What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW rumor

Why Williams, O'Meley can go

By Steve Mascord
March 04, 2007
BULLDOGS chief executive Malcolm Noad has defended the club's retention policy that has given Sonny Bill Williams a week to re-sign and most likely forced Mark O'Meley out of Belmore.
In a stunning loss of talent, nine players who featured in the 2004 grand final have since departed, with two more from the squad, Brett Oliver and Dennis Scott, also gone.
The Sunday Telegraph spoke to Dogs officials, player agents and rival clubs in a bid to find out why Noad was adopting a hard-nosed stance and whether the team can survive another round of big-name departures.
"The club and Steve Folkes put a lot of emphasis on loyalty," said Noad who has previously refused to discuss recruitment this year.
"Steve firmly believes that players certainly have the right to look after themselves with regard to their financial future.
"But he wants players in his team who want to perform for more than money."
It's understood Dogs directors have rubber-stamped the deadline placed on Williams because of two recent debacles: Williams announcing his last deal while on crutches, months after the club's final offer; and former skipper Steve Price keeping the club waiting for much of 2005 before signing with the Warriors.
Dogs powerbrokers believe the only other club that could afford Williams is Cronulla - and only if Brett Kimmorley is released.
"We lost all those players since 2004 and yet we were only half a game away from a grand final last year," one club insider said.
"No one can bring players through like us and no one can identify talent at other clubs like we can."
O'Meley's agent, Wayne Beavis, said the club's salary cap disgrace of five years ago was another reason the Bulldogs had to be pro-active in determining their playing roster.
"I haven't really detected any arrogance from them," Beavis said. "With everything that has happened with them, their ship has got to be pretty tight, they've really got to toe the line.
"Once young players come through, they are hard to retain under the salary cap. You've got to make tough decisions."
Noad added: "We don't think it helps either side for the negotiation process to be a drawn-out affair. This is probably a little different to how things were handled a few years ago, but I think managers are now coming to understand how we work."
Despite the departure of so many stars in the past three years, the Bulldogs have always retained forward "grunt". And that is now being eroded. Nate Myles (Sydney Roosters) and Roy Asotasi (South Sydney) will be missing this year, while O'Meley and Williams could follow.
"The club's highest priority with regard to supplying NRL players is junior development," Noad said. "A look at our player roster this year backs that up with nine local juniors in our top squad of 29.
"We (also) have a history of buying players who improve immeasurably at the Bulldogs. Just look at Luke Patten, Willie Tonga, Andrew Ryan, Chris Armit and Daniel Holdsworth."
<A class=image href="http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_sundaytelegraph.gif

In teresting quote from Dogs, wondering if they are trying to get us to raise stakes on SBW, and want Noddy, to join dogs, who knows, it goes round and round like musical chairs.

Since 73

First Grade
Big money should be spent on quality halves and playmakers.
That's who win you premierships.
Not over-rated continually injured second-rowers OR wingers.

Inferno

Coach
Not a chance.

Still no word on which club it was that offered him a 10 year 6 million dollar deal?

Dread

Juniors
Not so much a rumour as it is a sentence, with both the words 'Cronulla' and 'Williams' in it.

spider

Coach
geez - we are linked with every palyer over $400k that is slightly on the market.

would take shrek out of the lot of them for the obvious choice.

they can start with gallen's salary.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
anybody who thinks that sonny would not be the best signing since ET is certified f**kckking loony toones.
Despite not even talking to him, it is astute that the dogs know who is in the affordabilty bracket.
do we know who can afford gallen?

Nullajet

Juniors
sure as hell a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better signing than LOTE.....so long as he stays injury free that is

spider

Coach
blacktip-reefy said:
anybody who thinks that sonny would not be the best signing since ET is certified f**kckking loony toones.
translated = anybody that does not agree with reefy's opinion.

depends on if you pay market price or gallen's price?

newman

First Grade
Despite not even talking to him, it is astute that the dogs know who is in the affordabilty bracket.

I thought you didnt rate SBW?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
newman said:
I thought you didnt rate SBW?

I didnt understand all of the original hype. Especially seeing he was labelled the best in the league after 7 games.
I now think those statements were correct.

Sort of player who can turn a finals game on its head in your favour in 15 -20 minutes of brilliance.

sharknows

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
I didnt understand all of the original hype. Especially seeing he was labelled the best in the league after 7 games.
I now think those statements were correct.

Sort of player who can turn a finals game on its head in your favour in 15 -20 minutes of brilliance.

If he is fit and playing.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Please make it so.....
SBW for Kimmorley, shyte throw in Simmo and my year is made.