What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scoring system

antonius

Coach
Robster said:
just a question, does a post mark get shorten for foul langague?
Reading through the rules there is no definate yes/no answer to your question. I would suggest though that in the majority of cases foul language would not enhance an article, I could see maybe in some it might, I think in the end the ref would take that into account.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm guessing that it depends on the context. If it fits, then its OK. If its just whacked in to get attention then I should imagine it would be treated like any other over-use of hyperbole.

Azkatro

First Grade
I guess instead of starting a new thread it would be appropriate to add this comment in here.

I had an idea a few weeks ago which keeps coming back to me. It's not a different system at all, just a simple guideline which might help refs and writers.

At the moment it's just x out of 100 for the article, plus the ref's feedback. The ref's feedback is good but it's hard for them to spend too much time writing them. With that in mind, I thought of breaking the 100 points down to three basic categories:

50 points no matter what if you "have a dig", ie write an article about rugby league that's original.

25 points for "execution". Meaning spelling, grammar, technical skill etc.

And the other 25 points for "creativity". Which would encompass things like originality, flair and the like.

Most comments summarise these categories in a sense already but it would be nice if I could say I continually fall 15 points short in the creativity category, so that's something in particular I can work on.

Just thought I'd take a moment to put this thought down for others to either discuss or ridicule :)

Another thing is that if you wanted to get really keen with it, if the ref decided they wanted to see some really interesting stuff they could adjust the ratio. For example announce in the game thread that the execution/creativity ratio will be 20/30, so people would be encouraged to mix it up a bit more.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I like the idea for its simplicity and it has a definite structure to it.

Skinner

Coach
Gee, if I was ever going to have a crack at reffing, that's exactly the type
of guideline I'd be looking for.

There are some really good ideas coming out at the moment.

I like this idea. To be honest I'm very happy with the reffing and I think they all do a great job. The only thing I find is how subjective the marking is, theres some articles I've read that have received marks of 80 which I've thought under a different ref probably would of got 90 as they were extremely creative pieces.

I think anything that brings more structure (without being to complicated) to the reffing is a positive move.

I think obviously the 25 points for execution is very important, but I also feel 25 points allocated to creativity is a great incentive for people to step outside the square and put together an interesting piece.

It sort of seems at the moment that an extremely well executed piece - even if the subject has done many times before & nothing new has been bought to the table - will beat out a creative piece with a few grammar hiccups.

Anyway not a gripe just a view point from a player.

Cheers.

gorilla

First Grade
Mixmasterreece said:
I like this idea. To be honest I'm very happy with the reffing and I think they all do a great job. The only thing I find is how subjective the marking is, theres some articles I've read that have received marks of 80 which I've thought under a different ref probably would of got 90 as they were extremely creative pieces.

I think anything that brings more structure (without being to complicated) to the reffing is a positive move.

I think obviously the 25 points for execution is very important, but I also feel 25 points allocated to creativity is a great incentive for people to step outside the square and put together an interesting piece.

It sort of seems at the moment that an extremely well executed piece - even if the subject has done many times before & nothing new has been bought to the table - will beat out a creative piece with a few grammar hiccups.

Anyway not a gripe just a view point from a player.

Cheers.
I'm a big believer in creativity and when reffing the same old stories don't mark as high as fresher ideas, but there are good quality and interesting posts that are not 'creative' that need that 25 % as well.
And if the piece is extremely well executed, then the other piece needs to be good as well, not just unusual.

gorilla said:
I'm a big believer in creativity and when reffing the same old stories don't mark as high as fresher ideas, but there are good quality and interesting posts that are not 'creative' that need that 25 % as well.
And if the piece is extremely well executed, then the other piece needs to be good as well, not just unusual.

Yeah reading that I tend to agree