What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Players see the rewards of loyalty far past when their playing days finish, if you want a few current examples of that guys like Hindmarsh, Menzies, Lockyer and El Masri will be very well looked after by the game for many years to come. Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler are a couple of current examples of that

True never thought of it like that. I guess all that is thought about is cash make/save.

Still only a selected few will be looked after.

Meth

Staff member
We are living in between two peaks- sport is not amateur any more and we haven't really fully realized the realities of the professional game.

In the professional game we treat the players as commodities, but then we expect the loyalty of the amateur game. There's something terribly hypocritical about the high moral ground the game takes

Skinner

Coach
Nope, English.
You're thinking of Sandy Edmonds. (I think).
Had a hit with "Daylight Savings Time". (No 158 on the milking shed top 200.)

I was deeply in love with Sandy Edmonds. A very gorgeous couple of hits wonder girl.

Rich, you are showing our age here :sarcasm:

Drzoidberg

Juniors
We are living in between two peaks- sport is not amateur any more and we haven't really fully realized the realities of the professional game.

In the professional game we treat the players as commodities, but then we expect the loyalty of the amateur game. There's something terribly hypocritical about the high moral ground the game takes

Exactly Meth fully agree.

ozbash

Referee

:clap::clap:

in a nutshell meth.

Nah, a short arse blonde pom who had no shoes :D

ok, I'm thinking of Dinah Lee ?? maybe....

Rich102

Staff member
I would just like to formally announce that I have completely lost it.

You thank.

Wasn't he Secretary General of the UN?

(Alison was a Westlake Girl.)

Oh, And we're not old - just experianced.:D

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Geez maybe it was more than the pay check that made him leave the bulldogs afterall.

Makes more logical sense he was unhappy at the dogs about the new expectations forced on his shoulders, after he had signed. voiced his opinion nothing happened, a stress free option comes up, so he left without saying a word.

He would've looked so much better if he told his team mates. Its the only part I have against Sonny. He aint an axe murderer or kiddy fiddler but by the way some go on, you would think so.

But I guess thats what happens when we look from the outside in and have the media acting like an older brother, where we believe what they say but most of it is fibs.

Seemed pretty stupid in the first place to have all that drama, the hate campaign and all plus pay the dogs $750k, all for the reported $300 or so K extra from his dog contract he was getting at Toulon.

The $750k payout he had to do wouldve probably brought him under his annual at the dogs, just maybe his tax in France may have made it a little better.

Some young players are bound to crumble, especially when your extreme talent becomes a burden.I do agree there is a right way and a wrong way
but I also believe in redemption.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
mundine paid the $750k...sonny has a deal to fight on afew of his undercards in return of the payment

Iafeta

Referee
The old blinkered approach comes out I see...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/3782261/Sonny-Bill-move-is-coup-for-NZRU

OPINION: It's not like winning the World Cup but this feels close to it.
The decision by Sonny Bill Williams to come to New Zealand is a triumph for not just the NZRU or Graham Henry but for the whole country.
For too long we have seen our best rugby union and league stars head overseas, chasing the big money and putting this ahead of representing their country.
But Williams' decision to turn down millions of dollars in France and have a stab at playing for the All Blacks in the World Cup restores the belief that the aura of the black jersey is still there.
It shows, for Williams at least, there is more to being a sportsman than how much money you can make.
It shows there is still pride in being a Kiwi and running out onto a field with a silver fern on your chest.

-------------

He sure as sh*t didn't mind abandoning the Kiwis before the World Cup. What a dumb article.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I honestly can't figure out what his motivation is. He's basically the spokesperson for "sport is a career and I'll make money while I can". Accepting that, why would he take a massive pay cut like this? And why do people keep asking whether he'll be "loyal", whether he'll stick with NZ rugby etc- the guy is basically on the public record as saying he's just in it for the money- why would anyone want a guy like that?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I can't believe that article Iafeta just posted, or the comments about SBW "following his All Black dream".

It's nauseating and incredibly stupid. Everyone knows that league is SBW's game. He is a league man from a league family and his dream was always to play in the NRL and for the Kiwis.

It's bizarre that the Union propaganda machine would buy in to SBW's "Union dream" when they know he is going to whore himself to the most economically sound deal once the World Cup is over. Surely they can see what a bad look it will eventually be for NZ Rugby?

Iafeta

Referee
I wonder though if he thinks he'll gain long term, IE media/corporate value in NZ from being an All Black.