What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW VS Jamie Lyon

humpy

Juniors
I know the SBW issue has been flogged to bits but I would like to put another reflection on this.

How is what SBW has done any different to what Jamie "THE JUDAS" Lyon did to Parramatta???:crazy:

Agree that Lyon is similar to $BW, but the difference is fairly clear.

Lyon did walk out, but did not play any other code until getting a release from Parramatta (think they gave him permission to play for Wee Waa while sorting it out). He was then issued a release to play in England until the end of his contract period, and then after that he was free to sign with whomever he wanted.

His motivation never seemed to be about money, and was soley to do with his hatred for Brian Smith.

Most importantly though HE DID NOT SIGN ANY OTHER CONTRACT BEFORE HE WAS RELEASED!

Hanscholo

Bench
The difference was Brian Smith. He wouldnt hold a player back from leaving that wanted out no matter who it was. I have heard him say as much a number of times. Lyon took off and Parra let it go, the bulldogs and the NRL this time however arent letting it go because of French Onion, the biggest threat since super league is involved.

I kind of couldnt help but lmao at Gallop yesterday. The News Ltd lawyer talking the sh*t about knocking off people's contracts. Like News ltd can talk, they have done it in every f**king country they have a TV station in.

bartman

Immortal
Geez, some short memories. The two situations were totally different.

Lyon asked his club firstly if he could have some personal time off, and this was granted.

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could have a temporary release to play for Wee Waa, and this was granted, under the proviso that he didn't play NRL for another club.

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could get a release to play NRL, and it was not granted - well, he was told that he could but it had to be an out-of-Sydney club, based on the reasoning Lyon had used in wanting/needing to play for Wee Waa. I believe at the time he was told Wests or Penrith would be acceptable, but they didn't want to make an offer?

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could get a release to play in England, and it was granted, under the proviso that he didn't play NRL for any opposing team for the duration of what would have been his Parramatta contract. After that time expired, he was free to sign with who he liked, and ended up back with Uncle Crusher at Manly.

At every step of the way Lyon asked permission from the club he was contracted to, and never did anything he wasn't granted permission to do. The club remained in control of his playing circumstances the whole time, which is as it should be if you've signed a contract.

SBW just fuicked off to France instead of attending team training, telling no-one, and more importantly not asking someone before apparently inking his signature for some French rugby union side. What SBW did is much much worse than what Lyon did... and I'm a Parra supporter saying this!

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
How can we be certain that Lyon had not already agreed to terms with Manly whilst he was at Wee Waa when in fact he was still contracted to Parramatta. Don't forget that certainly during this period he showed up at a Manly game and had a Manly jersey held up on front if him whilst sitting in the grandstand! Equally how can we be certain that Sonny Bill has signed a contract with Toulon. Has anyone seen it?

Freak2

Juniors
Bartman,

You and I both know JL signed with Manly before walking out on the Eels.

Don't sugar coat it!

The only reason why JL asked permission to shift contracts was because Parramatta gave him no other option and the club would not allow him to do anything that was going to be more detrimental to the club and I hope The Bulldogs fight this tooth and nail for the same outcome in this instance, but unfortunately the damage has already been done with the Bulldogs releasing player after player just to be able to afford SBW under their cap!!!

Identical to the Eels releasing player after player after player prior to Jamie fleaing!!

CGD

Juniors
Whatever you think, you've got to love the irony in this.

Lyon left Parra in Round 1, 2004, after he was given an absolute bath by...that's right, debutant Sonny Bill Williams.

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
Bartman,

There are certainly no short memories involved here, unless of course your name is Peter Peters!

You're reply is obviously post the situation and certainly covers more than the 2 day period that this story has lasted for up to this point. Has Sonny Bill recently asked for a release from the Bulldogs and been denied it? My guess would be at some stage yes. Surely this needs to be added.

There is no difference between the situations at all. They are/were both under contract and that simply means they made a commitment to the club, the staff, the sponsors and the supporters. They have then both decided that for their own selfish reasons this contract is not acceptable to them anymore and walked out. Just because Parramatta took a soft touch to the situation doesn't make it any different.

Sonny should be treated the same as Jamie. To this point in time that is where the difference is alarmingly obvious.

^_^

Juniors
Lyon made the best career choice he ever could have all the Para supporters know it too!

LOL @ starting this thread BAHAHAH!!!

At least you guys have shown how easily you can let things go.... :p

Spilt Milk much???

:lol:

Last edited:

Ryan

Juniors
I can't believe this thread !

First of all, Jamie Lyon asked for some time off to deal with a personal issue that was happenning to his family - check the reports at the time - I refuse to detail it for you. Brian Smith and Denis Fitzgerald refused that leave.

Jamie Lyon said "in that case - get stuffed".

If something important is happenning to your partner, and your boss tells you bad luck, you have to turn up to work the next day, you'd beat him down, or tell him where to go.

I know Parra fans are upset about this, and I would be too if say Brett Stewart were in the same situation, but Jesus guys - grow a heart for goodness sakes.

Or get over it.

Helen

Juniors
Geez, some short memories. The two situations were totally different.

Lyon asked his club firstly if he could have some personal time off, and this was granted.

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could have a temporary release to play for Wee Waa, and this was granted, under the proviso that he didn't play NRL for another club.

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could get a release to play NRL, and it was not granted - well, he was told that he could but it had to be an out-of-Sydney club, based on the reasoning Lyon had used in wanting/needing to play for Wee Waa. I believe at the time he was told Wests or Penrith would be acceptable, but they didn't want to make an offer?

Lyon then asked the club that held his contract if he could get a release to play in England, and it was granted, under the proviso that he didn't play NRL for any opposing team for the duration of what would have been his Parramatta contract. After that time expired, he was free to sign with who he liked, and ended up back with Uncle Crusher at Manly.

At every step of the way Lyon asked permission from the club he was contracted to, and never did anything he wasn't granted permission to do. The club remained in control of his playing circumstances the whole time, which is as it should be if you've signed a contract.

SBW just fuicked off to France instead of attending team training, telling no-one, and more importantly not asking someone before apparently inking his signature for some French rugby union side. What SBW did is much much worse than what Lyon did... and I'm a Parra supporter saying this!

and it has to be seen if SBW will turn up for

Sonny Bill has let down kids - charity
SONNY Bill Williams "has let a lot of kids down" says a children's charity who had recruited the NRL star as the major drawcard for their main fundraising event.
Williams sudden and announced departure for France, apparently to take up a big rugby union contract, has left children's charity Essere without a guest of honour for their "Take a Walk on the Wild Side " dinner in Sydney on Tuesday 19 August.

As it is is for Aug 19th I reserve judgment on this point until he either turns up or is a no show.

Helen

Freak2

Juniors
I can't believe this thread !

First of all, Jamie Lyon asked for some time off to deal with a personal issue that was happenning to his family - check the reports at the time - I refuse to detail it for you. Brian Smith and Denis Fitzgerald refused that leave.

Jamie Lyon said "in that case - get stuffed".

If something important is happenning to your partner, and your boss tells you bad luck, you have to turn up to work the next day, you'd beat him down, or tell him where to go.

I know Parra fans are upset about this, and I would be too if say Brett Stewart were in the same situation, but Jesus guys - grow a heart for goodness sakes.

Or get over it.

Maybe you need to refer to "reports at the time"??? Parra gave Jamie as much time as he wanted to deal with his personal issues.
The relationship between Parra and Jamie fell apart when he was found out to be a rat and sold out on his club / supporters / and most importantly his so called mates he played footy with week in week out!!

This selling out sounds extremely familiar:sarcasm:

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
"SBW just fuicked off to France instead of attending team training, telling no-one, and more importantly not asking someone before apparently inking his signature for some French rugby union side. What SBW did is much much worse than what Lyon did... and I'm a Parra supporter saying this!"

The quote above was taken from the Bartman's view earlier.

The question is quite simply why? When the reason comes to light that is when the situations can be fairly judged to be worse or not, not now.

Last edited:

MSIH

Bench
The only thing in common is that they both left sh*tty clubs to join good ones, well except for Sonny.

Ryan

Juniors
Maybe you need to refer to "reports at the time"??? Parra gave Jamie as much time as he wanted to deal with his personal issues.
The relationship between Parra and Jamie fell apart when he was found out to be a rat and sold out on his club / supporters / and most importantly his so called mates he played footy with week in week out!!

This selling out sounds extremely familiar:sarcasm:

Mate - his missus was in trouble and needed him. He mentioned this to Brian Smith, and Smith said, sorry, we need you on the park this week.

Who would you choose as your priority? Your mates / club, or your wife / family?

That is how the whole dispute erupted. What hapenned from there who knows, but the seeds were already in and growing.

There was also a report, which I couldn't be bothered looking for, that said he and Himdmarsh had a chat prior to the Test, and Hindmarsh was fine with his reasons.

You will also note that the media weren't kept in the loop of what was hapenning, and they hated Lyon for it. But would you go out and make a major announcement about your missus issues?

People seriously need to move on, if Rugby League is more important than their family.

This all started because Lyon has standards and morals (as much as Parra's fans deny that). Sonny Bill is all about selfishness, greed and ignorance.

I know how Lyon feels, because my family went through that as well. I don't know how he even turned up to training, but apparently, Smith & Fitzgerald were CLEAR his prescence was required.

Lungfish

Juniors
Lyon made the best career choice he ever could have all the Para supporters know it too!

LOL @ starting this thread BAHAHAH!!!

At least you guys have shown how easily you can let things go.... :p

Spilt Milk much???

:lol:

lol Yeh get over it Parra scum!

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
Mate - his missus was in trouble and needed him. He mentioned this to Brian Smith, and Smith said, sorry, we need you on the park this week.

Who would you choose as your priority? Your mates / club, or your wife / family?

That is how the whole dispute erupted. What hapenned from there who knows, but the seeds were already in and growing.

There was also a report, which I couldn't be bothered looking for, that said he and Himdmarsh had a chat prior to the Test, and Hindmarsh was fine with his reasons.

You will also note that the media weren't kept in the loop of what was hapenning, and they hated Lyon for it. But would you go out and make a major announcement about your missus issues?

People seriously need to move on, if Rugby League is more important than their family.

This all started because Lyon has standards and morals (as much as Parra's fans deny that). Sonny Bill is all about selfishness, greed and ignorance.

I know how Lyon feels, because my family went through that as well. I don't know how he even turned up to training, but apparently, Smith & Fitzgerald were CLEAR his prescence was required.

Ryan,

Your family, my family, Freak 2's family, everyone's family even Sonny Bill's family has problems. These problems include, death, illness, finanical hardship etc and no one denies that these need to be dealt with and Rugby League comes second. I think that you are starting and stopping your arguement in to short a space. He had a contract in place, he walked out, firstly back to the country and then off overseas, never to return to Parramatta. He then was able to return to the NRL the moment his Parramatta contract expired. Take off the Jamie Lyon rose coloured glasses please.

Last edited:

Snoz

Juniors
sbw doing it for money - lyon did it for personal issues - kinda the same kinda different

bartman

Immortal
Bartman,

You and I both know JL signed with Manly before walking out on the Eels.

Don't sugar coat it!
Actually... I don't know that. Do you? I can suspect with hindsight that might have been his motivation, but he realised he couldn't do it for 2.5 years until his Parra contract expired. But I can't know that he signed anything, given the steps and patience he showed to get to where he is now.

Not sugar coating anything, no need to. But it is very different to Sonny Bill's actions this week.

bartman

Immortal
You're reply is obviously post the situation and certainly covers more than the 2 day period that this story has lasted for up to this point. Has Sonny Bill recently asked for a release from the Bulldogs and been denied it? My guess would be at some stage yes. Surely this needs to be added.
Maybe he did ask for a release and was denied, but none of us know, so we can't take that into account. Otherwise we'd be in hypothetical heaven...

Sonny should be treated the same as Jamie. To this point in time that is where the difference is alarmingly obvious.
No, I would argue Sonny-Bill deserves to be treated much worse. The differences in method mean however similar the end results of the situations might be, they don't equate.

The fact the NRL and his own club are so upset is evidence I'm not the only one that thinks there's a difference. The only ones that got upset at Lyon's actions in 2004-5 were... Parramatta fans. Big difference.