What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schoolboy selection games

roopy

Referee
The finals of the schoolboy selection games are played tomorrow at EAS.
The Aussie schoolboys side will be named after the final game, which starts at 1.45.
I imagine Jake Finn and Ethan Cook are both in with a shot.

JJ09

Juniors
Jordan Rankin and Ryan James will be there. Both Titans U20/s players who were chosen in last years schoolboys team.
Also I reckon my mate Matt Groat who plays Tigers SG Ball will get chosen as one of the front rowers/bench. Matt got Man of the Match as chosen by the selectors for his team NSWCCC's loss to NSWCHS. NSWCHS's Man of the Match was Roosters U20/s player Cheyse Blair

What team were Jake Finn and Ethan Cook in? I don't remember seeing them when I was there

(I know this is a Knights section of the forum but thought I'd add my two cents:D)

aqua_duck

Coach
Jake Finn is in NSWCHS I'm not sure Ethan Cook is playing.
There's a bloke from St Francis Xavier's who's playing for NSWCCC named Justin Smith who is apparently having a good tournament, ever heard of him Roops?

roopy

Referee
Jake Finn is in NSWCHS I'm not sure Ethan Cook is playing.
There's a bloke from St Francis Xavier's who's playing for NSWCCC named Justin Smith who is apparently having a good tournament, ever heard of him Roops?
Justin Smith is an incredibly noisy fullback.
He had a good season in Mathews last year and went well in Ball for about half the season.
The guy doesn't just yell directions from fullback, he cheers every tackle like the loudest member of the crusade is on the field. I half expect him to come out with chants sometimes.

roopy

Referee
NSWCHS are in the losers playoff starting at 10.30 or so i think, but NSWCCC or in the final against a qld team.

Last edited:

JJ09

Juniors
Cost anythin to get in?

5$

.. and yeh Justin Smith is preety good. I saw him play on Sunday. He got Man of the Match in one of the games. He has a very good kicking game, and was usually very safe in the 2 games I saw but made one fatal drop ball which wasn't that difficult and lead to a try.

Pika

Bench
NSWCCC are on a hiding to nothing at half time.

Rankin having a field day out there.

I left at half time cause it was cold.... yes, I am soft.

roopy

Referee
No team named yet, but it's interesting that the player of the series is Maipele Morseau from north qld - may be some relation to our George Morseau, also from North qld.

ashton

Juniors
No team named yet, but it's interesting that the player of the series is Maipele Morseau from north qld - may be some relation to our George Morseau, also from North qld.

Maipele and George are brothers.
For memory Maipele has signed with Melbourne.

roopy

Referee
I wonder how often a guy described as an elusive fullback (Maipele) would be the brother of a guy who is now a big prop (George).

Noa

First Grade

Correct, Maipele has been signed to the Storm for a few years now (thank you Peter O'Sullivan). Was a 7 when we signed him but now it looks like we may have a replacement for Billy Slater.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
Good article on Justin Smith from yesterday's herald

<H1>Justin Smith plays through pain in quest for schoolboys title
BY JOSH LEESON
17/07/2009 4:00:00 AM
TORN ankle ligaments are not going to stop Justin Smith from fulfilling his dream of leading the NSW Combined Catholic Colleges to an Australian Schoolboys rugby league championship today.

The year 12 St Francis Xavier College, Hamilton, student will captain the NSW CCC side in the final at 1.45pm against Queensland at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

But Smith will need to play through the pain.

Smith tore ligaments in his ankle in Monday's 26-22 pool-match loss to Queensland, but a pain-killing injection enabled the 18-year-old to play a full game in NSW CCC's 18-12 semi-final victory over NSW Combined High Schools on Wednesday.

What was even more impressive was that Smith was asked to shift from fullback to halfback in the second half after regular No.7 Josh Murray was struck down with a groin injury.

Smith is likely to play halfback again in the final but had no second thoughts about playing on his injured ankle.

"It's been a great experience to lead them out, a real privilege," Smith said.

"They [needles] make it so you still feel it and so you do favour it. You try not to do any further damage, but I'm in a fair bit of pain.

"But you play through it because it's an Australian championship final, you only get one opportunity."

Smith, from Aberdeen, moved in with his grandparents at Redhead in 2007 to take up a S G Ball contract with the Knights, after playing Harold Matthews in 2006.

He played S G Ball again this season and hopes to be offered a contract with Newcastle's under-20 squad for 2010.

"I'm off contract again this year and I'm talking again with the Knights and just weighing up options for next year," he said. "It definitely helps being the [NSW CCC] captain, so hopefully we can win it this year."

Smith is joined in the NSW CCC squad by fellow Aberdeen boy and St George Illawarra under-20 second-rower Alex McKinnon.
Dale Clacherty, 17, from All Saints College, St Mary's Campus, Maitland, is under an injury cloud for the final after suffering a corked knee in the loss to Queensland.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...in-in-quest-for-schoolboys-title/1570117.aspx
</H1>

macavity

Referee
Correct, Maipele has been signed to the Storm for a few years now (thank you Peter O'Sullivan). Was a 7 when we signed him but now it looks like we may have a replacement for Billy Slater.

we have signed Maipele for next year.

roopy

Referee
we have signed Maipele for next year.
Well that answers our fullback question for NYC. I wonder if signing his schoolmate Kurt Mann was a factor?
You would imagine Kurt would be cursing - years in the shadow of Maipele at Yepoon, and now going all the way to Newcastle to be back in his shadow.