What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Hill update - SMH 6/7/06

Hurriflatch

Referee
Lucky 13 means Hill can stay, Broncos next mission
font Brad Walter
July 6, 2006

MELBOURNE five-eighth Scott Hill is set to decide his future within days - and the former international hasn't ruled out staying at the Storm.

Hill, who is considering offers from Parramatta and three Super League clubs, will make his 13th appearance of the season for Melbourne in tomorrow night's top-of-the-table clash with Brisbane in a remarkable turnaround after being dropped to the Storm's North Sydney feeder team just six weeks ago.

More significantly, the game entitles Hill to activate a clause in his contract giving him the option of remaining with the Storm for a further two years.

The club has been grooming teenager Jackson Nicolau, who played five-eighth for Queensland Residents in the curtain-raiser to last night's State of Origin, as Hill's long-term replacement and last week re-signed the Maroons under-19s representative to a new two-year deal.

But Hill's form since serving a two-week suspension for pushing referee Sean Hampstead and his subsequent banishment to premier league has been good enough to have him considered as the next option to Mark Gasnier for the NSW five-eighth job.

"It seems a while ago now that Scott and I were sitting alone in the dressing room at North Sydney Oval wondering where we went from there," Hill's agent, Brian Satterley, said. "The big thing was to get to 13 games. Once Scott does that it gives him the option of staying in Melbourne if he wants to."

In other contract news, Wests Tigers winger Taniela Tuiaki yesterday agreed to terms for a new two-year deal, while Penrith have retained the services of Michael Gordon for the same period.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/l...os-next-mission/2006/07/05/1151779015208.html

Parraren

Bench
Am I the only one who thinks this is a very important signing for us. We desperately need a 5/8 with experience to partner Timmy and/or Blake Green.

I'd go as far to say that if we miss out on signing Hill, we should go after Jason Smith, even if it's only for one year.

The benefits young Tim Smith & Blake Green will get training and playing alongside these guys is priceless. Not to mention the fact that they are genuine ball playing 5/8's, something we really lack.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraren said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is a very important signing for us. We desperately need a 5/8 with experience to partner Timmy and/or Blake Green.

I'd go as far to say that if we miss out on signing Hill, we should go after Jason Smith, even if it's only for one year.

The benefits young Tim Smith & Blake Green will get training and playing alongside these guys is priceless. Not to mention the fact that they are genuine ball playing 5/8's, something we really lack.

I'd stop short in saying critical, but it's definitely important.

strider

Post Whore
i think he would be a very important acquisition, but it may depend on the terms - what if he wants 3yrs or something? would it be worth it?

Hurriflatch

Referee
If the conditions are right ie length of contract, any clauses and of course the actual $$$ amount per year, then Hill will be a good signing but there is just too much risk in him signing for me to be overally excited.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
If the conditions are right ie length of contract, any clauses and of course the actual $$$ amount per year, then Hill will be a good signing but there is just too much risk in him signing for me to be overally excited.

No more risk in signing Hill than there is in signing Tahu. The bloke has Origin, Australian and first grade experience. He is a very good player. He has had injury problems in the past but then so did Tahu.

I'd be more than happy if we signed a genuine option in the 6 jersey.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
Colonel: Very true

but Tahu was 24-25 when signed
Scott Hill is 28-29 (or so)

And? Morrison is older than Hill as is Stringer and would have been when we signed them. Hill is a very classy player and if we manage to sign the bloke he will be a very good acquisition.

Gronk

Staff member
After he plays his 13th game he can exercise the option in his favour for another two years in Melbourne. I'm sure he's on good $$$ down there too.

So the Eels will need to make it mighty attractive package to trump Storm & the UK Clubs.

I hope we can snare him, but it would appear to me that it would have to be his desire to play reps again (and that his chances are better with Parra/Hagan) would be the reason he signs with us. Otherwise I would say that he will chase the $$$ in UK and give his family the OS experience that they players often refer to.

:pray:

Hurriflatch

Referee
and with due respect to Stringer we all saw what happened there, he was forced into retirement due to injury and missed a few games before that happened.

Morro other then the major neck injury didn't have a history of injuries and he had come back from that neck injury before playing for Parra

While PJ had a number of clauses/conditions in his deal if he was unable to come back from his injury when Parra signed him.

slippery nipeel

Juniors
Agreed - I think that Hill is a very important purchase. I have watched a lot of Hill over the years and he is class with a capital C. No doubt he would have played more rep stuff except for some bad luck and untimely injuries.

I feel he will stay in the NRL for another 2-3 seasons with either Melbourne or link with Parra, b/f heading to the ESL at 31 or 32. I am not a fan of paying overs but given the loss of experience and the lack of quality recruitment so far, I woldn't complain if we offered him something he couldn't refuse.

Hopefully, his ability to play 5/8 or Lock will help Timmy and Blake to mature into better players - that's assuming we get him of course!!

Latest posts