What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW on Footy Show this week

Iafeta

Referee
Manu, I think we're putting a bit too much credence in some of the rah-rah lovers in NZ in their ability to think logically. There's some in the NZ media who would blow a goat to show their support for NZ Rugby, and the rest are likely to turn a blind eye to that act and then when it comes out bandy around the old boys club and make out that it was a display of sheer loyalty and there was nothing in it. Any media 'cult' that's led by Chris Rattue is one not to be thought too highly of.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I wonder though if he thinks he'll gain long term, IE media/corporate value in NZ from being an All Black.

That must be what he thinks.

It's amazing, the guy is actively out there promoting the "do whatever is best for yourself and your family in the long run" and "the NRL are bad because they prevent players from making enough money" philosophy. How on earth can anyone, from any code, even countenance the prospect of him being "loyal" to one team or code on the basis of "pride" or "aura". The guy is on a very public mission to destroy that sort of thinking!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
that's not bizarre at all.

In the sense that you're not surprised at stupidity by rugby heads? Or in the sense that you think they're well aware of what will happen but still want this to go ahead for the short term publicity and possible financial gain for the game? Because I just think the latter won't happen. Did SBW really help out rugby league in any way in the long run? If anything he made the game look second rate in the eyes of some with the way he left...I see the same happening to NZ rugby.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
In the sense that you're not surprised at stupidity by rugby heads? Or in the sense that you think they're well aware of what will happen but still want this to go ahead for the short term publicity and possible financial gain for the game? Because I just think the latter won't happen. Did SBW really help out rugby league in any way in the long run? If anything he made the game look second rate in the eyes of some with the way he left...I see the same happening to NZ rugby.

the former. you're dead right that he won't stick around and i can't believe anyone thinks that it's a good look for new zealand rugby even now. it's similar to folau and hunt - the propaganda machine beats off that rugby league has nothing while what the signings indicate is a lack of talent within their own sport. no different in this scenario.

Last edited:

Martli

Coach
I can't believe that article Iafeta just posted, or the comments about SBW "following his All Black dream".

It's nauseating and incredibly stupid. Everyone knows that league is SBW's game. He is a league man from a league family and his dream was always to play in the NRL and for the Kiwis.

It's bizarre that the Union propaganda machine would buy in to SBW's "Union dream" when they know he is going to whore himself to the most economically sound deal once the World Cup is over. Surely they can see what a bad look it will eventually be for NZ Rugby?

Completely agree. I remember when he re-signed with the dogs, there was a lot of hype about him possibly converting to union. I clearly remember him saying there was "too much kicking" and that he found the game boring. The whole "All Black Dream" is just a load of bullsh*t.

shiznit

Coach
its all short term pain for long term gain for SBW...

IF he can get himself established into the All Blacks his value after the world cup would go through the roof.

i get the feeling SBW is thinking by playing in the All Blacks he has the chance to become a global superstar like Jonah was.

it will be interesting to see what Adidas will offer him...

Micistm

Bench
I honestly can't figure out what his motivation is. He's basically the spokesperson for "sport is a career and I'll make money while I can". Accepting that, why would he take a massive pay cut like this? And why do people keep asking whether he'll be "loyal", whether he'll stick with NZ rugby etc- the guy is basically on the public record as saying he's just in it for the money- why would anyone want a guy like that?

There's a lot about this deal that confuses me. I get the feeling he'll get more 'bonuses' under the table than all the storm players combined, but he still contradicts himself. He didn't like the 'fishbowl' life of the NRL in the Doggies...if he didn't like that he is SO going to love this life in NZ, the bigger fish in a small bowl with all the scrutiny that goes with Rugby/ABs in NZ.
It'll be interesting to watch over the next few months, but I still don't trust his motives nor his management team. We'll see.

playdaball

Bench
i get the feeling SBW is thinking by playing in the All Blacks he has the chance to become a global superstar like Jonah was.

it will be interesting to see what Adidas will offer him...

Agree 100% with your comments.

He was pictured in the Sunday Star Times with a black ADIDAS top on. Coincidence he said ...

yeah right

shiznit

Coach
Agree 100% with your comments.

He was pictured in the Sunday Star Times with a black ADIDAS top on. Coincidence he said ...

yeah right
yeah... hes almost perfect for them...

he's popular in both NZ and arguably even more so in Australia so he could head advertising campaigns on both sides of the tasman... but if he can distinguish himself as an All Black he could make the leap in Europe.

ozbash

Referee
F*ck the all blacks.

Not the AB's fault, Bobby. A superstar turns up on their doorstep wanting to play,, whats GH and co supposed to do ?

Going to be quite interesting to see how long Choc and the manager last though, doubt the NZRU will stand any nonsense..

I find it hard to come to terms with all the SBW hating going on here. RL has been looked down on for a century now because of its professionalism (1906-All Golds, a name given to them because of the coin colour, not the jersey) and yet you get into Sonny Bill for following a time honoured tradition....

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I didn't understand the "time honoured tradition" involved in shafting your mates and your word meaning nothing mate

If poor old Sonny struggled with the "fish bowl life" in Sydney as he claimed afterwards, good luck back here in NZ champ

Micistm

Bench
Wonder if the TAB are taking odds on SBW?
-How long he'll stay if he doesn't make the ABs
-How long he'll stay after the WC if he does
-How many hidden perks under that 'severe cut in salary' there was, and how many deals have come gauranteed
-How long it takes before he gets ****ed off with the constant media attention and cracks

Iafeta

Referee
Not the AB's fault, Bobby. A superstar turns up on their doorstep wanting to play,, whats GH and co supposed to do ?

Going to be quite interesting to see how long Choc and the manager last though, doubt the NZRU will stand any nonsense..

I find it hard to come to terms with all the SBW hating going on here. RL has been looked down on for a century now because of its professionalism (1906-All Golds, a name given to them because of the coin colour, not the jersey) and yet you get into Sonny Bill for following a time honoured tradition....

Save the coin and put it towards blokes like Carl Haymen who... to borrow a vomit-tron from that priceless opinion sham that I posted earlier in the thread... know what it means to be a Kiwi?

A time honoured tradition is breaking your contract and your loyalties to your team-mates in a such a courageous way as to fly halfway across the world so as to avoid being challenged on the moral ethics of what you're doing?... To your TEAM MATES who are in the thick of it, none the less? Pffft... $BW is all about $BW. His mind has been cluttered by Mundinenomics. Cowardice is not a time honoured tradition.

ozbash

Referee
Save the coin and put it towards blokes like Carl Haymen who... to borrow a vomit-tron from that priceless opinion sham that I posted earlier in the thread... know what it means to be a Kiwi?

A time honoured tradition is breaking your contract and your loyalties to your team-mates in a such a courageous way as to fly halfway across the world so as to avoid being challenged on the moral ethics of what you're doing?... To your TEAM MATES who are in the thick of it, none the less? Pffft... $BW is all about $BW. His mind has been cluttered by Mundinenomics. Cowardice is not a time honoured tradition.

hmmm, ok.

see some are still hurtin....

You'll all be singing his praises next year at Eden Park when he brings us home in the WC final... oh yes, the humble pie will be scoffed in huuuuuuuuge quantities :cool:

Iafeta

Referee
Seeing as the ABs have largely followed the Greater Western Sydney style of publicity over substance, I couldn't care less how they do in the World Cup. The truth of the matter is we already have the real World Cup due to our Kiwis (yep, $BW did a runner on them too)

shiznit

Coach
Seeing as the ABs have largely followed the Greater Western Sydney style of publicity over substance, I couldn't care less how they do in the World Cup. The truth of the matter is we already have the real World Cup due to our Kiwis (yep, $BW did a runner on them too)
what strange planet are you on feka??

how do you compare GWS with what the NZRFU have done??

GWS are a new team trying to break into a market by buying a household name from a different sport mostly for promotional purposes.

the NZRFU have offered a RUGBY UNION player the opportunity of being eligible for the All Blacks during for the RWC as he has previously publicly stated it was his 'dream' to be an All Black. Graham Henry and his bumboys have recognised his obvious talent and have eased the pathway for him to come home...

either way... if SBW comes home... it will not be for the money from the NZRFU.

i can understand the angst over him deserting the dogs and what not... but you can get pissed off with Toulon and Tana Umaga over that... it has nothing to do with the NZRFU... as far as there concerned hes a bloody good Kiwi boy playing Rugby Union... IMO i would be pissed off if they didnt have a go at him.

but i also see your point at Hayman... imo i would have preferred they went after a Nick Evans because if Dan Carter goes down were royally f**ked... and having SBW wont change that

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
From reports it seems like he will play for Counties.
Long way up to get an AB spot in the squad. Personally i dont care for the bloke after what he did to the Bulldogs, but if he proves he is good enough (and i mean that by his ability, not his profile) then pick him.

Iafeta

Referee
what strange planet are you on feka??

how do you compare GWS with what the NZRFU have done??

GWS are a new team trying to break into a market by buying a household name from a different sport mostly for promotional purposes.

the NZRFU have offered a RUGBY UNION player the opportunity of being eligible for the All Blacks during for the RWC as he has previously publicly stated it was his 'dream' to be an All Black. Graham Henry and his bumboys have recognised his obvious talent and have eased the pathway for him to come home...

either way... if SBW comes home... it will not be for the money from the NZRFU.

i can understand the angst over him deserting the dogs and what not... but you can get pissed off with Toulon and Tana Umaga over that... it has nothing to do with the NZRFU... as far as there concerned hes a bloody good Kiwi boy playing Rugby Union... IMO i would be pissed off if they didnt have a go at him.

but i also see your point at Hayman... imo i would have preferred they went after a Nick Evans because if Dan Carter goes down were royally f**ked... and having SBW wont change that

Obviously not the same planet as you I'm guessing. :lol:

IMO, if the NZRU were going purely for whats best for the All Blacks in terms of performance, Hayman or Evans were their go to guys on the spend list. Right now, and I believe in 12 months, those two blokes would be vital assets for the All Blacks. I'm not sold on $BW in union. Like Falou, he comes with a far greater marketing upside than Hayman or Evans and thats the GWS reference. $BW is a big name now after his league start and some other questionable antics. The NZRU is no different to the NRL in that it loses 'stars' overseas at a great multitude, so while they are spending money to bring him back, they will also be letting go opportunities for previous All Blacks who have a proven record of serving the country well, and fringe All Blacks of some quality.

I don't blame Tana Umaga or Toulon. The Toulon chief was a git by our cultural terms, but having been to France I don't even hold that against him as they have a far different view of these sorts of things. That's not a bad thing either...! I would put more blame on $BW, Mundine and Nasser. They know of the Australasian identity with an honest dollar for an honest days work and not going away in the middle of the night. It's not really the done thing down here.

$BW coming home creates massive long term financial opportunities for him. He is now basically ensconced himself in three big markets - NZ rugby, France/Europe, Australia. He sells. With the NZRU, there are massive 'off field' financial opportunities for $BW to grab. He is a mercenary and I would believe this has been the big appeal for him.

Overall, to me $BW is, was and always will be king mercenary douche bag, second only to Anthony Mundine as a great pillar of hypocritical bullsh*t. If that floats your boat, thats cool.