What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW VS Jamie Lyon

bartman

Immortal
The quote above was taken from the Bartman's view earlier.

The question is quite simply why? When the reason comes to light that is when the situations can be fairly judged to be worse or not, not now.
So until this reason comes to light, every must just sit oin their hands, and not form an opinion in the meantime? Right...

I'll form an opinion on the facts available thanks, and I don't mind changing my opinion if different facts become available later on. And I'll respect your right to do the same, albeit a different opinion. But to expect everyone else to share your approach is short-sighted at best.

bartman

Immortal
He had a contract in place, he walked out, firstly back to the country and then off overseas, never to return to Parramatta.
He asked for and was granted permission (and still remained under the control of the Parramatta club) at each step of the way, and the Parramatta club was compensated for his loss.

He then was able to return to the NRL the moment his Parramatta contract expired. Take off the Jamie Lyon rose coloured glasses please.
I was disappointed in Jamie when he did return (to Manly) after talking upin teh press the possibility of coming back to Parra to make up for his absence. So no ros-ecoloured glasses here. But Sonny has literally walked out on his club, without permission (obviously, or the Bulldogs would have come out and said the granted permission for him to miss training and tonight's game) and without the club being compensated or agreeing to the actions being taken by their contracted player.

Very different situations, which demand very different treatment for the players concerned. I'm not sure why the differences are so difficult for people to understand?

Canard

Immortal
Beware MAX exedus is coming. After the up coming Rugby League World Cup I'm predicting another 10 international players to walk!!

I hate to be a doom merchant and burst everyone's bubble here, but its time to call a spade a spade, players aren't waiting around for the League World cup, it isn't any type of serious drawcard or attraction to them at all.

If they wanted to go to Union they would leave right now.

stuke

Bench
nah...you're all forgetting. Jamie left Parra 'cause they made him wear a tie to school. his nana said so!

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
Actually... I don't know that. Do you? I can suspect with hindsight that might have been his motivation, but he realised he couldn't do it for 2.5 years until his Parra contract expired. But I can't know that he signed anything, given the steps and patience he showed to get to where he is now.

Not sugar coating anything, no need to. But it is very different to Sonny Bill's actions this week.

Very different based on one scenario being played out 4 years ago and the other barely reaching the 50 hour mark. At this stage in the Jamie Lyon situation and SBW's it is exactly the same, both under contract and both walked out. I'm waiting for your denial because no doubt it's coming with sugar coating.

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
Maybe he did ask for a release and was denied, but none of us know, so we can't take that into account. Otherwise we'd be in hypothetical heaven...

No, I would argue Sonny-Bill deserves to be treated much worse. The differences in method mean however similar the end results of the situations might be, they don't equate.

The fact the NRL and his own club are so upset is evidence I'm not the only one that thinks there's a difference. The only ones that got upset at Lyon's actions in 2004-5 were... Parramatta fans. Big difference.[/quote

I believe that in fact it has been stated in the media he has at some stage asked for a release. So if that makes every article in the paper and every comment made on radio a hypothetical then we are already in hypothetical heaven.

And no, I would argue that the major points to come from the Sonny Bill saga across all media outlets are in fact contract certainty and loyalty. When Jamie Lyon walked out he was at that point in time under contract. He then through his actions showed no loyalty. The reasons for the walk out are the missing link however they are also irrelevant.

The Bulldogs have openly stated that they involved the NRL. Your opinion as fact that only Parramatta fans got upset over the Jamie Lyon saga is quite halarious. Using it as part of the arguement highlighting the differences between the 2 is entirely ignorant.

bartman

Immortal
Very different based on one scenario being played out 4 years ago and the other barely reaching the 50 hour mark. At this stage in the Jamie Lyon situation and SBW's it is exactly the same, both under contract and both walked out. I'm waiting for your denial because no doubt it's coming with sugar coating.
Yawn.
As I asked earlier, just because it's 50 hours, does that mean we have to wait 4 years before we can have our opinions? Does it make anyone's opinion any less valid?

At this equivalent stage, Jamie Lyon was given compassionate leave by the Parramatta Club, and excused from training for Round 2 (after getting owned in Round 1 v Bulldogs, copping a spray from Brian in the changerooms and having a whinge). That's all we knew then, the important difference being he approached and was excused by his club.

Simple enough? Accusations of sugar coating not withstanding :roll:

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
So until this reason comes to light, every must just sit oin their hands, and not form an opinion in the meantime? Right...

I'll form an opinion on the facts available thanks, and I don't mind changing my opinion if different facts become available later on. And I'll respect your right to do the same, albeit a different opinion. But to expect everyone else to share your approach is short-sighted at best.

Your approach to ask a question and then answer it is quite arrogant. The discussion here has been a definitive one on regards to whether the situations are the same are different. You have openly stated you believe the situations are quite different. This after only a minimal amount of information is to hand with regards to SBW. My opinion is that the situations a quite similar, both under contract, both walked out. One took off overseas and the other took off to the bush.

As long as you're speaking for yourself and not all the people out there who don't support Parramatta like you were earlier. Did somebody mention short sightedness? Right....

bartman

Immortal
I believe that in fact it has been stated in the media he has at some stage asked for a release. So if that makes every article in the paper and every comment made on radio a hypothetical then we are already in hypothetical heaven.
If that is true, the difference remains that SBW wasn't granted it... and didn't come back with an alternative that was granted. He just walked away mid-week without contact with his club. Apparently the media is cliaming he had lunch the day before with new coach Moore and captain Ryan, and didn't say a word about it.

That's not hypothetical, yet you think we should wait four years before expressing an opinion, or something? They're just opinions, like arseholes, we all have one. And it's just an internet forum, hardly world changing... I don't get your logic here, other than perhaps being an SBW apologist at all costs?

And no, I would argue that the major points to come from the Sonny Bill saga across all media outlets are in fact contract certainty and loyalty. When Jamie Lyon walked out he was at that point in time under contract. He then through his actions showed no loyalty.
There's a difference between moral and legal loyalty. Nowhere am I saying Lyon acted morally, I'm just saying he acted within the legalities of his contract situation. It seems SBW couldn't give too hoots about even trying to.

The reasons for the walk out are the missing link however they are also irrelevant.
Irrelevent to what? To some idea that we can't have opinions on the similarity or difference between events until the same amount of time has passed since each of them?

The Bulldogs have openly stated that they involved the NRL. Your opinion as fact that only Parramatta fans got upset over the Jamie Lyon saga is quite halarious. Using it as part of the arguement highlighting the differences between the 2 is entirely ignorant.
Whatever. But what is actually your point in claiming they are no different? Do you think SBW doing this is OK, and want him to be seen in an equal light to Lyon's earlier actions? Or were you personally so upset about Lyon's actions that you hate to see him trumped holding the title of league's Judas?

I can't see why you don't want people to have an opinion on something, as it unfolds. I don't mind changing mine, if different facts come to light... why shoudl anyone mind anyone forming an opinion on what they know at any point in time?

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
He asked for and was granted permission (and still remained under the control of the Parramatta club) at each step of the way, and the Parramatta club was compensated for his loss.

I was disappointed in Jamie when he did return (to Manly) after talking upin teh press the possibility of coming back to Parra to make up for his absence. So no ros-ecoloured glasses here. But Sonny has literally walked out on his club, without permission (obviously, or the Bulldogs would have come out and said the granted permission for him to miss training and tonight's game) and without the club being compensated or agreeing to the actions being taken by their contracted player.

Very different situations, which demand very different treatment for the players concerned. I'm not sure why the differences are so difficult for people to understand?

Parramatta could have taken the same stance as the Bulldogs have decided to it doesn't detract from the fact that he wanted to leave the club whilst he was under contract. The same decision that SBW has made.

As far as I can recall the rose coloured glasses was not pointed out to yourself unless you have numerous monikers.

At this point in time he has walked out for 5 days. That is all we know as fact. Yet you have openly stated that you will argue the situations are very different. The differences are so difficult to understand because in some peoples opinion, not just mine, there are no differences.

bartman

Immortal
Your approach to ask a question and then answer it is quite arrogant.
Oh diddums. Getting upset as to how people express themselves on an internet forum... I'm taking umbrage with your arrogant approach to question any opinion (other than your own) on the spurious basis that there might be some things we learn in hindsight that make any current judgement invalid.

The discussion here has been a definitive one on regards to whether the situations are the same are different. You have openly stated you believe the situations are quite different. This after only a minimal amount of information is to hand with regards to SBW.
That is correct. I haven't needed much info to realise that one guy was excused from his club training and next round game, and the other wasn't. Is that where we are at cross purposes? Do you believe that Parramatta didn't grant Lyon some time off initially after Round 1?

My opinion is that the situations a quite similar, both under contract, both walked out. One took off overseas and the other took off to the bush.
I accept that is your opinion. However your dismissal of points that suggest that summary is a bit short-sighted has been for from robust, in my opinion.

As long as you're speaking for yourself and not all the people out there who don't support Parramatta like you were earlier. Did somebody mention short sightedness? Right....
I was stating an opinion that there seems to be a lot more people in rugby league upset at SBW's actions - at this point in time - than there seemed upset at Lyon's actions, at the equivalent point in time. And you are disagreeing with that assessment, have I got you right?

Bradley Wardle

Juniors
Yawn.
As I asked earlier, just because it's 50 hours, does that mean we have to wait 4 years before we can have our opinions? Does it make anyone's opinion any less valid?

At this equivalent stage, Jamie Lyon was given compassionate leave by the Parramatta Club, and excused from training for Round 2 (after getting owned in Round 1 v Bulldogs, copping a spray from Brian in the changerooms and having a whinge). That's all we knew then, the important difference being he approached and was excused by his club.

Simple enough? Accusations of sugar coating not withstanding :roll:

If you're tired go to bed.

The discussion is "simple enough" a valid opinion was put forward stating that SBW and Lyon both walked out on contracts yet one is being chased across the globe like catch me if you can and the other is back now living on the northern beaches playing in the NRL. A valid point! You have stated that you will argue the 2 scenario's are totally different and you are stating that with 50 hours of history.

The fact that Parramatta showed a soft touch does not detract from what Jamie Lyon did. He left! He approached Parramatta to leave whilst knowing one would hope that he was under contract to play for Parramatta.

I am not condoning SBW's actions by the way.

bartman

Immortal
Parramatta could have taken the same stance as the Bulldogs have decided to it doesn't detract from the fact that he wanted to leave the club whilst he was under contract. The same decision that SBW has made.
The Bulldogs had no choice in what stance to take, as their player wewas not in contact with them - a fundamental difference I would propose? If the only similarity is that the two players were both disatisfied, then yes I have to give you that. But that ignores differences in the overall situation, imo.

As far as I can recall the rose coloured glasses was not pointed out to yourself unless you have numerous monikers.
Fair enough. It was there and I responded to it, because I didn't think it was a robust way of discussing the differing opinions. Some might even label it... arrogant?

At this point in time he has walked out for 5 days. That is all we know as fact. Yet you have openly stated that you will argue the situations are very different.
Based on five days worth of information, yes I can see differences, as I have explained in this thread. Whether you choose to acknowledge them is entirely your choice. But you appear to be dismissing them just because it's only been 5 days? Again, not a robust argument for the opinion that the situations are similar, imo.

The differences are so difficult to understand because in some peoples opinion, not just mine, there are no differences.
Well that's what this thread is about, isn't it. Obviously the person who wrote the thread thought there were some similarities. I've given you one above, the general similarity that two players were each dissatisfied. But there are vast differences in how each player seems to have approached this situation, imo.

Whether you agree or not isn't really relevant. It's an internet forum, it's about differing opinions. No-one should need everyone to agree with them or weight of numbers to feel good about their own views.

But in implying that everyone should think one certain view due to reasoning that to not do so is somehow automatically invalid, seems a bit... I dunno? I'm not sure why it's a problem that someone can see differences where you don't wish to acknowledge them?

bartman

Immortal
The discussion is "simple enough" a valid opinion was put forward stating that SBW and Lyon both walked out on contracts yet one is being chased across the globe like catch me if you can and the other is back now living on the northern beaches playing in the NRL. A valid point! You have stated that you will argue the 2 scenario's are totally different and you are stating that with 50 hours of history.
Of course the original opinion/point was valid. But not exclusively valid! I'm arguing that they are different, and showing how - another valid (albeit different) opinion! There can be more than one valid opinion - which is why I thought I'd add mine to the thread. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed :lol:

The fact that Parramatta showed a soft touch does not detract from what Jamie Lyon did. He left! He approached Parramatta to leave whilst knowing one would hope that he was under contract to play for Parramatta.
I know, I lived through it. He wasn't the first, and won;t be the last. Neither will SBW. They're just the two highest profile examples of disatisifed players in recent years. But that doesn't mean that all facets of their situations can just be airbrushed as similar to me.

I am not condoning SBW's actions by the way.
OK.

So agreeing that in the most simple analysis we have two players who were each disatisfied with their contracted situation at the 5 days moment in time... can we then move beyond that to examine the differences in how they apporached that? Or is pointing out those differences not allowed to be part of this thread's discussions?

Tommax25

Bench
Exactly the same....and the reward for Judas Lyon?

In 2006 he was given a test jersey in the tri series having not played NRL since 2004
In 2007 he was playing origin..

Something really smelt with that one.

when he played the test he was no longer a ESL player and had signed a contract with an nrl club for the coming season, so if his form warranted it (I dont know I don't watch ESL) then fair enough. It doesn't matter how long ago he played nrl, its similar to how gasnier will not play in the world cup, despite just having played nrl a few weeks or so prior, because he will no longer be contracted to the nrl.

How he got a blues jersey that year is beyond me though.

bartman

Immortal
Wondering if talk of SBW now legally challenging the game's salary cap is enough for some people to see his actions as any different to those of Lyon?