What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW will not play again this year

C.P

Juniors
This has made the radio, andrew moore just reports a customs officer at sydney airport claims hes off to france for 6 months.
been a busy boy CP

Not me with this one, wouldnt waste the 30 cents calling those a**holes

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sonny Bill boards flight to Europe, turns back on Bulldogs

Sonny Bill Williams has reportedly left the country bound for France, in breach of his contract with the Bulldogs.

The Continuous Call Team's Ray Hadley has been able to confirm Williams flew out for Europe this afternoon, with the apparent intention of initiating negotiations with a French rugby union club.

Williams has three and a half years to run on his contract with the Belmore based club.

Unconfirmed reports suggest Williams left the country with the brother of his manager Khoder Nasser.

Bulldogs officials are unaware of Williams' departure, but insist that if the Kiwi backrower does not report for a team meeting at 8.30 am tomorrow, he will be in breach of his multi-million dollar deal with the club.

http://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/07/26/Sonny_Bill_turns_back_on_Dogs_boards_flight_to_Europe

Ryan

Juniors
He's in a contract. If I were The Dogs, I'd say:-

1) We are suing you for damages for your salary, + lost revenue, + the angst to the remaining players who signed to play with you. I'd go for 10 million. Bankrupt the filth.

2) Whilst you are under contract, which we will uphold, you will not be able to play for anyone else. Sit on the sidelines for 4 years.

If he's just up and decided to do this, he should be taken to the cleaners for all he's got, and all he's GOING to get going forward.

Nook

Bench
No point blaming this on Gallop.

A couple of cancers got in is ear and turned him from a bright eyed, well-liked young kid into a greedy, despised merkin in the space of 6 months. Gallop isn't going o be able to stop that from happening, ever. From the outside looking in, the issue appears to be weakness of character, and little else.

Bottom line is that Sonny Bill could have had a fantastic career for club and country playing in the NRL - and made millions and millions of dollars from doing so. If that's not good enough , so be it. It isn't like he has switched codes to play for the All Blacks. That you could almost understand - despite the cross code dimensions, it wouldn't purely have been about money, or purely been the result of a malignant manager. This is just an utterly selfish grab for money.

If Sonny isn't big or strong enough to think for himself, bugger him. We can do without him. David Gallop and the rest of the guys at the NRL should be worrying about the guys who have some sense of loyalty to their mates, their clubs and their countries. Sonny Bill clearly lacks all of the above. If he and his ilk (Hi Gaz) wanna bugger off to France and leave the NRL with a guys with a little less talent but a lot more ticker our competition will be no weaker for it.

BrisVegas

Juniors
I'm going to go against the grain and say this is the best possible thing to happen. Two Marquee rep players in their prime leaving for Europe in the space of a week is something all the cronies at the NRL can't ignore. The situation has reached tipping point and no amount mumbling "It's a balancing act" by Gallop will paper over the cracks. Hopefully now the NRL will be forced into action through public disapproval instead of the numerous committees and debates that are offered up.

Patorick

Staff member
So how does this compare to Mundine going overseas in 2000 and Lyon going home to Wee Waa in 2003?

Dogs Of War

Coach
Mason, then SBW. Man, I am so sick of this crap.

Although on the plus side, I don't want someone at the club who isn't prepared to give 100%. Lucky we have some nice players coming through, none of the SBW class, but then again, they are rare as hen's teeth.

Latest posts