What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scariest movies

A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

There's a reason why there are parental advisory labels.

Saw it in 1986 as a 10 year old. To this day, I cannot sleep in the middle of the bed if the TV is on, or I have my iPod playing. I don't visit basements either.

Jaws (1975)

I saw Jaws 2 first, about 1984. That didn't scare me. When I saw Jaws, I literally don't swim at the beach. Such a slow burner of a film. The score is unsettling.

28 Days Later (2003)

The first of the 'modern' zombie flicks as I recall it. The first half...all post-apocalyptic London is so unnerving (I was living there when this was released). The furious zombies are terrifying. Great movie.

Candyman (1992)

Repeat his name five times in a mirror and unleash hell. This one freaked me as a teen. Taut thrills.

Se7en (1995)

Wholly horrific. Wonderfully acted. You feel the damp, dank stench of a decaying city and can't but wince at the horrors as they unfold.

The Horror Show (aka House 3) (1989) and Shocker (1989)

Two slasher films from the late 1980's. Both are cast well...House 3 with Lance Henriksen and Brion James. The similarly themed Shocker is a Wes Craven slasher, with Mitch Pileggi as the bad ass and Peter Berg as the haunted teen. Both are knock offs / re-do's of Elm Street really. Still... pretty creepy and good for a Saturday night scare.

Classics like The Exorcist, The Amityville Horror, The Shining, The Omen...

The Others is unnerving too. Pet Cemetery (1989) was unnerving. Saw it again recently...still chilling but not as much.

I want to see some modern ones like The Babdook, The Conjuring, Annabelle...but my wife is a scaredy cat.

Zoidberg

First Grade
When I was younger I was a fan of Scream and I know what you did last summer when they 1st came out. Not sure how they would hold up now if it’s your 1st viewing.

bileduct

Coach
The original The Blair Witch Project still holds up as well.

I had the pleasure of being able to see that and The Sixth Sense on VCD downloaded from the internet before they were released in the cinema here. I think both movies ended up suffering from marketing setting extremely high expectations for them, and especially so for TBWP.. Never saw the twist coming for The Sixth Sense so I feel sorry for all those people who went in expecting one because it was all over the media.

But TBWP is still genuinely creepy for what it is, though the sequels are absolute dogshit and must be avoided at all costs. Should have been left as a standalone movie instead of trying to repeat its success.

YoHadrian

Juniors
The Last Shift is pretty good. Police station closing & a police officer is staffing it on it's last night open & she is on her own ( of course ) then it all kicks off. Pretty creepy.

avocado

Juniors
I remember when the Exorcist first came out when I was a kid. My mum went to see it and she said it was the scariest movie she ever saw.

I asked what was the scariest bit. She said when the girls head spins around. I’m thinking pfft that doesn’t sound scary.

Fast forward 15 years and I’m watching it late one night. Scared the bejeebuz out of me. Thought the scariest part was the same as my mum said all those years before.

To this day the only movie that has seriously freaked me out.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Golden Age Cinema is showing the extended cut of The Shining this Sunday, being a small cinema it has already sold out, if I didn't have a previous engagement on already I would have snapped up a couple of tickets when it was announced, such a creepy movie, the isolation alone sends shivers down my spine.

avocado

Juniors
The Golden Age Cinema is showing the extended cut of The Shining this Sunday, being a small cinema it has already sold out, if I didn't have a previous engagement on already I would have snapped up a couple of tickets when it was announced, such a creepy movie, the isolation alone sends shivers down my spine.
Here I go again. I remember reading the book before it was a movie. In the book Dick Halloran comes and rescues the wife and kid.

Imagine my surprise watching the movie when Halloran enters the hotel and cops an axe in the guts.

Brilliant, brilliant movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember when the Exorcist first came out when I was a kid. My mum went to see it and she said it was the scariest movie she ever saw.

I asked what was the scariest bit. She said when the girls head spins around. I’m thinking pfft that doesn’t sound scary.

Fast forward 15 years and I’m watching it late one night. Scared the bejeebuz out of me. Thought the scariest part was the same as my mum said all those years before.

To this day the only movie that has seriously freaked me out.

I saw The Exorcist at one of the George St cinemas in 1982, the person I went with was screaming , kept on grabbing me, closing their eyes and even buried their head in my lap during one of the scairy scenes :grinning:. Most of the cinema was screaming but I just had a fit of the giggles most of the film. I just burst out laughing at the classic line Your Mother Sucks C*cks In Hell .

Fast forward to either 1999 or 2000 when I got the Exorcist on DVD, my better half didn't want to watch because she thought it would be scairy, did decide to watch and funnily enough laughed at all the spots I laughed at, she actually said that movie is like a comedy now. It is one movie that I have never found scairy, not sure why because it should be.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Here I go again. I remember reading the book before it was a movie. In the book Dick Halloran comes and rescues the wife and kid.

Imagine my surprise watching the movie when Halloran enters the hotel and cops an axe in the guts.

Brilliant, brilliant movie.

There is a movie called Burnt Offerings that was made in 1976, not a pacticurly scairy movie but an interesting premise on a house that renews itself and the occupants have personality changes. When I saw The Shining I could see some parallels of Burnt Offerings in The Shining and then I saw an interview with Stephen King once and he said he drew some of his inspiration for The Shining from Burnt Offerings.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Fair enough.

My favourite line. “Do you know what your daughter did? Your c******g daughter”

Jeez. Shivers. Still.

Yep that's another line I like, my younger sister who has the same sick sense of humour I have, I will often say to her You Know What She Did ? and she says the rest :grinning:. I actually find
the music score is creepy in the movie

horrie hastings

First Grade
Jaws (1975)

I saw Jaws 2 first, about 1984. That didn't scare me. When I saw Jaws, I literally don't swim at the beach. Such a slow burner of a film. The score is unsettling.

I saw Jaws when it was first released at the cinema I thought it was a bit meh, as I got older and watching it the build up and suspense is done brilliantly which I didn't appreciate when I was younger and as you say it is a slow burner of a film and the John Williams score is brilliant and unnerving at the same time.
I like Jaws 2 but it is missing the suspense of the first movie and basically it a teenage smorgasbord for the shark.

You also mentioned The Omen, I never saw it at the cinema, the first time I saw it was on TV and I found it suspenseful and creepy , then one day I got it out on video and one scene that was originally cut from the TV version really disturbed me, the scene where the hand brake of the truck becomes unlocked and the truck rolls back and the sheet of glass rolls off, that scene ended there on the TV version and I thought good, it left it to your imagination of what happened without the gore , so imagine my horror with the video where you see the glass slides off and slices David Warmers head off and then it bounces along ground, to me that cheapens the movie, I still like the movie but that one scene minused a few points off for me after my initial viewing.

Last edited:
Watched a heap of horror movies in the last 10 years .
There's not many that you'd re watch .
Prob the best is Sinister (2012)
Really enjoyed it .

YoHadrian

Juniors

Me & Mrs Hadrian have tried to get tickets to previous things there & never do, they sell out quickly. Oh well at least they have a decent bar attached to the place.

I always find two scenes pivotal & creepy in that movie.

The scene with him & the barman ( Tyrell from Bladerunner btw ) & the scene with him & the waiter who spills drinks on him. Starts off normal then the intensity of both scenes ramps up.