat in the driveway?!)we can assume that his pay packet will be bigger than assumed and that the pay cut was sweetened somewhat with 'bonuses.' Then I won't be so convinced it's all about 'following the dream.'

Some of these so called 'superstars' of the game are getting pretty ****ing tiresome now with primadonna antics and demands of more pay...and the likes of Thurston who thinks he can talk to officials any way he likes-and obviously is right.
Let's see what happens this week with two NRL darlings up on charges. Will Slater and Hayne be available for SOO 2? The cynic in me is thinking yes.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Some of these so called 'superstars' of the game are getting pretty ****ing tiresome now with primadonna antics and demands of more pay
Agree, but I can sort of see their point as well. To me it's pretty strange that the NRL supposedly can't compete with AFL dollars when Rugby League just seems to be a much better "product". Surely as a game it would generate the same level of $$$, if not more?

Martli

Coach
The thing with AFL is that they get a lot more people to their games, and they have have much higher club membership than league. The NRL on the other hand, has much higher TV ratings. The difference is that AFL tends to be a game that people would rather watch at the stadium whereas more people watch league on the TV. I think that is probably partly why AFL seems to have more cash floating around. Another reason could be administration: the consensus amongst AFL and NRL fans alike is that the AFL is much better administrated. Again, this may have something to do with it.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
The thing with AFL is that they get a lot more people to their games, and they have have much higher club membership than league. The NRL on the other hand, has much higher TV ratings. The difference is that AFL tends to be a game that people would rather watch at the stadium whereas more people watch league on the TV. I think that is probably partly why AFL seems to have more cash floating around. Another reason could be administration: the consensus amongst AFL and NRL fans alike is that the AFL is much better administrated. Again, this may have something to do with it.

the reason afl have more money is because league sold themselves short in a big way on the tv deal...more so than any other reason

Micistm

Bench
the reason afl have more money is because league sold themselves short in a big way on the tv deal...more so than any other reason

Exactly, their hands are tied until the contract is up and can renegotiate it. There probably is a bit more money there, but the hard fact is many clubs are struggling now.
If the likes of smith, thurston, hayne & co got exactly what they wanted you'd see some clubs go bust. Is it worth it? It's not like they're struggling, it's a case of getting jealous when looking at other codes. But then, if you were an AFL player coming up through the ranks and a star in that code, how well would it go down seeing a Folau being paid $$$ as an unproven PR move?

IMO there are some faults both ways, greed on both sides-But I admit I'm heavily swayed towards NRL than players. I never got over being called 'spoilt kids' by Glen Lazurus during the superleague wars when he packed a snot some fans walked away for a while.
Where I think the NRL could help is in the third party deals, loosen them a little maybe. Where I think players could help is by pulling their heads in a bit!

Iafeta

Referee
Now now, come on fellas. Didn't you hear Israel Falou? He said "ummm... and stuff... and ummm... for the money, ya know bro?" :sarcasm:

Brad Fittler recapped in commentary "Falou is not snuffalulffal money so it's all good Pad"

Drzoidberg

Juniors
IMO loyalty is a one way street in league, players have to show their loyal to the game and their club to get respect from almost everyone. Do the players get rewarded for staying loyal? For taking less than their potential market value, for sacrificing mostly an easier job (NRL being toughest comp, better code need I say more?) for less cash.

I think thats where the problem is.

Take Greg Bird for instance fired from the sharks because he alledgly glassed his missus, dont you think the club shouldve stood by Greg as innocent until proven guilty?

Apparently no it might damage the image of the game if found guilty, tell me where is the loyalty in that?

The game already was as damaged as it could get unless he was proven guilty and still played.

Stand him down yes until he can assure you he's innocent, dont chop him because your unhappy with what alledgly went on.

Sudden change in circumstance, cut loose, loyaless

Fired, contract torn up no compromise.

Or how about Fien? Willing to stay and play, wanted another contract sorry son Cleary dont like you, you can go to the Vulcans.

Players expected to stay loyal when they are wanted, but when the clubs want to cut you lose they can do so as they please or they push you to ask for a release.

Or how about Webb, sorry son we have found your replacment. Time to look elsewhere. We dont want you.

But when a player wants to leave or have contract upgrade due to change in circumstance he is expected to bite his toungue and stay put. Your on enough.

Fans are connected to clubs not players, so when a player does wrong by the club, fans go crazy...but when a club does wrong by a player it is forgotten about....fast

So is it really that wrong these superstars are asking for more money since they are staying loyal? They are getting the short end of the stick in regards to if the player dont hold up their side of the bargain (e.g get seriously injured, lose form, age too fast) clubs will cut you loose, but if the club dont hold up their side of the bargain, tough sh*t! you cant leave! or we will sue and ban you!

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
IMO loyalty is a one way street in league, players have to show their loyal to the game and their club to get respect from almost everyone. Do the players get rewarded for staying loyal? For taking less than their potential market value, for sacrificing mostly an easier job (NRL being toughest comp, better code need I say more?) for less cash.

I think thats where the problem is.

Take Greg Bird for instance fired from the sharks because he alledgly glassed his missus, dont you think the club shouldve stood by Greg as innocent until proven guilty?

Apparently no it might damage the image of the game if found guilty, tell me where is the loyalty in that?

The game already was as damaged as it could get unless he was proven guilty and still played.

Stand him down yes until he can assure you he's innocent, dont chop him because your unhappy with what alledgly went on.

What he was cut for was trying to distort a police investigation by trying to concoct a lie to cover himself (using his friend, no less).

For the record, at the start of the process, Greg Bird was stood down by Cronulla from first grade (IE still employed).

Sudden change in circumstance, cut loose, loyaless

Fired, contract torn up no compromise.

Greg also had committed various other breaches prior to him leaving the club. Wasn't Greg also barred by the NRL, ala Tevita Latu?

Bare in mind that initially, pre-appeal, Greg was found guilty on two counts.

Also bare in mind that the Warriors themselves maintained their agreement with Michael Crockett when he was up for sexual misconduct charges. It's not always clear cut, as I'm sure now you are beginning to see.

Or how about Fien? Willing to stay and play, wanted another contract sorry son Cleary dont like you, you can go to the Vulcans.
Nathan had every opportunity to see out his contract in reserve grade, and I'm sure when opportunities arose with injuries such as now he would have got a game here and there. IIRC, the year before the Warriors had decided to let him pursue opportunities in the UK, but then he played himself into being kept so to speak.

The release was initiated by Nathan. He did not want to see out the term of his contract playing reserve grade. The Warriors didn't really have to release him. All his contract would have said is that you are employed by the Warriors for seasons XYZ, for XYZ pay, to be available to play first grade. I doubt seriously that there is any requirement for the Warriors to pick a player in first grade.

Players expected to stay loyal when they are wanted, but when the clubs want to cut you lose they can do so as they please or they push you to ask for a release.

Or how about Webb, sorry son we have found your replacment. Time to look elsewhere. We dont want you.
Not quite correct. Brent wanted a certain pay. He, at a guess, was using the 'representative' ploy to up his pay. The Warriors deemed they could get the equivalent cheaper, and did. Brent didn't lose out. He got a cushy contract with Leeds and the Warriors got a similar player at less cost.

But when a player wants to leave or have contract upgrade due to change in circumstance he is expected to bite his toungue and stay put. Your on enough.
The Warriors have upgraded a fair few contracts mid term. A lot of clubs will do it, particularly for young blokes they see as being critical to the future. Of course, with young players its a lottery but the clubs look at their top 2-3 and generally provide them upgrades, often well before their contract is up.

Fans are connected to clubs not players, so when a player does wrong by the club, fans go crazy...but when a club does wrong by a player it is forgotten about....fast
In none of your circumstances has the club done wrong by the player.

Webb's contract was up, he wanted more money which the Warriors didn't think they would be maximum value, so they went for a slightly cheaper player and Webb got a bumped up contract that he thought he was worth in the UK.

Bird committed a series of breaches under the Sharks code of contract and then proceeded to purge himself in a police investigation. Subsequently, the Sharks hands would have been tied anyway seeing as Bird was temporarily deregistered by the NRL.

Fien's contract, like McKinnon's, was being honoured. He was still getting paid etc. Both wanted to look for more secure first grade options. The Warriors again legally were under no obligation to support their request for releases, but did so anyway realising it was in the interests of both parties.

So is it really that wrong these superstars are asking for more money since they are staying loyal? They are getting the short end of the stick in regards to if the player dont hold up their side of the bargain (e.g get seriously injured, lose form, age too fast) clubs will cut you loose, but if the club dont hold up their side of the bargain, tough sh*t! you cant leave! or we will sue and ban you!
Who has lost their contract for lost form? They may have lost opportunities to play first grade, but who has had their contract axed on the back of poor form?

I think you need to realise that's contracts are bi-party agreements. The agreement is simply that you are available for a club for a certain period of time for a certain pay. The players do not have to sign these agreements. They can test their value in the market, as was the case with Brent Webb. Acceptance to me is acceptance that you will do your best for the club for the declared pay. It all seems a bit simple to me.

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
IMO loyalty is a one way street in league,

dead right, and it seems it only applies to players and not clubs/administrators.

Wish SBW the best, he'd make an awesome centre/2nd 5/8 with the AB's..

Skinner

Coach
dead right, and it seems it only applies to players and not clubs/administrators.

Wish SBW the best, he'd make an awesome centre/2nd 5/8 with the AB's..

They are welcome to him.....a puppet on a string - wonder what happened to Sandy Shaw....

ozreece77

Juniors
He wont come to NZ.
They dont call him $onny Bill Williams for nothing.
Plus he had to borrow a sh*tload of money off Mundine to get out of his bulldogs contract.
He wil go to the highest bidder and i cant see that being the NZRFU.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
I have to say some well said stuff Iafeta and I see where your point of view but you have well missed the mark on what point I was trying to make.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Players see the rewards of loyalty far past when their playing days finish, if you want a few current examples of that guys like Hindmarsh, Menzies, Lockyer and El Masri will be very well looked after by the game for many years to come. Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler are a couple of current examples of that