What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scariest movies

horrie hastings

First Grade
Me & Mrs Hadrian have tried to get tickets to previous things there & never do, they sell out quickly. Oh well at least they have a decent bar attached to the place.

I always find two scenes pivotal & creepy in that movie.

The scene with him & the barman ( Tyrell from Bladerunner btw ) & the scene with him & the waiter who spills drinks on him. Starts off normal then the intensity of both scenes ramps up.

Yes , the cinema is so small that normally lots of sessions would sell out but with social distancing the capacity would be even less so I'm not surprised The Shining sold out. The last movie I saw there was an old classic Rebecca with Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier . Yes the bar is a great sitting to have a drink there.

Yes do agree about the two scenes you mentioned, would love to see it again as it's been a while since I watched it.

Wizardman

First Grade
A little know movie called "When A Stranger Calls" (original 80s release, not the remake) is the scariest movie I've ever seen. The opening scene from "Scream" would have got its inspiration from "When A Stranger Calls". I rewatched it about a year ago and it still gave me the absolute creeps. Brilliant movie which is criminally underrated.

Wizardman

First Grade
I remember when the Exorcist first came out when I was a kid. My mum went to see it and she said it was the scariest movie she ever saw.

I asked what was the scariest bit. She said when the girls head spins around. I’m thinking pfft that doesn’t sound scary.

Fast forward 15 years and I’m watching it late one night. Scared the bejeebuz out of me. Thought the scariest part was the same as my mum said all those years before.

To this day the only movie that has seriously freaked me out.
The spider walk also got me....lol. Very freaky movie.

Wizardman

First Grade
The original The Blair Witch Project still holds up as well.

I had the pleasure of being able to see that and The Sixth Sense on VCD downloaded from the internet before they were released in the cinema here. I think both movies ended up suffering from marketing setting extremely high expectations for them, and especially so for TBWP.. Never saw the twist coming for The Sixth Sense so I feel sorry for all those people who went in expecting one because it was all over the media.

But TBWP is still genuinely creepy for what it is, though the sequels are absolute dogshit and must be avoided at all costs. Should have been left as a standalone movie instead of trying to repeat its success.
The most unfairly bagged horror movie of the last 30 years. It was extremely creepy and the concluding scenes scared the f**k out of me.

avocado

Juniors
The most unfairly bagged horror movie of the last 30 years. It was extremely creepy and the concluding scenes scared the f**k out of me.
Yeah that last scene was pretty messed up. This film probably second to Exorcist for giving me the heebie jeebies.

nöyd

Staff member
If you're into gore I suggest Hatchet, starring Kane Hodder (best known as Jason Voorhees). One scene in particular that disturbs is the killer grabbing a woman from behind (lol) by the forehead and jaw, and cracking her head open like a someone tearing into a christmas present.

Mr Spock!

Referee
1. The Thing (1982) Still the best. Claustrophobic and a bunch of blokes isolated in the middle of nowhere where you don't know who the hell is an alien. Great actors.

2. Alien

3. Fright Night (the first one)

4. Clown (where a bloke finds a clown suit which turns him into a child eating demon.

5. It - Part 1 (wtf did they do with the second - try to turn it into a comedy.

There's probably better ones than the last 2.

Gee the horror movies on streaming are woeful. As are most of the ones released in the last 20 years.

Special mention to Evil Dead the original 80s version.

T-Boon

Coach
The original 'The Woman in Black', TV movie from 1989. Very scary. The remake is pretty scary as well.

Also, any haunted house type horror movie (such as The Amityville Horror) freaks me out.

horrie hastings

First Grade
A little know movie called "When A Stranger Calls" (original 80s release, not the remake) is the scariest movie I've ever seen. The opening scene from "Scream" would have got its inspiration from "When A Stranger Calls". I rewatched it about a year ago and it still gave me the absolute creeps. Brilliant movie which is criminally underrated.

Yes that had me on the edge of my seat when I watched it back in the 80s, think I should revisit it again one day soon.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The spider walk wasn’t in the original film. Lucky.

Yes, I prefer the original theatrical version of the movie rather than the the directors cut , saw the directors cut at the movies and didn't think it added much to the movie apart from Reagans extra time with the psychiatrist. There were actually two versions of the spider walk.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The directors cut version i saw at the movies had the 2nd scene where she comes down the stairs and vomits the blood.

bileduct

Coach
I watched it again a few weeks ago. Genuinely creepy shit, especially that house at the end.

I much prefer psychological horrors over slashers, jump scares and other gimmicks...

Another movie I really enjoyed was The Visit by M Night Shyamalan.
His movies can be very hit & miss lol a few duds after Sixth Sense
But this one was something that could actually happen .

Silent Knight

First Grade
Not really a horror movie but as a 10 year old kid I was at my older cousin’s house and walked into the living room when her and some friends were watching Robocop.

I walked in right around the moment when Murphy was cornered in the steel mill and his partner was knocked out. Needless to say I can’t watch that movie even now as an adult because the sheer brutality shocked me. I had nightmares for weeks, my parents were not impressed with my cousin.

Candyman is another movie that totally unnerved me as a teen.

In terms of books, there is a short story by Stephen King called “Sometimes they come back”. I read that as an adult and it frightened me. Somehow teenagers menacing adults seems quite real to me. Teenagers can be cruel.

stryker

First Grade
That is a good flick, the phone call stuff works in both this movie and scream...and both took the idea from my pick which is the original Black Christmas. Freaky and creepy.